August 2010 COTM: Pacettr

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pacettr1.jpg

Pacettr's Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition S302PJ #494​

After a one month vacation, I am back with the August COTM! This month we have Barrett's rare Saleen PJ Mustang that is actually used for what it was intended for! Road Racing? Check. Drag Racing? Check. Daily driver? Check. Here is Barrett in his own words describing his awesome ride.

I am honored and humble to have been selected as the COTM. Thank you to the entire forum for making this a great place and giving others inspiration to modify their s197.

My name is Barrett and I am the Finance Director/Sales Manager for the largest Ford dealer group in Oklahoma. I have been into Mustangs since I can remember, as one of my earliest memories is riding in the back of my dad's Black/Red Vinyl 67 289 Fastback. My first Mustang was a 79 Pace Car which I still own and plan to restomod over time.

Pacettr3.jpg

I took delivery of S302PJ # 494 in July of 2007 at the dealership I work for. When I originally ordered the car, I requested the Scenic Roof, but was told by my rep, Michael Timarac, that all PJ's were to be identical, no options, per Steve Saleen. I was a bit let down but was still excited to have ordered the ultimate all-around s197. I told Michael to make mine the latest build number available, which was of course #494.

As my build approached, I received a call from Mr. Timarac informing me that the Scenic Roof was approved, and that he needed to fax me the invoice so that I could sign off on it. At first I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't! I asked that the Saleen Fosgate Punch system be installed as well, making my car the only production PJ that was modified pre-delivery to my knowledge.

Pacettr4.jpg

Notice the glass scenic roof in the pictures--which makes this PJ truly one of a kind---psfracer

I have always modified my Mustangs, but I wanted this car to stay stockISH. My original plan after installing a Spydershaft, Kooks long tubes and off-road h-pipe, and JDM tune was possibly a more aggressive port job on the heads, more aggressive cams, and whatever aftermarket intake manifold became available to get the most power possible while retaining the look and functionality of the Shaker setup. No aftermarket blower would do...until the Supershaker.

With even more help from my friend Michael, as well as Alex Bowman, Carlos Duran, Ned Shortsleeve, Jared Chavez, etc, I was able to get a SMOKING deal on a Supershaker and Extreme heat exchanger.

More is never enough so I called up Jr and after discussing things I ordered a GT500 fuel system, 60# injectors, 3.2 pulley, and the requisite tune. The car went 12.16 @ 117 with bad synchros preventing any kind of shifting.

While having the synchro TSB done, the technician informed me that the stock clutch was hanging in there but probably wasn't a very happy camper. Enter a McLeod RST twin disc clutch, CHE torque limiters, K-member brace, driveshaft loop, and a new set of M&H 18" drag radials. These mods resulted in a best of 11.47 on a hot humid Tulsa day.

pacettrtrack2.jpg
pacettrtrack1.jpg

This car does it all. Road course, Drag strip, daily dirver! --- psfracer

Next up was a 3.0 pulley and a FRPP throttle body. A full day at the track rewarded me with a bitter sweet 11.006 @ 126.23.

pacettrtrack4.jpg

So close to 10s! Shouldn't have eaten that cheeseburger earlier---psfracer

Interior modifications are limited to a Kenwood head unit with PJ logo background, MGW shifter, and SOS dual A-pillar pod with Saleen boost and IAT gauges.

This car has been and will continue to be an absolute joy to own. It is right at home at car shows, drag strip, road course, or a night on the town. I look forward to more mods on my quest for the 10's as well as very slight visual enhancements. I want the car to appear mostly stock while having that little something extra to make it stand out.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank some people who have helped me along the way. I don't want this to sound like I've won an Emmy or something, but these people deserve recognition.

First and foremost, my wife for putting up with this crazy and expensive hobby. All the previously mentioned folks at Saleen, Jim Sr and Jr at JDM for parts and tuning, ALL MY LOCAL "Mustang friends" that keep me on my toes, and anyone else I have forgotten. Last but not least, fellow s197forum members that share the same passion for fast Mustangs as I do.

Pacettr2.jpg

Last edited:

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love the PJ. They were made less than a mile from my house. I took a tour of that factory a couple of times. I also used to see a couple of different S7s gas up at the Chevron station down the street. I assumed they were out test-driving them.

Congrats on COTM. Very well deserved!!!!

Shades

Reaction score
Beautiful car!! The scenic roof really sets it off especially, completes the whole package! Love that you actually drive the car and don't just garage it, keep up the good work and congratulations!!!

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
beautiful car. and plus one on the driving. theres a guy in my neighborhood who has a PJ that only comes out for shows. i hate that crap. and i need a glassback in the worst way

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Thank you!!! Between my diet and a set of Bogart big/littles 10's should arrive soon. No more cheeseburgers!!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back