Dash flickering / electrical issues - '14 5.0 Premium

krazykarguy

5.0 noob
Reaction score
Hi all -

I have noticed that when I open my driver's door in the morning, that the gauges will flicker on for a brief moment. It's very strange, but it does not seem to be a problem or issue. Everything is still functioning as expected - but this happens every day - it's disconcerting!

Today, my center display kept displaying the PHONE screen for a quarter second then back to the blank time screen. I turned on the radio then off and it stopped. It seemed like the Bluetooth thought a call was coming in??

I have also once had the 'headlight chime reminder' stay on after switching off my headlights... I switched it to 'auto' instead of off and the only way to get it to stop was to turn the car on and then off. Weird, right?

Has anyone else had electrical gremlins? Are these three things related?

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I've had loose grounding for the dash cause odd gremlins in a few vehicles over the years. Make sure any ground wires are tight, maybe not the problem but a good place to start imo.

travelers

Reaction score
I agree, the grounds is a good place to start. If you look in the SPECS link in the above section you will find a link for the 2011 which is basically the same as you '14 there is a wiring section with the grounds and there location.

krazykarguy

5.0 noob
Reaction score
OK, I can read a wiring diagram as good as any layman can - but where are the modules located for the in-car entertainment and the gauge cluster? These would be the ones I would guess to be suspect.

However - wouldn't a loose ground on either of these cause greater problems while running and driving, as opposed to my gauge/headlight switch situation where it happens with the car completely off?

In addition - when I see the gauges 'flash/flicker' I could swear that the illumination is bright green - which I have never set on my car.

travelers

Reaction score
Being it's a '14 I think I would have the dealer take a look at it. There IDS may see what's going on better then us just guessing at things.

In that same section with the wiring diagrams is a service manual which has trouble shooting guides for inst and audo problems.

krazykarguy

5.0 noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the gauge lighting issue is likely related to the 4.2" screen getting power when the door is opened (so that the odometer can be read).

I fixed the 'PHONE' flicker by deleting the old phones from the system and reactivating the 911 assist function.

I have not been able to reproduce the 'headlights on' chime issue I noted.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back