What have you done to your house today

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Since we have a "what have you done to your mustang today" thread why not a house thread. I am always either messing around with the car or the house.

Today I had a friend over and we cleaned out the back yard from the accumulation of scrap crap from building the garage and various other projects.

Then turned my attention to the inside.. Earlier this year I installed wood floors in the living room and Hall way. Today I turned my focus on the bedrooms. All of the carpet is now gone and most of the staples and tack strips gone. Going to finish up Sunday after church.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Removed and replaced the side entrance door on my garage. The frame and molding had rotted at the bottom from moisture getting wicked up into the wood and instead of trying to repair it I just replaced it with a pre hung door with rot proof molding.

Earl

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Well, since I'm in the middle of remodeling my condo, I can add to this thread daily ... lol

Yesterday I was still working after 10 PM ... trying to stay fairly quiet since I have neighbors, but still, I got stuff done :)

Today I get to use my Sawzall again :evillaugh:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I've been painting now for about 4 hours, didn't even realize what time it was, all I know is that I got hungry, so I finished the cutting-in that I was doing and am now taking a late lunch break.

When I go back to work I have a bunch of spackling to do .... yay!!

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
My fence was a mess (I bought the house this way) so looked for some help and closed the yard so my dog can play...then the asshole learned how to jump a 6ft cedar fence lol

heres a couple of before and after pics:

you can't tell in the picture, but there are two middle sections that are just laying on top of each other, no suppor or anything

power washed the fence and hit it with paint remover

thats the asshole who jumps the fence lol

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Does he jump over the fence by getting on the rocks on the left first?
Or does he jump from the concrete slab right over the fence?

As far as my place, I haven't gone back to the master bedroom yet, I went out and bought some supplies to make shelves in the small bedroom closet which just had stuff piled up in there.
Now it has shelves, a clothes rod, and I'm contemplating adding another 2-3 shelves at the bottom area where the clothes rod is, since this closet will mostly have short things hanging in here, so no need for the whole height being taken up for things hanging off the clothes rod.
I'm done in there for now, so I *should* go do some spackling in the master bedroom if I want to paint the walls in there tomorrow ...

JCCNY

forum member
Reaction score
I trimmed some bushes in preparation for a fence install on Saturday. My neighbors are nice enough when we talk, but they have no consideration. Started with one dog and they now have four yappers who they let bark relentesly at us through their current chain link fence. Now I'm paying $1,650 to hopefully get some peace.

Sorry for the rant...also got an electric lawn thatcher in the mail today. Has a lot of great reviews and should make the spring clean up a lot easier!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Spackled every screw hole or any other little divot or other damage I saw on the walls in the master bedroom, touched-up the bottom of the door frames in that room, finished painting one frame that somehow never got new paint on the outside sides of the frame when I recently painted stuff in there, removed all the switch/outlet faceplates and the door stops in there in anticipation of the painting I'll be doing tomorrow.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Finished pulling up the tack strips from the carpet and re secured a piece of sub floor to stop it from creaking. Laying the underlayment tomorrow and getting started on putting the floors in.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
LOL ^^^

I installed a new shelf in the small bedroom closet, went out and bought new railing, brackets, and shelving so I can install another 1-2 shelves in there.

I also painted about a 1/3 of the master bedroom, the harder parts that were more easily done with a small roller ... contemplating getting off my butt and going to finish the whole room

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Got the master bedroom painted today, all the old beige sockets/wallplates switched over to the new white stuff, installed the new white HVAC wall register, installed 2 new shelves at the bottom of the closet in the small bedroom, and started running co-axial cable from the master bedroom over to the amplifier box that the Comcast tech installed in the living room.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Today I made myself more work than I probably needed, but I felt that I pretty much HAD to remove the leftover Verizon FiOs equipment from the walk-in closet in the master bedroom, so I took it apart, removed its wiring that was ducted along the ceiling corner, removed that ducting, repaired the screw holes from where the stuff was mounted, painted everything over, and now the walls look MUCH better in there.
I also removed the last of the glue residue from the old wall-base trim in there, since I apparently didn't do that when I last worked in there.

And since pics speak a lot more than words, here's the closet in question, before and after the Verizon equipment removal:
Before the removal of the Verizon crap, second pic showing the wiring that I removed today:
2013-01-31_mstr-bdrm-closet1_zpsa966ecf9.jpg

2013-01-30_mstr-bdrm-closet-5_zps1b9b8563.jpg

And how this closet looks like now:
2013-04-15_walk-in-closet_zps9ea5511c.jpg

And some of the other work I've done throughout the condo:

The piece-de-resistance :) ... the accent wall in the living room:
2013-03-31_LR-2_zpsd8ce1278.jpg

The wall opposite the accent wall, all white, with new sockets/wallplates, new base trim, new carpet of course, new HVAC register:
2013-03-31_LR-3_zps4c6c4c90.jpg

The 2 closets in the living room and the entry way:
(the closets and their doors got new paint, new satin-nickel knobs, new white clothes rod in the right closet, all-new shelving with 2 shoe shelves in the left closet, and the left closet door was switched so it opens to the left. It used to open to the right):
2013-02-22_LRcloset1_zpsb4c9b798.jpg

2013-01-30_LRcloset-left-ShoeRacks_zps7d07e48d.jpg

The small bedroom, with all new paint, new electrical sockets/switches/wallplates, new white wall-base trim, new carpet, new door handles and hinges, all the hardware being in satin nickel:
2013-03-31_SBR-6_zpsc5c31392.jpg

2013-03-28_SBR-1_zpsa2ada487.jpg

The small bedroom with all the furniture in it from the master bedroom, and the room where I'm currently spending most of my time:
2013-04-03_SBR-1_zps2da52374.jpg

2013-04-01_SBR-2_zpsf32f0c51.jpg

The kitchen the way it used to look:
2012-12-18_a_zps455acb54.jpg

The kitchen the way it looks now, waiting on new cabinets/countertops/appliances:
2013-03-11_kitchen4_zps70b21f0a.jpg

The new rough-in valve I installed in the spare bathroom:
2013-03-13_bath-valve-4_zpsf5cbe6bb.jpg

The access panel I installed in the other bathroom which allows me to reach the individual shut-off valves next to that ^^ new valve. The panel slides down, spring-loaded mechanism behind it, and it easily pops out / back in :
2013-03-14_bath-valve-access-panel2_zps5eddf450.jpg

The last room to work in, for now, the master bedroom:
2013-04-10_MBR-2_zps03d8e866.jpg

I don't have a pic showing the master bedroom fully re-painted, but this is the beginning of the re-paint, on the other end of the room, where the walk-in closet (on the right) and the bath vanity and shower/toilet are:
2013-04-12_MBR_zpsf37bdd1e.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Yesterday I finally got the new bath tub installed in the spare bathroom.
I had been looking for a new toe-touch satin nickel drain stopper and was having a hard time finding one that worked well (the one at Lowe's worked like crap).
Well, yesterday I found one at a fairly local plumbing supply store, the guy there was nice enough to tell me what I did wrong previously that got me a leak, I went home and installed the tub, the stopper, tested it for leaks, and NO leaks :highfive:
I also had to order a new satin nickel overflow cover since all the ones I could find locally were brushed nickel and that was close, but not close enough.

A rough pic since I now have to do the walls with new cement board, then tile :)

2013-04-16_bathtub_zps6e37c737.jpg

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
I like this thread.... Where's the damn like button!

Anyways, I just bought my house in January, painted the whole damned thing on the inside (walls, trim, ceiling, and doors) redid about half the blinds, and now I just spent about $1300 on all the materials I need for about 200 ft of fence. Overall I've probably spent about $4000 on this house since I bought it January 27th

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Just bought five 3' x 5' sheets of "Hardiebacker 500" cement board for the bathroom walls, a few other little things, PLUS went grocery-shopping, and fit it all in the Focus ... LOL

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Started hanging the new cement boards in the bathroom.
This Hardiebacker stuff is supposed to be easy to work with, easy to cut, etc. ... I don't find that to be true, but my SawzAll once again got put into service :D

2013-4-17_tub-walls-1_zps6061025c.jpg

The piece that I had to cut off from the left panel ended up going to the top, so not much wasted yet :)

2013-4-17_tub-walls-2_zps0aadbb70.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
1:05 AM on 4-18-2013 I guess, and I just finished installing the 3rd cement panel in the bathroom. Some time after midnight I got the urge to do this, and here it is, lol.
I have 2 panels left, one's going on the right side wall, which will be tricky since it will need 2 holes cut out for the tub spout and the valve controls, and the last panel will be for filling the top areas. Then the real fun part, mortar, tile, trim, etc.

2013-04-17_tub-walls-3_zps91f9d503.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back