~ New Guy & WannaBe Drifter - V6 Drift Spec ~

BlackNine

forum member
Reaction score
If you dont have posi I would imagine you'd wanna start there. It looks like that was your problem in the video you posted. The power on the 4.0 isnt bad, my girlfriends stang with a tuner, intake and exhaust will stay up with my GT alot better than youd expect. The motor is also torquey as hell. Then again, I learned how to "drift" in a muddy field with an f-150, so take that as what you will.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Is the insurance really that much more? I'm 20 and my Gt didn't cost anymore than my slow ass truck.

yeah dude, when I drove a 98 explorer insurance was a breeze. not super cheap, but better than this one.

and Duster, you said what I've been trying to say in my last two posts without saying it. lol. 8.8 ftw.

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I am going to have this installed by a buddy do I need any other parts for the gear and LSD Change?

First Real install.. Diff & Gears

FordRacingDiff.jpg

Ford Racing T-Lok Differential for 2005 Mustang V6

YG-F75-373.jpg

Motive, Not Yukon - Ring and Pinion 4.10 for 7.5in

Yukon.jpg

Yukon Rear End Master Installation Kit for 7.5in V6 Rear End

&

pin.jpg

79-08 Cross Pin Notched for 7.5

Thanks ,
Anthony :asshat:

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
just saying drifting takes ALOT of money anything in motorsports does so if this is you dd id start with a 240sx or something cheaper to beat on and destroy...i dont under stand spending more on making your 6r to a drifter for more money than you bought it for...cause im seeing ATLEAST 15k to get started

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
Ya in a way you are right, I will get a beater like a 240 but for now I want to work on this as a project also.. Its something different to the drift scene that Im in right
there all S13's & S14's.

Last edited:

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
^understand your trying to be diff but if this is your only car it wont be too good putting it into a wall or curb (by your chin spoiler looks like you already did) i would LOVE to be a drifter im just saying it would prolly be smarter if you were gonna put 15gs in a 13k car...would rether maybe start with a gt atleast...good luck with what ever you do way to go after what you want.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
The difference between the V6 and the GT brakes are the size of the front rotors. The calipers and rear brakes are the same.

true, the calipers are the same, but the caliper mount is different. They're about $75 new from Ford. Probably half that used.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
just saying drifting takes ALOT of money anything in motorsports does so if this is you dd id start with a 240sx or something cheaper to beat on and destroy...i dont under stand spending more on making your 6r to a drifter for more money than you bought it for...cause im seeing ATLEAST 15k to get started

spend $5K for a car and spend $25K on it to get it driftable, Or spend $15K on the car and $15K to get it driftable. What's the diff ? Looks like he wants to drift his V6 Mustang, more power to him. I understand what you're saying, financially there are better ways to get into the sport. But racing has never been about money, it's about racing.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
Hahaha that's funny cause money has everything to do with racing...I'm guessing you have never really raced anything? Huh?

it aint ABOUT the money, it's about going racing. If you want to go racing the money is secondary.

Searspoint, PIR, SIR, Willow Springs, Woodburn, Fremont Dragstrip, Washougal Motocross park, Indian Dunes motocross park, Barstow to Vegas, a couple of the places I've raced. Guess maybe I have, huh ? :handjob:

TexStang

Reaction score
not trying to bring up the v8/v6 debate, but like previously said, why not start with a GT, since you are going to be basically upgrading everything in the drivetrain to GT specs, minus the motor. I dont see how insurance is a problem if you are looking at spending 11grand on parts. Why not start off with a little bit better platform that requires alot less work to get it up to par? Just something to think on

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
not trying to bring up the v8/v6 debate, but like previously said, why not start with a GT, since you are going to be basically upgrading everything in the drivetrain to GT specs, minus the motor. I dont see how insurance is a problem if you are looking at spending 11grand on parts. Why not start off with a little bit better platform that requires alot less work to get it up to par? Just something to think on

these Mustangs aren't real high on the re-sale charts. I think he'd probably take a bit of a beating selling his sixer and then finding a GT. Around these parts the GT's command quite a bit higher dollar.

But maybe he wants as light a platform as possible w/the six? Or maybe he just wants something different ? Hard to say, but he's got the V6 now, so what better place to start than what ya got.

Bryan East

Bryan East
Reaction score
Hey dude more power to you I think it's great that you are supporting the sport I got a gt 07 screwed up though (it's automatic) I drift it sometimes but the constant forward revolution of an auto just wants to go full circle or straighten up when I lay it on but keep it up I'll see you at formula D... Keep an eye out for Bryan "Crowne" East Keep it on closed courses:hi::beerchug2:

Reaction score
Hey, is that front spoiler from Bangastang? I think I recognize the kit.

You can certainly drift a V6 Mustang, but it will take a little work. Your car looks awesome for a V6 though. The front and rear really stand out.

You will need to look into swapping out the dinky rear end that you have and getting a 8.8" rear end for sure. PM me if you want more details on setting the whole car up BTW. In the 8.8" you are going to want something dramatic like 4.56 gears, but 4.10s at a minimum for what you want to accomplish. This will hurt your top speed (but not relevant in drifting). And highway mileage will suffer too of course. Without the 8.8" rear in general you shouldn't add much power to the V6 otherwise you're looking at driveline failure.

It looks like you have the Pony Package, so the good news is that you already have the rear anti-sway bar. Now once you get the 8.8" you are going to need Billet LCAs, and an adjustable UCA. Also an adjustable Panhard bar would be preferable.

Have you looked into what clutch you want to use? You will need a fairly decent one to handle the drift stress and not slip or heat up.

Now, how do you feel about power adders? With drift you shouldn't use nitrous because you're just asking for a backfire. But a turbo would be best for that setup, not a supercharger. The roots style blower will just heat soak and take the fun away. A good air-to-air intercooled turbo with a methanol injection kit would be tits for your goal. That, of course, would come after the rear end upgrade.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
it aint ABOUT the money, it's about going racing. If you want to go racing the money is secondary.

Searspoint, PIR, SIR, Willow Springs, Woodburn, Fremont Dragstrip, Washougal Motocross park, Indian Dunes motocross park, Barstow to Vegas, a couple of the places I've raced. Guess maybe I have, huh ? :handjob:
I raced motocross as well and if that not bout money idk what kind of bike and motocross you were racing....good $500 a weekend to race...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back