The Great Oil Debate

devildog1679

forum member
Reaction score
Just leave the fucking transmission alone. Fuk people. Drive it until it breaks, then take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. Case closed. So sick of this shit.

That's the route I'm taking. I got a late August 2011 build date so I got the new fluid. So far with WI winter I double clutch 2-3 for first 5 minutes. After that shifting is smooth.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Just leave the fucking transmission alone. Fuk people. Drive it until it breaks, then take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. Case closed. So sick of this shit.

+1. I wont believe any of you that say you've never had notchy cold shifting from a Tremec.

12,500 miles on mine now, 05/10 build date, no problem.

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
+1. I wont believe any of you that say you've never had notchy cold shifting from a Tremec.

12,500 miles on mine now, 05/10 build date, no problem.

Yeah I have had 6 other manual sports cars including an 07 C6 and 09 GT500, and those cars shifted like semi trucks when cold. There were no TSBs for it. There shouldnt be. When fluid is cold, and stuck to the bottom of the trans, and the only way to get it hot and moving around is to drive it, then WHAT do you expect????? This is not rocket science. I laughed my ass off at that guy a few months back that decided to swap out his MT82 for a TR6060!?!?!?!? What a joke. The vette and GT500 guys have 10x more problems like getting denied the 1-2 shift at wot, among many other issues. Our issue here with the 5.0 is that this is a new model, and there are so many that were bought as peoples FIRST sports car. They had never driven the tremec JUNK that has been put in every mustang since the early 90's. This is their first mustang and have no idea that is going to TICK, and shift rough!!!!!!! Again, this is real deal stuff, not rocket science. If you were dumb enough that you needed your car to shift like butter right out of the driveway, so you took it in and had the TSB done, then you deserve your extra whiney trans. You basicly sacrificed your normal operating temp protection for a smooth shift for the first 5 minutes of driving. Just take it easy on the damn thing for a few minutes in the morning, then you can whomp on it when all is up to temp. Ford only issued a TSB for the whiners, not because there was a real problem.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I've had a Tremec 3650 for 4800 miles and it wasn't close to being as bad as this MT 82 at 2000 miles when cold or warm.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score
I have to say, the T3650 in my 2008 GT and the T6060 in my 2009 GT500 are butter smooth with Amsoil ATF in them.

Below freezing, you could tell a little difference, but nothing like reported with the MT-82. Despite the 1-2 shift troubles experienced with the T6060 in the 2010+ GT500, it's worlds better of a transmission than the MT-82 will ever be.

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
@ UnleashedBeast

I'm using BG Synchro Shift II(accidentally called it Synchromesh in another thread) with great results and I was hoping to get your professional opinions on it.

API GL-4 SAE 75w-80
Meets Ford PN D80Z19C547A

I have yet to find a characteristic that would be considered a compromise. Cold weather or warm, it shifts smooth and is quiet.

Grabber2012

Reaction score
I have to agree with ZXmustang just let it warm up some and it shifts great, I also must say I do live in Florida so it doesn't see freezing temps but a few times a year.

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
I have to agree with ZXmustang just let it warm up some and it shifts great, I also must say I do live in Florida so it doesn't see freezing temps but a few times a year.

When I got my new trans with factory Ford fluid, it shifted poorly even when completely warm. Difficult to go into 1st coming to a stop, and going into 5th just cruising along. I had the BG fluid in my car before the replacement and it shifted great. After I put it in my new trans it went back the butter smooth trans I had before.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score

For mine it begins to get notchy under 60 degrees with only 2000 miles on the car. It's also a matter of finding out what works best on this transmission because one day it will be out of warranty and I don't want to have to replace the transmission as part of the routine maintenance.

Grabber2012

Reaction score
I understand your concerns about warranty and routine maintenance I have a 2012 with 4,000 miles on it now and no issues. But my 3650 which I loved was a little rough also when cold, I guess down the road if I have major problems with it and if the car is out of warranty then I'll save my pennies for a magnum swap then no tranny problems for life.

topbliss

Reaction score
With RP in my trans in my 07, warm and cold its butter smooth and never any grinding... Has anyone tried Royal Purple in the MT-82? Does it work?

I have to say, the T3650 in my 2008 GT and the T6060 in my 2009 GT500 are butter smooth with Amsoil ATF in them.

Below freezing, you could tell a little difference, but nothing like reported with the MT-82. Despite the 1-2 shift troubles experienced with the T6060 in the 2010+ GT500, it's worlds better of a transmission than the MT-82 will ever be.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec-blog/?p=10539
If there is nothing wrong with the MT82 why have there been so many failures? Why does FORD throw every fix at it only to have the same transmission fail? Whats wrong with putting in a quality synthetic oil into the trans even if your only going for a placebo effect? Why would you not change to your preferred brand of oil, you do it in your engine dont you? You run a specific gas because YOU think it performs better. I could go on and on. Ill be changing mine out soon only because i can. I like to have that peace of mind.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
^There is nothing wrong with these transmissions. Ford did a "thorough" investigation and found that the problem has been escalated because we forum members won't shut up about it lol.

ZXMustang

5.0 4V Owner
Reaction score
^There is nothing wrong with these transmissions. Ford did a "thorough" investigation and found that the problem has been escalated because we forum members won't shut up about it lol.

Yeah, furthermore there were only what like 38 or so cases in that investigation?? Out of how many cars? Not to mention, if your trans stays notchy after a complete warm up, then take it to the dealer... Dont try to forum diagnose then add all kinds of different fluids. What if the dealer gets a bug up their butts to test your fluid, then your car gets denied for the power train warranty because they find that you changed the viscosity of the fluid so it would shift better. NO manual transes will let you throw the stick from one gear to the next without a "heaitation" or notch between gears. ALL manual cars to this. now under WOT, it will let you. But not during normal driving, this is all normal. I still believe that more than half of these people with trans problems dont actually know what normal operation is with a car like this. And guess what, Ford agrees with me according to that investigation.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
^According to the video James posted the person took it to the dealer and they could not duplicate the problem. And it's not just cold start issues depending on where you live in the country. Maybe that is why there are only 38 cases that are reported. IMO Ford is saying it's normal to have a relatively new car drive like a delivery truck with 200 thousand miles on it to save their butts.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I understand your concerns about warranty and routine maintenance I have a 2012 with 4,000 miles on it now and no issues. But my 3650 which I loved was a little rough also when cold, I guess down the road if I have major problems with it and if the car is out of warranty then I'll save my pennies for a magnum swap then no tranny problems for life.

what magnum...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back