PCM question.. i did search

06slow6

Reaction score
ok so i have a 06 v6 (yeah i know but just bare with me...) and it wont start has power at every vital starting point and i did have all components tested. i recently bought a OBD II scanner and when i tried reading codes/ linking it to the vehicle it would not allow me telling me that it could not access. when i did the same thing with my SCT tuner it gave me the same error when previously it worked fine. ive came to the conclusion that my pcm is bad, does this seem logical/ possible or am i just going crazy?

sorry if this is the wrong section, if so can a mod please move it to the appropriate section.
thankyou for any help/ comments.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
did you try returning to stock and re-uploading your tune? I would try that first. (unless its already on the stock tune?)

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
+1. try reflashing to stock.
Although, if the sct wont read the pcm, you cant return it to stock, can you.

If your '06 is an automatic, I have a PCM from a '05 for sale that'll work as a direct replacement.

06slow6

Reaction score
+1. try reflashing to stock.
Although, if the sct wont read the pcm, you cant return it to stock, can you.

If your '06 is an automatic, I have a PCM from a '05 for sale that'll work as a direct replacement.
yea i cant return to stock, i would take you up on that offer, but id have to have it reprogrammed to my vin and everything, thanks for the offer but im already planning on buying one from a aftermarket OEM re manufacturer for about 250 already programmed, i just want to be sure im not just buying something thats not going to be my problem

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Will the OEM re-man one be compatible with your PATS? That would be an issue you need to find out about. If you'll still have to reprogram PATS, buying a new one would still cost you more, to get around PATS.

Otherwise, there's no difference in buying a used one vs a new one; the VIN number in the PCM is usually not important, although some locales *could* use it during OBDII inspections to verify vin to the windshield vin. Otherwise there's no use of the VIN being set to your car in the PCM.

You should first check a few fuses a relays (the ones for 'communications network', PCM power, etc). [yes, I know you posted they've been checked; sorry.] Disconnect the battery, unplug and replug in the PCM connectors, especially the center one.

Let us know how it works out :)

06slow6

Reaction score
yeah the reman is completely configured to my car and is a simple plug and play swap. yeah ive checked relays and fuses but they all appear to be fine. im going to check again before i go to spend the cash on the computer, i intend on ordering on Thursday or Friday so hopefully things will be figured out quickly since it is my DD and has been broken since February

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Did u talk to ford? They may be able to do a re-flash back to stock for you. Hope your tuner doesn't get locked out after the swap. Good luck![PHOTOB][/PHOTOB]

soyomakate

Reaction score
Had this exact same issue with an 07 GT, sct tune and all
The PCM was in fact toast..or the tune..the pcm itself was ok..i was able to reflash to an as-built tune using ford ids/vcm! if your local to Washington dc i could do it for you!

let me know

06slow6

Reaction score
Had this exact same issue with an 07 GT, sct tune and all
The PCM was in fact toast..or the tune..the pcm itself was ok..i was able to reflash to an as-built tune using ford ids/vcm! if your local to Washington dc i could do it for you!

let me know

im in philly, pa so its a long ride for that but thanks for the offer:beer: and i spoke with ford and since its out of warentty no one wants to touch it for a good price, it would be cheaper to buy the reman programmed one for 290 than to have ford do it. i was on the phone with sct and they made me a tune to force the pcm to stock and it was infact unable to do it because of the possibility of the pcm being fried, hopefully i can get this sorted out soon so i can get this thing back on the road

soyomakate

Reaction score
i'd bet your pcm i hardware wise good..but the tune just got corrupt and no longer speaks to the DLC! which makes regular sct and other tunes unable to speak to the PCM! fords vcm/ids system uses a different port to force the as built tune into the pcm

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back