I bought a f150 for $100 bucks - Also, my pictures work, I have image shack.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A friend that is in one of the HAM radio clubs I am in asked if i was interested in his old daily driver. All I had to do was get it out of his front yard (where it was parked since 2014) and give him $100 bill. Clean title too.

Can you believe I said yes! I had tow truck company I write insurance for owe me a favor, I so I got it towed for free out to my grand pops pasture.

The good; 1984 XLT all power, power fully functional windows, locks, acc, 54,000 miles, new tires in 2013, hardly any rust, no bad dents, wiring is intact. Apparently the A/C was working when parked, nice tool box filled with new water pump, cap, rotor, plugs, fan clutch, carb rebuild kit, belts!

The bad; horrendous rod knock......and I think there is a minor roach infestation on the interior (no odor, just saw a few scamper when I pulled up the floor mat:yuck: gross) at least it's not mice. The rubber wipers on the windows both inside and out are just dry rotted to hell.....how hard are these to replace?

Give me some ideas on the engine, I had plans this morning to drop the oil pan and take a look, so papa Tom and I pulled it up to the cement driveway and jacked it up...yea that pan is not coming out with the engine still in the frame. Plus I already know that its knackered, the engine has to come out and get replaced or fixed. What do you think?

Rm

Last edited:

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also, I am pretty sure this is a 302, btw from the vin decoding I have done.

Rm

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Great buy no matter how you look at it, worth at least 400-500 in scrape alone! What's your plans? Throw few hundred in and try resell it or going become a project truck?

Depending on your plans will say what to do with the engine. A carb 302 is going to suck down fuel, fuel injected 302 probably not much better lol. If keeping it and a project truck, throw in a bigger engine if toy, if more involved put a fuel injected Triton 4.6L or 5.4L. If going to flip it, do bare minimum on the engine under the hood or better yet get it running with fresh fuel maybe some additives in the oil to quiet it down some and sell it as is.

Personally, I would just play with it one weekend with a 200 dollar part budget and put up for sale for 1000 or best offer

Last edited:

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Take off the box and keep it or sell it. Post the truck on Craigslist for trade and see what you can get. I have come to the conclusion that parting cars out is a pita.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
For what you paid, drop in a rebuilt 351 & trick that puppy out - F150's are bulletproof. Nice score!

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Even with all the truck has going for it......it's going to Craigslist. I did some serious pondering this morning and I just don't have a need for a 1984 F150. Plain and simple. I would rather spend the money that HAS to be spent on the engine on a newer running truck.

No doubt the truck is neat, and has a lot going for it. But in the end, it's an 84 F150 with a bad motor. At least I will make a little cash for fooling around all weekend on it.

Rm

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any major rust? Where at in east Texas?

No major rust, Nacogdoches Tx,...Are you interested?

I have a 4x4 Tahoe my buddy is paying me commission to sell.....so until that sells, the truck is setting idle......which is not good, I am seriously considering pulling the engine and fixing it. I hate being indecisive!

Make me an offer so I can stop flip flopping back and forth!

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will let you know later tonight. Personally i would have tried priming the engine before letting it start. Disconnect the coil, change the oil and filter, pull a valve cover so you know when oil gets to the upper part of the engine, and then crank on it until oil starts coming out of the pushrods. Put valve cover back on and reconnect coil, then start.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back