generator help

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Had a stator burn out on my Honda 3000 recently. Bought a new one and got the unit all back together. But ran across something odd. The key activates the starter and it turns the motor over, but I get no spark and the motor never fires. However, if you pull the cord, it fires right up.

I only see two wires to connect to the starter, and they're both connected. I never unplugged anything from the ignition coil. I cannot find anything else that's unplugged. I have both of the grounds on the harness hooked up to the black and the frame (even tried tying them together).

Is it a bad switch?

I couldn't find specs on gaps, so is my ignition coil too far away from the rotor possibly?

Don't have access to the serial, but it's a Honda eu3000is bought back in like 2005-ish

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the 20 amp fuse that is inline to the starter. you will find it wired in above the battery

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
i'll give it a check when I get home. I would think it would stop the starter from operating all together though.

Oh, and the battery is new, cranks it over just like it did before when the key ignition worked.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
still fighting with this. I just used the pull start last year at Sebring, but now the problem has changed kind of.
I've followed the diagnosis procedure and it told me that it was a bad combination switch. Bought a new switch and it does the same exact thing. It will crank the motor, but no spark at the plug.

If I disconnect the combination switch and pull the cord, I get spark at the plug and the genny will run and output power. Plug the switch in and the genny dies.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back