Big Bore Boss build

panama

forum member
Reaction score
I don't get on the forums enough anymore, I missed another part out sale of yours. Looks like its going to be an awesome build, one day I'll be able to build a nasty n/a motor. Just curious why did you go from the 127400's to the hot rods? I've got your old 127300's and thought about stepping up to the 400's but it's probably not worth the time/money.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I don't get on the forums enough anymore, I missed another part out sale of yours. Looks like its going to be an awesome build, one day I'll be able to build a nasty n/a motor. Just curious why did you go from the 127400's to the hot rods? I've got your old 127300's and thought about stepping up to the 400's but it's probably not worth the time/money.

The only things I've sold are the 127400 cams. I found a good deal on the hot rods and decided to give them a try. No reason for it other than insanity. I didn't see much difference when I changed from the 300 to 400 cams while na. That doesn't really mean much though because I was and am still learning the tuning thing as I go and I'm fairly certain I was limiting power. I was also running factory cats and I'm sure that didn't help anything.

I'll reuse the heads, front cover, manifold, and oil pan but other than that pretty much everything else will be for sale.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The wait continues. Talked to the machine shop. One of the machinists was out all last week with bronchitis. My stuff hasn't been touched yet. Maybe next week. It's killing me to not be tearing into the motor. I think I'll take it for one more drive tomorrow and then start the teardown. This way everything will be ready once the parts are here. My main concerns are cleaning the heads and measuring them for warpage. I can also get the new headers on and slave cylinder swapped. Maybe even pull the block so I can get it, the Hot Rods, valve covers, and the RST up for sale.

The more I think about it the more I think I should pull the motor and get a nice jump on the project.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
do realize that your ill?

:lol:

rayS197

Reaction score
Hey Dave,

I think Bruce has surpassed Mark(ChevyKiller) by having every type of blower made available and now motors. Whatcha think??

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

I think Bruce has surpassed Mark(ChevyKiller) by having every type of blower made available and now motors. Whatcha think??

Hmmm, could be, but Bruce hasn't gone turbo....... and Bruce has done all the assembly work :beer:

GoneFord

forum member
Reaction score
... Sometimes I wonder what normal feels like.

"Normal" is highly overrated. Besides, think of all the folks you'd deny the joy of living vicariously through your builds. Truly a loss to those without your skills and resources.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
True. Mark just wrote the checks.
Bruce, Turbo Big Bore??

It's been thought of before. Can't do it with long tubes though. It's also been my observation that turbos will magnify any issue and the result is usually a dead motor. I don't think I have the skills or patience to keep a turbo motor alive. It's a great concept but just not for me unless I kept it small like low 60mm. That way a small error shouldn't be enough to take out the motor.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
I know of a decent turbo setup BNIB only a few miles south of you that could be for sale:whistling:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Removed the intake, a/c pump, ps pump, cai, cats, alt, cops, etc. Also loosened the bellhousing bolts, removed the grounds, and unhooked most of the coolant hoses.

All that's in the way of pulling the motor is the lower hose, full removal of the bellhousing bolts, the fan, and the motor mount bolts.

I'm pretty sure I'll pull the valve covers, front cover, and heads prior to pulling the block. That way I can use the dead time waiting for the machine shop. I can clean the heads, straight edge them, swap cams, and swap headers.

This is the 4th time I've pulled a motor from this car. It keeps getting easier. I have less than 3 hours into it right now and I've been taking my time. If anyone reading this has anxiety about doing a motor swap all I can say is don't. It's very easy. Ford really made this car easy to work on. There is plenty of room for most of the wrenching involved.

Last look at it as a 4.6:

How it looks right now:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Boardums a bitch huh?

Found out I have a local friend who's just like you. He just finished a 32 Ford Coupe, he had it for a year, sold it and bought a 63 Corvette convertible. It's not a numbers matching car so it was not a big dollar buy. When I asked him, you got bored and needed a new project, he said "yup".

Continued success with the swap.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Boardums a bitch huh?

Found out I have a local friend who's just like you. He just finished a 32 Ford Coupe, he had it for a year, sold it and bought a 63 Corvette convertible. It's not a numbers matching car so it was not a big dollar buy. When I asked him, you got bored and needed a new project, he said "yup".

Continued success with the swap.

You hit it on the head! Something has happened. I used to hate working on cars but now I'm digging it. I could see myself doing this for a living if there was a big enough market and I was good enough. I've been offered work as a mechanic before but always turned it down because I hated working on cars but something is different now. Maybe my med combination is now working, lol.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
:thumb: It's so much more fun to build it yourself. I think it's more satisfying too.

Yea, like the moment when it goes on the dyno for the first time and you tell the tuner 800rwhp is all you want. Best sound ever is when he lifts his foot of the gas and the car idles. Lol

You hit it on the head! Something has happened. I used to hate working on cars but now I'm digging it. I could see myself doing this for a living if there was a big enough market and I was good enough. I've been offered work as a mechanic before but always turned it down because I hated working on cars but something is different now. Maybe my med combination is now working, lol.
On clean cars! I love working on my car, my truck, well that is another story.

lethe

V4g!n@ #er
Reaction score
Good progress for 3 hours of work. I left the fan in when i did my swap and had plenty of room to remove/reinstall the engine.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Did a little more today. This doing it a little every day sure is nice on my back. Pulled the balancer, water pump pulley, front cover, and valve covers. If the cam lube (I know it's not required for a modern motor but I'm going to use it anyway) comes in tomorrow I'll swap the Hot Rods out and get the new/used custom cams in. If it doesn't come in then I'll probably pull the heads.

Todays progress:

All covered up for the night:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back