adhering wheel to tire without screws, or bead-locks??

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Although it's also detrimental to straight-line performance, is there any hill-billy methods of getting the tires to grip the rim better for drag-racing. I'm running SVE Dark stars, and MT Radial Pros. MT's site says "not" to use rim screws on radial tires, and I'm not really wanting to do bead-locks either.

Aside from hurting performance is how badly out of balance the wheel/tire assembly becomes and shakes the hell out of the car on the ride home, and "yes" I have, and always will pull over if it starts to rain while driving on these tires.

I think I've heard of hair-spray working decently. Sounds pretty goofy, but if it works, I'll surely try it. Anybody??

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I just let mine spin on the rim. Havint hurt anything at the track for me.
Yeah, it doesn't really bother me at the track either, it's the ride home with the wheels being way out of balance that gets annoying.

djniknala

forum member
Reaction score
Most guys I know use Permatex High Tack on the bead when mounting. It worked for me on my last set. That MT-82, NA, '12 would do 1.4x 60's with a 7500 clutch dump on Hoosier stiff sidewall slicks using High Tack. After approximately 50 launches the tire had spun a total of an inch.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I might have to try that. Is the tire hard to break the bead on when getting it off the rim later?

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Who cares. That's the tire shops issue.
It's actually my issue, I hated having to depend on a tire shop to mount, dismount, and balance my stuff all of the time, so I bought my own manual tire machine and a bubble balancer, and have been very happy since. I actually had to beef it up so I wouldn't bend a few key pieces while trying to break beads that have been together for a long time.

I highly recommend setting yourself up with this stuff if you do a lot of racing involving tires. More than a few times I've gotten tires late on Friday, and would be sol scrambling to get stuff ready at a tire shop on sat. morning before a race. Also the money.. Around here it seems like every time I needed 2 tires dismounted and new ones mounted it was a cool 50 after balancing, and now that my tires are slipping on the rim, I'd have to re-balance after every race, unless this high tach permatex works as it should.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
There are two versions, 98D and 98H. I have always used 98H. It never hardens so it makes disassembly slightly easier. But it's still glue so expect to use some extra effort.

930-3022.jpg

skaarlaj

Reaction score
There are two versions, 98D and 98H. I have always used 98H. It never hardens so it makes disassembly slightly easier. But it's still glue so expect to use some extra effort.

930-3022.jpg
Thanks man, I'll buy some tonight and try it out.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
It's actually my issue, I hated having to depend on a tire shop to mount, dismount, and balance my stuff all of the time, so I bought my own manual tire machine and a bubble balancer, and have been very happy since. I actually had to beef it up so I wouldn't bend a few key pieces while trying to break beads that have been together for a long time.

I highly recommend setting yourself up with this stuff if you do a lot of racing involving tires. More than a few times I've gotten tires late on Friday, and would be sol scrambling to get stuff ready at a tire shop on sat. morning before a race. Also the money.. Around here it seems like every time I needed 2 tires dismounted and new ones mounted it was a cool 50 after balancing, and now that my tires are slipping on the rim, I'd have to re-balance after every race, unless this high tach permatex works as it should.

Who cares. Because racecar?? Lol

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I gotta try adhesive, as well. My tires slip at least a 1/2" per pass and by the end of a day of racing the car is shaking hard going down the track and on the ride home. Frequent rebalancing is not the best answer. A friend was racing with me a few days ago at our local track, as he was spinning a half revolution (or maybe it was 1.5 or 2.5 revolutions???) per pass. '14 GT with lots of mods and MT-82. I think there's too much lube on his tires from mounting.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
After about 10 passes, I'm about half a revolution out on the left, and 2-4 inches on the right tire. I wonder if knurling could be done, and if it would hold the tire better? I might try this if the Perma tach isn't effective.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
For those spinning with tubes in the tires, I would be concerned it would rip the tube if it spins too much.

I spent $30 on screws and screwed the tires to the wheels. It was pretty easy and looked good.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
For those spinning with tubes in the tires, I would be concerned it would rip the tube if it spins too much.

I spent $30 on screws and screwed the tires to the wheels. It was pretty easy and looked good.
Mine aren't bias plys, and MT's site says not to use screws on their radials, also no tubes for me either.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back