~ New Guy & WannaBe Drifter - V6 Drift Spec ~

Kaldar142

Reaction score
You guys really think you need all this crap to go drifting...? LOL

I used to drift a 240... Stock 150bhp with coilovers and an LSD... That's it.

It's about the driver and the technique. I mean shit if I can drift a 240 with an open diff and 150hp im pretty sure you can drift a v6 mustang.

Drifting is about suspension and skill, not power... Unless you don't have what it takes

Take it from someone who actually used to drift.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score

It's about the driver and the technique. I mean shit if I can drift a 240 with an open diff and 150hp im pretty sure you can drift a v6 mustang.

Drifting is about suspension and skill, not power... Unless you don't have what it takes

Yeah true, you could get any car off the lot and drift with the rights skill and it if it had LSD, lol. but this is for him to try and build a better car all around I guess. Either way, his money and if he decides, "you know, now i feel like taking this fucker down a drag strip." he'll be able to have a pretty bad ass street/strip car as well. :thumb:

fullsayl

WTFC?
Reaction score

+1 - Get the LSD and go from there. The rest is totally window dressing until you actually need it. Now if all you want to do is drop money and make the car fast, then knock yourself out. But that list is WAY overkill to start :omfg:

FWIW - I currently run ABR and a couple of events. Its a kick and learning is half of the fun. Good luck!

Matty

~Matty

Thinkkker

Reaction score
Learn what you are doing first. If you get semi serious and get into trying to tandem and such you may want another car. Either to daily drive or to drift in. Putting your DD into a wall is not a pretty thing.

Invest in wheels, lots of em, and crappy tires. Have fun. For all you are looking at doing get a variety of wheels 16, 17, 18, etc so you can get whatever tires you can find for cheap to run.

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
Learn what you are doing first. If you get semi serious and get into trying to tandem and such you may want another car. Either to daily drive or to drift in. Putting your DD into a wall is not a pretty thing.

Invest in wheels, lots of em, and crappy tires. Have fun. For all you are looking at doing get a variety of wheels 16, 17, 18, etc so you can get whatever tires you can find for cheap to run.

+1

There is no need to invest in all of this aftermarket/add-on stuff at once. Safety should be your number one priority, and then you can move on to suspension because I guarantee for your first few events it will be you as a driver that holds your car back from performing at it's fullest potential.

Here's my setup, I can currently road race and drift at the flick of a wrist (or at the adjustment of my shocks/struts :clap:)
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Tokico D-Spec Shocks/Struts
J&M Camber Plates (just installed today ;))
Helwig Rear Sway Bar
GT Takeoff Front Sway Bar
J&M Lower Control Arms
CHE K-member/Torque Limiter Brace
GT Takeoff 8.8" w 3.55 gears
JLT II Intake with Bama Tunes
Hurst ST Shifter
5Zigen FN01R-C 17x9" rims w/ Nitto NT555 tires

The first and most important mod you can get is driver experience. Learn your car, as it is, and become familiar with it. Practice and practice drifting. Yes, you'll probably need an LSD, but believe it or not there are folks that momentum drift on open-differentials.

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for the advise. I have a ok Job and Girlfriend so I cant afford over 10 grand of upgrades but I would like to reach as much as these upgrades as possible gradually.

8.8 Rear End & Trac Loc are up first followed by Tein Flex Suspension Package.

So looks like I will be getting back to you 4 grand later :D

I weight about 320 pounds so gonna try and lose 80 pounds over the summer to add to performance... thats worth about 500 dollars of mods alone I think LOL

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
7.5" traction-lok limited slip differential

Has anyone installed a "7.5" TRACTION-LOK LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL " to their V6's?

Is it much of a job?

will I need to add any other parts when doing this install

any feedback is much appreciated

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a "7.5" TRACTION-LOK LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL " to their V6's?

Is it much of a job?

will I need to add any other parts when doing this install

any feedback is much appreciated

I have it, but I didn't install it myself. I had it installed at the dealer for warranty purposes. It's a good piece and I think I only paid like 200 for it new almost two years ago.

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
Great How much would the labor costs be do you think to install?

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
doing it yourself might be a little cheaper, but I just got it done there so I wouldn't have to worry about it, and should anything go wrong with it, I just take it back! lol.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Working with diffs is one of those things where if you don't even know what you're up against it's not be a good idea to DIY..there are a number of things that can go wrong. You'd probably be looking at $600-800 installed depending on your local labor rates.

I consider myself a veteran wrench; I've built multiple engines and transmissions but for my DD I'm planning on having my gears done by a shop when the time comes. Most of that decision comes from getting a warranty, but I will also admit part of that is because I've got more disposable income and less free time than I have had in the past, FWIW.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
It looks like you are willing to sink in a decent amount of money here. With the cost of parts and installation (assuming someone else is doing the installs) for the turbo, transmission, and rear end, it seems like it might be more cost effective to just start out with a GT model? Then you would just get the coilovers (if you need them) and then possibly an aftermarket shifter?

Not trying to start a V8 versus V6 debate here, but it looks like alot of what you are trying to do is to bring the V6 model up to similar specs as the GT.

Last edited:

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
Hi thanks everyone for you help. I called up the Ford dealer where i bought my car & they said it would cost $650 to install all of these parts:

Ford Racing T-Lok Differential for 2005 Mustang V6 Part# M-4204-C75
Yukon Ring Gear and Pinion 4.10 for 7.5in Part# YGF7.5-411
Yukon Rear End Master Installation Kit for 7.5in V6 Rear End part# YKF7.5
Yukon 79-08 Cross Pin Notched for 7.5 Part# RG-800271

They mentioned that they would also have to reprogram the speedometer? Is that true.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Hi thanks everyone for you help. I called up the Ford dealer where i bought my car & they said it would cost $650 to install all of these parts:

Ford Racing T-Lok Differential for 2005 Mustang V6 Part# M-4204-C75
Yukon Ring Gear and Pinion 4.10 for 7.5in Part# YGF7.5-411
Yukon Rear End Master Installation Kit for 7.5in V6 Rear End part# YKF7.5
Yukon 79-08 Cross Pin Notched for 7.5 Part# RG-800271

They mentioned that they would also have to reprogram the speedometer? Is that true.

yeah man, they have to. I guess not bad pricing on the install of all those parts, but someone started another thread here regarding rear ends... Just be careful how much money you're willing to put into a little 7.5 rear. That Being said, good luck on the build.

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
yeah man, they have to. I guess not bad pricing on the install of all those parts, but someone started another thread here regarding rear ends... Just be careful how much money you're willing to put into a little 7.5 rear. That Being said, good luck on the build.

I forgot to mention all of the parts cost me $560.
The 650 is just for labor. I took a look at the instruction manual & man o man do you need a lot of tools I have never seen or heard of.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
I forgot to mention all of the parts cost me $560.
The 650 is just for labor. I took a look at the instruction manual & man o man do you need a lot of tools I have never seen or heard of.

smart guy taking it to a shop to do it. heed the warning though, when you ever decide to go out to the drag strip, or put some sticky tires on there, know you've still got all that into a 7.5. one that's much stronger than stock, but still 7.5. I wish you the best and let us know when your next round of mods comes in. :beerchug2:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back