20 degree Phaser limiters but I see more???

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I have done some research but couldn't figure out why if my limiters are 20 degree max then why an I seeing 30-40 on my nGauge?
Also just to add to the question, if I have limiters and a phaser goes out can the valves still hit the piston? I've been searching but haven't found the specific answer to either question.

https://youtu.be/Rw2ihPr7WkQ

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Are you sure you're monitoring the correct PID? It's 20 degrees per cam, for a total of 40 degrees of cam timing. I see 3 on my Livewire TS, two show individual cam angle, a 3rd shows overall cam timing. If the phasers fail, they should slam against the stops with the rotation of the motor, thus they would be at 0 degrees or "fully advanced." If the spring somehow failed, and they free-floated, then yes there's a good chance you could have PTV if your lift or CL are aggressive enough. My old Thumpr cams called for limiters, but the cam specs indicated they'd never hit PTV unless cam angle were commanded outside the range of its performance anyway. I suppose it was just a safety precaution for the VCT system over-shooting the desired cam angle, perhaps. During normal operation the vast majority of cams will be retarded greatly, optimizing fuel economy over performance. During WOT, the low end demands advancement, I typically see 0 degrees until around 4k/rpm or so, then the cams start retarding to optimize the top end. Usually around 10-14 degrees of cam retard is good performance, depending on the cam specs.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some of the PID descriptions on the nGauge are confusing. You might just be looking at the wrong one.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Are you sure you're monitoring the correct PID? It's 20 degrees per cam, for a total of 40 degrees of cam timing. I see 3 on my Livewire TS, two show individual cam angle, a 3rd shows overall cam timing. If the phasers fail, they should slam against the stops with the rotation of the motor, thus they would be at 0 degrees or "fully advanced." If the spring somehow failed, and they free-floated, then yes there's a good chance you could have PTV if your lift or CL are aggressive enough. My old Thumpr cams called for limiters, but the cam specs indicated they'd never hit PTV unless cam angle were commanded outside the range of its performance anyway. I suppose it was just a safety precaution for the VCT system over-shooting the desired cam angle, perhaps. During normal operation the vast majority of cams will be retarded greatly, optimizing fuel economy over performance. During WOT, the low end demands advancement, I typically see 0 degrees until around 4k/rpm or so, then the cams start retarding to optimize the top end. Usually around 10-14 degrees of cam retard is good performance, depending on the cam specs.

So with the Detroit Rockers that say they don't need limiters I should be safe? With the advance not going over 40 then it is most likely both of the cams together. My tuner set it not to go over the limiter or I would get a CEL. So if I can see individual cam timing then I could compare the two to see if I had a phaser going out. I don't, but just asking.

Last edited:

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Some of the PID descriptions on the nGauge are confusing. You might just be looking at the wrong one.

I will look today and seed what the description says for the different PID's available concerning cam timing.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
So with the Detroit Rockers that say they don't need limiters I should be safe? With the advance not going over 40 then it is most likely both of the cams together. My tuner set it not to go over the limiter or I would get a CEL. So if I can see individual cam timing then I could compare the two to see if I had a phaser going out. I don't, but just asking.

Just to be clear, 0 degrees is as far "advanced" the cams can physically go. 0 degrees is referring to what our VCT tables and computers are concerned with, not the actual spec of the cam. At 0 degrees, the phasers are at rest against the rotation of the motor. The phasers are always under tension by the spring contained in the phasers, internally. When the car is at normal operation, say cruise throttle at 45mph steady, the cam timing table will adjust cam angle based on load from closed loop (open loop being WOT, closed being anything other than WOT condition. Open loop is a commanded table, and will always run off those parameters strictly for performance, while closed loop tries to find the most efficient parameters.). Typically, the most efficient parameters for cruise conditions is to keep the cams as far "retard" as possible, maximizing air flow in and out, keeping the cylinder as hot as to keep carbon build up down and emissions clean (thus why 3v and 4v coyote cars don't need EGR's and other crappy emissions equipment). What causes phasers to move against spring tension, is oil pressure. VCT solenoids control how much oil pressure is allowed into the phasers to push against the spring, and hold a specific cam angle.

The catch. Custom cams (Comp Cams, BBR, Steeda, whoever) are based on their specifications. Comp typically uses stock cams as a base, and increases durations/lifts/ICL/ECL from there. Stock cams have "advance" ground into the cams. So saying 0 degrees, only refers to what the system thinks of as 0 degrees. The true degree of the cam could be an additional 5 or 10 degrees of advancement, at phaser 0 degree. From there the system can retard the cam to move to actual 0 degrees, which may be 5 degrees of cam retard according to the VCT system.

But if you get some yuckety yuck company trying to make money on a "one-off" cam that decides to grind something from scratch, you better pray their techs understand how VCT works and takes it into account. I had a cammed car that got 24-26mpg cruise, 18-20mpg average, and made 10-40 additional whp throughout the power band from low to peak. This combination of efficiency and power can only be had from a VCT or TiVCT engine. If you're using a cam designed to be used in conjunction with VCT, it'll never be a max effort build, but you also won't suffer the inefficiency of a max effort cam, either. Tuner is huge too, which is my point on these yuckety companies that have the nerve to not include a cam spec card with their cams. A tuner can only tune a car as well as the knowledge he's provided with. Any asshat can throw a car on a dyno and fuck with fuel, timing, and cam angle until it makes it's best numbers safely. A real tuner makes sure your car isn't chugging fuel at a stop light, or spewing shitty emissions cruising down the freeway. Hard to do without knowing the cam specs. A tuner going into the cam tables and wiping out everything above 40 degrees and leaving the car to its own devices after that, isn't doing you any favors, for all anyone knows 35 degrees is out of that cams efficiency range and isn't helping save fuel or emissions.

I know most of this wasn't specifically informative as to the OP's issue, I'm fairly certain it's a matter of looking at the correct PID for individual cam angle. But I think it's important stuff when considering putting cams in a car, who made them, for what purpose the cams will serve (mild or wild), and how important a spec card should be to your tuner.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
I know, right? Took me a while to find some of them. All started with trying to find the Fuel Pump Duty Cycle one. I use Torque Pro to monitor/data log so that list is very handy to get the most out of Torque.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I know, right? Took me a while to find some of them. All started with trying to find the Fuel Pump Duty Cycle one. I use Torque Pro to monitor/data log so that list is very handy to get the most out of Torque.

Torque Pro is awesome! I tried it out in preparing to be without my Livewire TS and it does just as well at monitoring. I use it in my WRX as a boost gauge and narrowband gauge. It's super accurate.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
That's not cam advance that's spark. Completely separate

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
OK, Thanks. I didn't see anything saying cam advance then. I'll double check next time I'm home. I'm sure that I need to learn more about what my nGauge can see and how to change it. I'm sure that there is stuff it will do and that I don't have a clue.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back