PowerHouse 4.0 to GT500 5.4 Turbo project

Buckman

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All, as many of you are aware; I was faced with two options when I pushed the limits of the 4.0. Go with a rebuilt 4.0, or go with a GT500 5.4 swap. My main goal was to keep the car unique, and both would have allotted me this

I ended up going with the 5.4, it allows me to be the first to have a turbo’d GT500 5.4, and it will also be the first PH kit designed for this motor. It’s an intense build up, and Mike@PH has already done a lot of R&D developing this kit with conversion components so we can bring this to the market, and help other GT500 5.4 owners that want to do the swap.

Build Up Highlights:
  • First PH GT500 5.4 Pipeline Turbo Kit
  • 5.4 4V Motor Swap
  • 4R70 Transmission
  • Powerhouse 6PT Roll Cage
  • Additional suspension components, Moser Axles, CHE Radiator Support, etc...
I will use this thread to keep everyone updated on the project. I’m very excited about it and can’t wait to see how it turns out. Currently, the engine is at PH and Mike is doing some R&D on the intake to convert the 5.4 to take the turbo.

questions/comments are welcome.

Mike's additional notes (copied from MustangCollective site)
The motor is a used unit removed from a low milage test car.
The used engine is missing some of the FEAD (front engine accessory drive) components as well as some other misc. components.
I am in the process of wrangling these components up to complete the GT500 "package".
Unfortunately, this will not be a quick build, The swap and turbocharging portion are quick and easy, The timeline for some of the components not. In an effort to fit within a reasonable budget it forces us to be patient and resourceful. This patience will pay off in the long run to net a very well rounded package, that is both affordable and powerful.
Most of the components for the swap are off the shelf, meaning that they are readily available and easily aquired.

The details are still up in the air, I can say that all the tubing will be the same 304 ss as our other systems, the turbocharger will be a Garrett based piece, the wastegate will be from TiAl, the trans from Lentech, the torque converter from Precision, and the fabrication, assembly and tuning will all done here in house.
We have done a few 4r70w swaps so those necessary components have been sourced/ fabricated and are ready to go.

The next week or two will be very busy here at the shop as we have a few cars that are being "stepped up" for the end of the season. After that is done I would expect to find more technical information begin to appear on this thread.

Upper intake manifold, and turbo plumbing will be the first to occur. and should finish very quickly once it is started.

I will keep Lance posted, but once I get on a roll and the sparks start to fly it is difficult for me to take a break and take photos, but I will do the best that I can.

I will try to update periodically as changes are made, for now here is a teaser pic:
gt500engine1.jpg

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Sounds like a killer project... :clap:

... but I don't think this thread belongs in the 4.0L Tech section anymore. Hell... I'm not sure which section it should go into. It's not a 4.0, not a 4.6 and not a GT500... :thud:

We need some sort of "mutant" section. haha

Buckman

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don, I didn't know where to put it!
I imagine Mike will have some updates in a couple weeks, will try to keep the thread updated as we go forward.

Redfire

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Everything looks good Lance. I can't wait to see and run against the finished product.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
awesome. i cant wait to see how this turns out

fin1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks good Lance. I'll be up at PH today so I'll get a look-ski. I look forward to seeing the progress and can't wait to see what this thing will do at the track.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Lance can't wait to see that beast run. good luck and keep us posted.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome project. The vin says v6 so keep it here.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I'm interested in which wiring components you have to change out to make the 5.4 4V work in the car. This is going to be an interesting project.

LSlayer

forum member
Reaction score
Man I envy some of the guys here. A lot of first time endovors on this site. Wish I had more free time and money. Can't wait to see the first 4 digit street driven S197.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We may already have some there. Mark (CK) has got to be close.

LSlayer

forum member
Reaction score
REALLY!!! In knew CK was layin it down but I didn't think there was even any streetable S197s in the 900 RWHP range. I figured mid to uper 800s at best. Then again you have that nasty ass Shardach(spelling) twin turbo monster thats puttin a hurting on the pavement. Damn dyno queen.

GT4Dino

Whimple Whomper
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll let Mark correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he is in the 575-625rwhp range.

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your car is gonna be a monster.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the GT500 5.4 will fit in the 2006 frame? I thought that Ford redesigned the 2007 strut towers specificly for the 5.4 4V to fit in the S197.

Just a thought, Good Luck Buckman I can't wait to see her run in 08.

fazm

Reaction score
there was a guy that put a complete gt500 motor with auto tranny into an 05 or 06 mustang v6, so i would assume it fits just fine.

Back