MP1900 TVS Up & Running

Nice Pony

Reaction score
Got this intercooled MP1900 TVS running on my built 4.0SOHC. Runs great. Working on data logging to finish off the tune.

Built40SOHCwithMP1900.jpg

Here's a link to the build:
http://www.mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=35934

Last edited:

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
(Properly sized) for the 4.0 - Just checked your link - I have a lot of reading to catch up on - Looks like a very clean and well thought out install and looking forward to more info / intake temp charge temperature, ECT. Nice.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
holy cow, i think i started reading that thread in the beginning, but i missed about 40 pages. so after some reading, nice set up np. lots of great info. bummer about the tunist. guess we`ll have to wait a while to find out whats up. so is this sc gonna out do the x? course you wont be able to compare after the extensive build.

Nice Pony

Reaction score
holy cow, i think i started reading that thread in the beginning, but i missed about 40 pages. so after some reading, nice set up np. lots of great info. bummer about the tunist. guess we`ll have to wait a while to find out whats up. so is this sc gonna out do the x? course you wont be able to compare after the extensive build.

Basically it is an upgrade to the X-Charger. It will easily make a bunch more power. The MP1900 TVS has a much better thermal efficiency at 76% versus the MP90 at 50% and it is also moves 116cubic inches of air per rev versus the MP90 at 90cubic inches.

Justin at VMP is doing the tuning now so no problem.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
Basically it is an upgrade to the X-Charger. It will easily make a bunch more power. The MP1900 TVS has a much better thermal efficiency at 76% versus the MP90 at 50% and it is also moves 116cubic inches of air per rev versus the MP90 at 90cubic inches.

Justin at VMP is doing the tuning now so no problem.
thanks for explaining that. sounds like your good to go, thats too cool. i love seeing 4.0 builds, very impressive indeed. like everyone else, looking forward to the results, its gonna be mean.

Nice Pony

Reaction score
Got a conservative data logging tune from Justin yesterday and was able to get deep into the boost. WOW! Running a 3.0" pulley even with this tune there is a very obvious increase in power over the MP90 running a 2.6" pulley. One things is missing however. The scream the MP90 makes is gone. The MP1900 TVS is pretty much totally quiet. I will take the extra power and mean looking engine bay over the scream.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Got a conservative data logging tune from Justin yesterday and was able to get deep into the boost. WOW! Running a 3.0" pulley even with this tune there is a very obvious increase in power over the MP90 running a 2.6" pulley. One things is missing however. The scream the MP90 makes is gone. The MP1900 TVS is pretty much totally quiet. I will take the extra power and mean looking engine bay over the scream.

Quiet is good. I don't like a lota blower whine. You picked a good combo as I stated before. One thing I don't like about the MP90 is that it is too small for higher air flow / out of efficiency range & quite noisy. If you could share intake charge temps - before intercooler if possible after you finish tuning -, it would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to set up my wife's 2008 V6 and have played with several combinations on paper - engine is stile in hypothetical stage & wife will needs seat time before going faster. I plan to control intake temp with water - more constant - but won't make as much HP.
- Thanks for contributing - I am somewhat new to this forum and people who contribute with hard-data are few.

Nice Pony

Reaction score
Quiet is good. I don't like a lota blower whine. You picked a good combo as I stated before. One thing I don't like about the MP90 is that it is too small for higher air flow / out of efficiency range & quite noisy. If you could share intake charge temps - before intercooler if possible after you finish tuning -, it would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying to set up my wife's 2008 V6 and have played with several combinations on paper - engine is stile in hypothetical stage & wife will needs seat time before going faster. I plan to control intake temp with water - more constant - but won't make as much HP.
- Thanks for contributing - I am somewhat new to this forum and people who contribute with hard-data are few.

What is measured is the temperature after the intercooler. That is what's the most important because compressing the air heats it up. The inlet air temperature sensor the ECU reads is placed after the supercharger in the distribution manifold. This system is using a air to water intercooler. The ambient air temperature has some affect on performance but is nothing as compared to the temperature after compression.

Not sure what you are talking about as far as "controlling intake temp with water" but cooling the air before compression, which sounds like what you are interested in doing, will yield very little as compared to cooling it after compression unless you could really cool it a lot, like with ice.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are talking about as far as "controlling intake temp with water" but cooling the air before compression, which sounds like what you are interested in doing, will yield very little as compared to cooling it after compression unless you could really cool it a lot, like with ice.[/QUOTE]

I was hopping to get intake temps before the air / water intercooler after compression by the supercharger. I was just curious about how much is heat caused from friction & compression. I will inject water before the supercharger to gain the most benefits.

Water injection is very efficient at cooling as a well as helping to stop pre-detonation (Not nearly as good as Methanol though).
An air to water intercooler is exceedingly efficient but a huge heat exchanger must be used with a constant supply of clean air. During a 20 - 30+ minute session it is difficult to keep a heat exchanger temps in check unless it is big (Not nearly as big as a air to air) with a constant supply of clean air. Higher intake temperature = lower overall HP so the second 1/2 of the session = lower over all HP. If the car goes to tech after an event, the heat exchanger will cool down & the dyno numbers will show higher than the actual on track numbers. My wife’s V6 vehicle will be a dual purpose DD / weekend car & training tool. It will be restricted by HP per weight for the class she runs in. I will be keeping the Air-conditioning condenser = more cooling restrictions for the radiator. Oil coolers, air conditioning condenser, brake ducting are lot-a bricks for force air though. I don’t want to run a heat exchanger also. Thank you for your input / I like your build. V8s Mustangs are everywhere - For good reason - but it is good to be different.

Nice Pony

Reaction score
You didn't mention you were planning on using water injection. Water injection does work very well but there is an issue with it tending to peel the coatings off the rotors in Eaton/Magnuson superchargers when injected before the intercooler and it goes through the supercharger. With the X-Charger distribution manifold it would be difficult if not impossible to inject after the intercooler and would require a water injector at every intake port among other things. It might be possible to get a water injector between the core and supercharger but again there is very limited space. If you are doing a non-intercooled X-Charger you may be able to put an injector in the housing just under the supercharger in the front. I'm also not sure how the water injection would be affected by boost pressure since at that location it would be exposed to boost pressure. Would definitely take some serious R&D to work that out.

There are also much larger heat exchanger available then what comes with the X-Charger Xtreme. Although the one in the kit is a nice sized AFCO designed as an upgrade replacement for the wimpy one found in a stock GT500. AFCO has another model with nearly double the capacity that also has two larger fans. I added an 8" fan to my heat exchanger to keep air flowing even when stopped to keep it as cool as possible. I also run Engine Ice coolant in my heat exchanger as well as my radiator which also helps cooling significantly over standard glycol base coolants.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
You didn't mention you were planning on using water injection. Water injection does work very well but there is an issue with it tending to peel the coatings off the rotors in Eaton/Magnuson superchargers when injected before the intercooler and it goes through the supercharger. With the X-Charger distribution manifold it would be difficult if not impossible to inject after the intercooler and would require a water injector at every intake port among other things. It might be possible to get a water injector between the core and supercharger but again there is very limited space. If you are doing a non-intercooled X-Charger you may be able to put an injector in the housing just under the supercharger in the front. I'm also not sure how the water injection would be affected by boost pressure since at that location it would be exposed to boost pressure. Would definitely take some serious R&D to work that out.

There are also much larger heat exchanger available then what comes with the X-Charger Xtreme. Although the one in the kit is a nice sized AFCO designed as an upgrade replacement for the wimpy one found in a stock GT500. AFCO has another model with nearly double the capacity that also has two larger fans. I added an 8" fan to my heat exchanger to keep air flowing even when stopped to keep it as cool as possible. I also run Engine Ice coolant in my heat exchanger as well as my radiator which also helps cooling significantly over standard glycol base coolants.

I wasn't aware of rotor coating problems. I will definitely look into that.
I would be worried about injecting into the distribution manifold / possible uneven distribution problems & a lean cylinder.
Water is a much, much better as a heat sink. The only problem is if it flashes / steams because of excessive heat exposure. That is why most systems / radiators are pressurized - raises the boiling point. Anti-freeze has 2 benefits - raising the boiling point & lowers freeze point - it does not absorb heat as well as water.
I have used 100% Evans coolant at zero pressure and it worked great because it didn't flash at the engine hot spots as a water would. The typical non stress operating temp was higher but when stressed, stayed in check - different engine application - not relevant to a low temp heat heat exchanger. I would suggest 100% water with some type of water wetter to break the surface tension. 2 sepatate heat exchagers connected in series. The first a dual pass & second a single pass for the most efficiency. Thanks for your input. Going to install my wife's T5 now & hopefully fire it up today - unfortunately Barbeque later, family / freinds comin over so my day will be cut short.

Nice Pony

Reaction score
Put my 2.8" pulley on to see what kind of boost it makes. Wound up with just a bit over 14PSI! Actually more than I expected since the 3.0" makes 11PSI.

Nice Pony

Reaction score
Still no dyno run but have about 10,000 miles on the MP1900 TVS and is still runs strong as hell. No problems at all.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back