Custom Intercooler w/X charger

06stangV^

Reaction score
I purchused a used X Charger from a member of another forum and was thinking of adding the intercooler from explorer express. I have a Intercooler thats of course from ebay, ( know of 2 guys using it on a centri and say its good) laying around at my house. I was gonna purchase a guys pro-charger and I was to late before he decided to keep it.

Is it possible to take that intercooler and fabricate something to be able to use it with the X Charger? I emailed the Shop in Va that is gonna install the X Charger and do Dyno tune. Usually it takes about 2-3 days for him to respond though. I was just wondering if its possible and worth it.

My car is gonna be my toy, but going to my wife since when I get back Im getting a 03-04 Cobra. I would like to atleast have a intercooler on it, but not spend $2000.00 for it.

JimC

Reaction score
The Xcharger intercooler requires a new lower intake to fit the "radiator" that goes between the blower and the lower intake. It is more than just the radiator/heat exchanger up front so you have to figure out how you will get the intake air to go through the coolant.

Take a look that installation manual for the intercooler and you will see that the procharger set up will be missing a critical component.

Last edited:

maverickwolfe

forum member
Reaction score
I'm curious what 'other forum' you found a used xcharger on...seems like there's not a lot of 4.0 stuff here and I can't find a 4.0 specific community. PM me if you guys know of one that has a better used 4.0 market.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No. That intercooler you have/describe is an air-to-air intercooler for a centri blower or turbo. The xcharger is a roots style m90, which requires a water to air intercooler mounted under the blower and a heat exchnager mounted up front with a coolant pump.

Reaction score
You are much better off running a meth system, then going through all that trouble. The 20hp gained on the v6 will not be worth it, at all.

JimC

Reaction score
I don't know about that - going to the Xtreme intercooled Xcharger took my car into the 12's this year. The RWHP was just over 22 on a very rich tune and the torque increase was an addition 45 ft lb.

martino

Reaction score
meth kits are about 200-500 and could yield smae or better results...best bang for the buck....

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
yea but you gotta keep filling it...
id much rather not be pounding my motor wiht hot air. maybe its just in my head...but id feel much better from both a longevity standpoint, as well as just not having to worry about whether the thing is full, frozen...etc.

06stangV^

Reaction score
@mavrickwolfe yup mustangcollective is your best bang for buck as far as 4.0.

@JimC yeah As on mustang collective Im goin the intercooler route anyways. Since Im gonna be stationed in hawaii and the constant 85 degree weather its better that way. Plus after the intercooler, interior items and under hood items to make it a little better looking. Im gonna go the route of meth kit

JimC

Reaction score
I just bought a 3v longblock for that much.
$1500 for "30" hp. I don't get it.

I guess you don't have to get it - it was worth it to me.

What else will you have to buy for your shortblock to finish it off and install it in your car? I think that you will have more than $1500 in that project - and how much more RWHP will you pick up per $1 spent on the conversion?

bullittrevor

forum member
Reaction score
I just bought a 3v longblock for that much.
$1500 for "30" hp. I don't get it.
$1500 for 30hp isn't that far out of the norm. My longtubes, h-pipe and axle back cost 1,500 dollars and I probably only gained around 25rwhp. Cams are ~$800+ and you gain about 20-25rwhp. I don't see where your getting your idea that $1,500 for 30hp isn't worth it. :thud:

Reaction score
I guess you don't have to get it - it was worth it to me.

What else will you have to buy for your shortblock to finish it off and install it in your car? I think that you will have more than $1500 in that project - and how much more RWHP will you pick up per $1 spent on the conversion?

Total was 2350, and it was the longblock for 1500. with 7k miles.
I went from a 300hp v6 to about a 300hp v8, maybe more. The tq will make the difference. I sold the supercharger for 3000 and I'm making a coffee table out of the v6, so I think I'm gonna end up dividing by zero here, stop me before I do.

You are much better off running a meth system, then going through all that trouble. The 20hp gained on the v6 will not be worth it, at all.

And this is what I meant by my statement. You get the same amount of gains for way less money.
And yes, there are ways to get a 3v a 30hp gain without spending 1500, maybe in your case, a lot of expensive exhaust was the answer. But a $50 93 octane tune and a $100 intake will get me that. Maybe a $250 electric water pump, some udp's, a k&n drop in?

Last edited:

Meister

forum member
Reaction score
When not get a chemical intercooler such as water methanol? It works just as good and also increase your octane.

bullittrevor

forum member
Reaction score
Total was 2350, and it was the longblock for 1500. with 7k miles.
I went from a 300hp v6 to about a 300hp v8, maybe more. The tq will make the difference. I sold the supercharger for 3000 and I'm making a coffee table out of the v6, so I think I'm gonna end up dividing by zero here, stop me before I do.

And this is what I meant by my statement. You get the same amount of gains for way less money.
And yes, there are ways to get a 3v a 30hp gain without spending 1500, maybe in your case, a lot of expensive exhaust was the answer. But a $50 93 octane tune and a $100 intake will get me that. Maybe a $250 electric water pump, some udp's, a k&n drop in?
:crazy:

JimC

Reaction score
With the meth kit you have to make sure the tank is full - same issue with nitrous - never have to worry about whether I have any fluid in the tank with the Xtreme.

And you can't get the same performance out of the meth kit. A friend had the meth and we put the Xtreme on his car this past summer. It is a night and day difference in performance.

The Xtreme is much more consistent for performance also. Ron is the only other person to get an Xcharger into the 12's and he didn't do it on a meth kit alone.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back