2008 "tigermachine II" Bullitt Mustang build, Pics & Video on Post #518 ...

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Rasmus,

I just decided to make other arrangements ............

If your really interested you can scan through the posts starting on the link below:

http://www.imboc.com/forums/3541162-post10405.html

Sorry about the lack of thumbs-up images recently I'll try to better.

Terry

I'll take that as a yes then -- and good for you.

Apart from whatever it was they pulled out of your pickup tube, I've been there myself. I suffered through a broken phaser the same way, and I was even running Livernois limiters too.

Switched to fully locked phasers and didn't have any issues subsequently.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll take that as a yes then -- and good for you.

Apart from whatever it was they pulled out of your pickup tube, I've been there myself. I suffered through a broken phaser the same way, and I was even running Livernois limiters too.

Switched to fully locked phasers and didn't have any issues subsequently.

I can't say for sure and I doubt anyone else can if they were being honest that the issue was not really the Livernois Phasers.

The real issue was the Glob ???, whatever that was left in the Canton 8-quart oil pan and got sucked up in the oil-pump-filler tube.

That caused erratic oil pressure which as we all know is what operates the Variable Cam Phasers.

It's all New once again so should be good to go.

Terry

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
I have to say that this is probably the best pre-facelift S197 I have seen. I really can't think of anything that comes close
beer.gif

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
That sucks, obviously from your post we can all gather that you do not do any of your own work on your car so we all know where the mistake came from. That's why I had to eventually learn how to do things myself that way there's nobody to blame but me if something happens. I would be livid if I found that Carnage in my motor that I paid somebody else to build for me. I can make mistakes myself because I am a novice and not a professional shop like the "B" brand.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I can't say for sure and I doubt anyone else can if they were being honest that the issue was not really the Livernois Phasers.

The real issue was the Glob ???, whatever that was left in the Canton 8-quart oil pan and got sucked up in the oil-pump-filler tube.

That caused erratic oil pressure which as we all know is what operates the Variable Cam Phasers.

It's all New once again so should be good to go.

Terry

I doubt that anything is going to change at this point, but I'll add my two cents anyway...

$0.01) I had the exact same thing happen when I was running the Livernois limiters: my passenger side phaser cracked. I was running aggressive cams as well. My opinion is that once you go aggressive, and start turning up the boost with more power and rpm, you should lock out the VCT, and not just limit it. Sure, VCT is a good idea on paper, but I've seen too many phaser issues on modified 3V cars to believe that the idea holds up once you go custom.

$0.02) That... whatever the hell it is.... is crazy. There's no way that came through the motor, so it must have been in there either from the manufacturers side, and the installer forgot to check, or it was left there by accident by the installer. Either way the installer should have caught it. The fact that you don't need a new motor now is mind boggling.

...but yeah, like Billy said, this stuff is why I stopped trusting people, and started wrenching on my own stuff, too. If you ask me, the car looks better without those 71 Brenspeed logos.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sucks, obviously from your post we can all gather that you do not do any of your own work on your car so we all know where the mistake came from. That's why I had to eventually learn how to do things myself that way there's nobody to blame but me if something happens. I would be livid if I found that Carnage in my motor that I paid somebody else to build for me. I can make mistakes myself because I am a novice and not a professional shop like the "B" brand.
Billy,

That's correct I don't know how so I have the work done on mine.

It is a very good thing that you and others have the talent to do your own work.

I don't know what the heck that crap was that was left in the Canton that's for sure nor did anyone at DBR Performance.

The good thing is the screen in the oil pump filler tube caught the (??? whatever) and stopped it from going further.

I doubt that anything is going to change at this point, but I'll add my two cents anyway...

$0.01) I had the exact same thing happen when I was running the Livernois limiters: my passenger side phaser cracked. I was running aggressive cams as well. My opinion is that once you go aggressive, and start turning up the boost with more power and rpm, you should lock out the VCT, and not just limit it. Sure, VCT is a good idea on paper, but I've seen too many phaser issues on modified 3V cars to believe that the idea holds up once you go custom.

$0.02) That... whatever the hell it is.... is crazy. There's no way that came through the motor, so it must have been in there either from the manufacturers side, and the installer forgot to check, or it was left there by accident by the installer. Either way the installer should have caught it. The fact that you don't need a new motor now is mind boggling.

...but yeah, like Billy said, this stuff is why I stopped trusting people, and started wrenching on my own stuff, too. If you ask me, the car looks better without those 71 Brenspeed logos.

Rasmus,

I read you on what you have said for sure on the cam phasers.
My hope is since I don't run the Crap out of mine everytime I'm in it that mine will hold up this time around.
Especially now that it definitely has Full-Oil-Pressure !!!

Also, yes the Owner and that shop's Technician (Manager Now) know exactly who installed the Canton 8 quart oil pan.
No one had been in the engine or dropped that Canton oil pan since that shop did the work.
And just for the record book I did send 1-E-Mail to only that shop's owner with the link to the post that covered what took place.
The post that has all the pictures of exactly what Jon (Shop Foreman) at DBR Performance found.
That was all I did from this end and it's all I'm going to do in regards to communicating with the 1st Shop's Owner.

And as far as the Logos that were on mine they were there as advertisement purposes for that Shop.
I thought it was appropriate at the time .
But, things can and do change with Owner's and there Customers which is my case.
So I decided since there was No Apparent Interest in the situation that just took place with the 1st Shop's owner.
Then why should I have my Mustang looking like a rolling Billboard for that Performance-Shop.

T.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
throwing my hat in for the phaser limiters failing again.

Take them out now before they cause a cascading failure!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shaker 1000 CD Player Malfunction ...

Guys,

Over the years I have read many Threads/Posts on here as well as other Mustang internet sites on the Shaker 500 & 1000 failing.

So, since mine just failed I thought I would share some (Useful) information with you.

Mine showed a CD Error Message when I opened the Driver's Door.
Then when I got in the Bullitt and tried to use (Any) function of the CD Player it was All completely Dead !!!
I do mean nothing would work that had anything to do with the CD Player.

I did the usual Google Search thing and located a Company called Original Car Audio in MN.
I called and spoke with Jonathan (Jon) and he gave me the scoop on things.
I could purchase a Reconditioned unit, a New unit, or even better, send mine to them and have it Repaired.
That last option I liked as that meant what came from Ford in the Bullitt would remain in it after the repair.
His estimate was $179.00 Plus UPS shipping back to me.
If it could not be Repaired for some reason he would then contact me and we could discuss my other options I listed above.
Oh, one thing that really impressed me was there "Turn-around-Time" of 48-Hours.

Original Car Audio - Factory Radio OEM New, Used, and Refurbished Car Stereo Replacements and Repair Service

So I went to Cartronics and they pulled the Head-Unit for me and will also be Reinstalling it when it returns.
I was maybe at Cartronics for like 30-minutes all together.
Then off to Fed Ex to have the unit shipped.
Jon did suggest that I actually had Fed Ex or UPS do the "Packing" so they would be Responsible for Damage.
I thought it over and that seemed to be the Safest way to do it and I would not have to be worrying then that I did not pack it safe enough.
The Lady at Fed Ex went all out to pack the Head-Unit Safely.
As it turns out and from me getting to talk with her for a few minutes Fed Ex has Packing Standards for that sort of thing.
So Jon was definitely right on using them to do the Packing.

cartronics-store-madison.png

cartronics-website-logo.png

Since 1982, Cartronics has been committed to providing the highest quality product technologies and customer service in the Mobile Electronics industry,
here in Nashville, Tn.

https://cartronics.audio/

Off went the unit and a few days later I got a call from Jon from Original Car Audio that mine was ready to be shipped back to me.
He also said they were running a Special so the estimate he gave me of $179.00 was now going to be $143.00 plus UPS shipping.
(That price covered a Brand New CD Section being installed)

I'm taking the time guys to share this with you as I think this Company is one all of you might very well want to use if needed.

Below are the pictures I took of this so far as mine will be back this coming Thursday afternoon by UPS tracking.
Once I get it back and get it Reinstalled at Cartronics I'll get back on here with the Final-Update for you.
That way I can let you know that all is once again A-OK with the CD Player Section of the Shaker 1000.

Terry

Last edited:

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Wow.... just took me a few days to read threw this entire thread.... So no more speaking of the "1st Shop?" After 63 pages, damn!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow.... just took me a few days to read threw this entire thread.... So no more speaking of the "1st Shop?" After 63 pages, damn!
Richard (Rich),

Well my man the 1st shop and it's owner should actually perhaps Thank me for not mentioning them.
I'll stop now before I get to carried away ...........

Terry

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Richard (Rich),

Well my man the 1st shop and it's owner should actually perhaps Thank me for not mentioning them.

Terry

Terry

You don't need to mention Brenspeed by name we all know who the 1st shop was. It is what is, you carried the banner when they did go for you, Now you don't.

I used Appalachian Performance, then Pro-Dyno and now I use Fastlane Motorsports. Each time I learned something and I keep moving forward and don't look back.

Andrew

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry

You don't need to mention Brenspeed by name we all know who the 1st shop was. It is what is, you carried the banner when they did go for you, Now you don't.

I used Appalachian Performance, then Pro-Dyno and now I use Fastlane Motorsports. Each time I learned something and I keep moving forward and don't look back.

Andrew

Andrew,

Exactly
icon14.gif

Terry

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Richard (Rich),

Terry

Yeah they should have paid you for all the free advertising that you gave them. Hah! I get it's a business and being a small business owner myself I know taking care of good customers is key. I don't even what to know the amount of money you paid the 1st shop over the years. It's their loss imho. I don't know the whole or even half the story. Hope it works out for you.

Rich

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah they should have paid you for all the free advertising that you gave them. Hah! I get it's a business and being a small business owner myself I know taking care of good customers is key. I don't even what to know the amount of money you paid the 1st shop over the years. It's their loss imho. I don't know the whole or even half the story. Hope it works out for you.

Rich
Rich,

It's all good on this end and being serious with this reply I really doubt any of this effects the 1st shop one way or the other.

There has been no negative comments made from me or that shop/owner and as far as I am concerned it's going to remain that way.

I'm just glad that DBR Performance is only 20-minutes from where I'm sitting.

And they sure seem to have a great deal of talent.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TMI Adjustable Headrest are in and the Shaker 1000 Head-Unit ...

Up-Date,

Well yesterday the UPS Brown Truck came by late in the afternoon.
He dropped off two (2) boxes for me.

(1) The Shaker 1000 Head-Unit for dash was back.

(2) TMI's adjustable headrest also were here.

I did UN-Box and install the new TMI adjustable/tiltable headrest which was a matter of minutes.

Then this afternoon I took the Bullitt over to Cartronics to get the Shaker 1000 unit reinstalled.
That did not happen even though it is something that would take them less than 30-minutes to do per them.
They were booked up so my wait time was approximately 2 1/2 to 3-hrs "Before" they would even start the Reinstall.
I passed and drove over to Christian Brothers Automotive.
They took it straight in and started on it.
Then the Service Writer (Marvin) came and got me to show me something.
As it turned out one of the cables had a Broken Lock on it where the Shaker 1000 had been removed.
So, he ordered a new connector and I waited then for the job to be completed right.
I'm glad I went to them as it turned out as I'm confident Cartronics was not going to tell me they broke the lock on that cable.
They would have simply plugged it in and hoped it did not later come loose.

So I was there for awhile but did not mind as I knew when I left all of it was repaired correctly as well as installing the Shaker 1000.

Oh, they did load the six (6) CD's I had and checked things out.
Jon at (Original Car Audio) did in-fact pack the 6-CD's separate as he said they would.
The CD player works as it should once again.
The XM Satellite Radio is also A-OK as well as AM & FM Radio functions.
I went in and adjusted the audio settings to my preference and set the time on the clock.
I did even listen to the system on the way back home even with the windows down.
tango_face_smile.png

Below are the pictures of everything for those interested.

Original Car Audio really packed the Shaker 1000 very-very-well guys.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Well I ask Cathy if she would like to take a ride in the Bullitt Mustang on Friday evening after she stopped doing the Cigna Ins. thing.
She said okay so we took off and drove almost to Birmingham which is approximately 250 miles from our house.
Once near Birmingham I pulled off to top up with gas at a Shell Station and to use the Restroom Facilities.
Then back in the Bullitt and headed home.
All went smooth with the long distance test drive I'm happy to report.
Cathy did make some comments while we were riding down the I-65 Interstate.
She said it's a lot quieter inside now and it's easy to talk in a normal voice.
Also she wanted to hear the CD Player after I reinstalled it after getting it back.
So we tried out several of the CD's loaded and had the volume level set at a low-level and was easy to hear everything without having to raise the volume way up.
You can hear the exhaust and according to the road surface you can certainly hear the Tires.
On a really smooth surface it was exceptionally quiet inside.
One has to keep in mind that the Bullitt does have a lot of rubber underneath now so on a Rough Surface you will definitely hear the tires.

Also I reset the MPG to see what it would be getting on a trip at 70 MPH with the Cruise Set and the A/C blowing cold.

It was getting Plus 20 MPG until a few people pulled up beside me and wanted to see it do it's thing.
tango_face_surprise.png
tango_face_surprise.png
tango_face_surprise.png

So, I'm not going to say I was doing the Dreaded, (Street-Racing-Guys) because as soon as I punched it I was instantly gone and they were like they SLAMMED their BRAKES on.

These pictures were taken with us back in the garage at home after the 300-miles.

Not to Shabby .................

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bullitt Mustang is back home August 30th 2017 ...

Guys,

It has been like two months since I have said anything about the Bullitt Mustang.
I did do a new thread sometime ago about Bullitt Mustang members selling their cars.
There was a lot of interest shown on that thread by a lot of members.
And in many cases there was useful ideas and suggestions.
As some of you know I am considering selling mine.
I could not in all honesty put mine on the market with knowing it was not as perfect as it possibly could be.
That being said brings us to today ...........

I got a call from Jon at DBR Performance this morning to come pick it up if I liked.
His thinking was the rain was coming here from Hurricane Harvey that hit Texas and especially Houston.
So we are expected to have rain for days here so it would be a good time to go get it before that started.
As it turned out Jon was right as this afternoon it started raining and has not stopped.

Let me bring you guys up to speed on the Bullitt and why it's been at DBR for weeks.
Some of you might recall that the serpentine belt for some reason would make noise upon 1st start-up.
It would go away if you just let it idle until the temperature got all the way up to normal.
Or if you simply drove it like maybe a mile or so.
Once the squealing would stop it would not return until the Bullitt would sit and cool way back down.
Then the exact same situation would once again return.

After Jon (Shop Foreman) and David (Owner) at DBR looked at it.
It was decided that what was causing the noise to return after installing a new serpentine belt was premature wear of the new serpentine belts.
If some of you recall that the Roush S/C Pulley and the PA Performance Alternator Pulley both were sent and had the Griptec coating applied.
It is a coating that feels much like rough sandpaper to the touch.
It is suppose to help stop serpentine belt slippage.
But, in this case what it was doing was eating up the serpentine belt and once it did that it caused the squealing upon 1st start-up.

So Jon got hold of me and ask if I could get with Brenspeed and get the part numbers for the two pulleys so he could order replacements.
Or if Brenspeed had them just have them drop ship them to his attention at DBR.
So I still have the means to contact Brent (Brenspeed Owner) on his personal cell phone.
I sent Brent a text and Brent sent me one saying he was at a NMRA race out of State.
He would be back to work Late Afternoon at Brenspeed to send him a reminder text Monday.
I actually was not thinking and sent Brent the reminder text but it was around 9 AM Pierceton, IN. time.
Well Brent did actually answer me but as it turned out he was still in bed sleeping.
He did not get in bed until 3 AM Monday morning.
What he did do was contact Chase at Brenspeed and explained to him exactly what I needed and for Chase to check and see if they had the two pulleys in stock and if not to order them.
Chase checked and they did have one left in stock of the smallest Roush S/C pulleys that I run.
The other PA Performance pulley had to be ordered.
Chase had it ordered and dropped shipped to Jon at DBR.
Brent texted me to make sure everything had been handled and not to worry about contacting him.

So, Jon does receive the two pulleys and does the install.
He does that and does not hear any noise at all.
He actually for weeks started the Bullitt numerous times through the day and in some cases as time permitted and the weather put miles on it.
As he said to me this morning, I did not run the crap out of it Terry but I did get into it pretty hard to make sure it was working correctly.
So after doing the above for weeks and satisfied it was okay he contacted me to come get it before the weather front moved in.
(And it did move in as it started raining and has not stopped)
Suppose to do that for the next few days ..........

Well guys as I sit here typing this I think I should also include the following comments.
As some of you know I'm very much considering selling the Bullitt.
But, as soon as I once again saw it at DBR this morning I instantly fell right back in luv with it.
That's right guys I'm just telling it as it really is.
And driving it back home it is such an awesome machine.
I stopped at Shell here at my exit and filled it back up with gas.
Man that thing is so Totally Bad @SS even to me after having it from 2008 until 2017 it's honestly going to be Very-Difficult to sell it.
(Or maybe I should be more specific having it sold)

I'm going to have to really think this over I suppose is the bottom-line.

Cathy did look at me when I came in the house smiling after pulling it in the garage.
She said, Terry you know you can't keep it and buy another $80K dollar new car honey.
She surely after 30 plus years knows me that's for sure when she saw my Lit-Up Face coming in the house.
If I do go ahead with this someone is going to be a Very-Very HAPPY New Owner somewhere in the World.

Below are the invoices to this last work done to get rid of that serpentine belt noise on 1st start-up.
And it back home guys.

Also,
The ones of you interested I also had Jon do something for me this morning before I left.

There was a Challenger sitting right to the rear of the Bullitt in the shop.
So I gave it a little thought and then ask Jon if he minded doing some measuring for me.
He said not big deal that's easy what's on your mind ???
I said as you know I'm considering selling or having the Bullitt sold.
And if I go through with that I'm considering two cars as it's Replacement.
One is as we already discussed the New "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat.
So man if you don't mind lets compare the actual size of the Bullitt to the Challenger sitting here.
As it turns out guys the Challenger is two (2) inches wider.
It is one (1) foot longer.
Once I got home and pulled the Bullitt in I took a look and I think (Not Positive) but I think the
"Widebody" Challenger Hellcat will fit with the New Golf R of Cathy's in the garage.

This car,

The other car I'm very much considering is the Audi TT RS Coupe below in Bright Red,

Terry

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking, if you like the bullitt and are happy with it now, why not just keep it. I was really looking at boss 302's but in the end decided to keep what I already have. Then the stupid Shelby GT350's came out.... ug.... but I still have my mustang and really think I'll just keep it. Now if I could keep it and get a gt350 or/and a hellcat challenger....

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back