Cheap Spoiler Delete!

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
Ok well looking into buying a ducktail spoiler and decided to find my options b4 jumping in. Found Kris selling his ducktail in the classifieds and him having the SS Gen 1 ducktail(Factory holes not covered) i needed a way to cover holes without it getting to expensive. Thought " Oh this should be easy". Unbolt 4 bolts and replace with plugs and good to go.... WRONG! Me never unbolting my spoiler, not knowing some dumbass at FOMOCO decided 4 bolts wasnt enough to hold a barely semifunc wing. NOOOoooO they had to add gobs and gobs of SUPERMAN STRENGHT 3M tape. Needless to say it wasnt fun getting it off and on top of that, the shit sticks to just about anything as your workin your ass off to remove it. Having an 07(Made 09/2006) that shit was bonded on there hella good. Found good water tight plugs at Autozone for about 2 bucks. Heres a few pics of the "Easy:wtf:" cheap spoiler delete.
Removal of decklid made the work much easier(And a hell of alot cooler indoors)
xfuue0.jpg

This shit right here is CRAZY STUCK!
23k9p5h.jpg

45 Min later! Almost done with one.
2afmt0x.jpg

1 Down and 1 bastard to go(Goo gone is prolly bad for paint but hell nothing else worked.
jv6hdj.jpg

Little soapy water got it cleaned up.
2d7iidl.jpg

All done with plugs in.(resizing image made them look weird)
2dt0h09.jpg

All done and back on the car.
j74x1e.jpg

Another view.
afh3zd.jpg

All i have to say is JUST CAUSE THEY INVENTED 3M DOESNT MEAN YOU GOTTA PUT THAT SHIT ON EVERYTHING.:yuck:

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it looks better than i spected. gj

lol dude ur setup up is really close to mine haha even made almost the same power

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can really see where the spoiler was in that last picture. Did you try to wax or buff that area out any at all?

Also....do you thinki it could be more noticable with the white paint?

RH

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
In the last pic you can see the Platnium turtle wax. Took awhile to buff it out but it matched pretty good. Gonna paint plugs to match in the morning. For a total of $1.98 for plugs and $4 dollars for "HP" code Duplicolor paint i think it will look good.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since your car is white and you ripped that spoiler off without screwing up the paint, you should try filling those holes with epoxy, mask off the area and hit it with some touchup paint. I tried this and it will work, but it is difficult with a darker colored car.

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man that antenna looks terrible on the trunk. I put my aftermarket antenna on the package tray and it works fine. That wasn't one of Ford's better ideas imo.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
3M adhesive remover is your friend when dealing with that crap!

I just pulled off my chin spoiler since I dinged it up and just some soaking with adhesive remover and a little elbow grease quickly removed all the 3M tape. Goo gone does help with the last little bit, but the remover really helps get the adhesive broke down.

alexthejew

Jewish and lovin it.
Reaction score
3M adhesive remover is your friend when dealing with that crap!

I just pulled off my chin spoiler since I dinged it up and just some soaking with adhesive remover and a little elbow grease quickly removed all the 3M tape. Goo gone does help with the last little bit, but the remover really helps get the adhesive broke down.

you know, i may just try this. the spoiler can always go back on.

Reaction score
"3M adhesive remover is your friend when dealing with that crap!"

That stuff is awesome, but it's not too good for your paint. Use sparingly. I don't really care about show quality paint myself, so I use it often. Just try to wipe it off quick as possible.

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"3M adhesive remover is your friend when dealing with that crap!"

That stuff is awesome, but it's not too good for your paint. Use sparingly. I don't really care about show quality paint myself, so I use it often. Just try to wipe it off quick as possible.

I use the 3M pinstripe removal tool. It is fast and will not damage the paint when used following the manufacturers instructions.

http://www.goferauto.com/3mstwh.html

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
looks decent but I couldn't deal with that so I got mine filled / painted.

alexthejew

Jewish and lovin it.
Reaction score
thanks for this. i just took off mine.
8424_155139963508_504823508_2757624_6761527_n.jpg

i will clean it up and take more pictures in the morning.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back