Check engine lght came on llast nigh???

247idot

forum member
Reaction score
Last night as i was driveing home and the check engine light came on its a po172 code i looked it up and found out that its running to lean on bank 1. What should i do to correct this for good?? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your car is wanting my sway bars...LOL...good luck in figuring it out!

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I HOPE this doesn;t turn into a chat thread... :whistling:

I'm just sayin' :oops:

Aandf1978

M90 SUPPORTER!!
Reaction score
P0172 is actually running too RICH on bank one. Here is something to start:

Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary

Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling

Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches

Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail

Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.

Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
P0172 is actually running too RICH on bank one. Here is something to start:

Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary

Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling

Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches

Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail

Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.

Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)

good answer, to the OP, some due diligence is due on your part. You will need to open the hood and do a thorough check of all lines and connections. Too lean usually means a vacuum leak. Too rich as AandF1978 said is something else. So before you say; "I got a code, what's wrong" you need to rule some things out first so the smart people in this forum, of which I am not one, can help you.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Check your PCV hose and valve, too; it's on the passenger side. It shouldn't throw a code, though.
Bank #1 is passenger side.
In addition to what's been suggested, check your air filter; replace or clean it if dirty. And definitely clean the MAF, with proper chemicals.
Also check your EGR to make sure it's not cracked or leaking (sucking air in).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back