Normal for compressor to run on start?

Count

forum member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if it's normal to have the compressor run when you start the car after it sits overnight?

I just finished the install and was monitoring the bags to make sure I didn't have any leaks, and I don't :) but I did notice that when I turn the key the compressor kicks on. The fittings are tight on the tank so I just wanted to know.

On a different note has anyone tried the "Compressor Isolator Kit"? How much quieter does it make the compressor?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
if it always has to start after sitting over night, then you have a leak somewhere between the compressor and the valve block.

take some windex or similar and spray the fittings over the tank, the hose connections etc until you find it

Count

forum member
Reaction score
if it always has to start after sitting over night, then you have a leak somewhere between the compressor and the valve block.

take some windex or similar and spray the fittings over the tank, the hose connections etc until you find it

Thanks. I'll have the guys at the shop take a look. :thumb:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
also note, if youve checked every single fitting and connection between the compressor and the valve block, including the spare fittings that you blocked off in the tank. take the filter off the compressor inlet and see if its coming out there.

My check valve went bad and was slowly/occasionally leaking back through the compressor itself

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Agree with Wesley, you likely have a leak. Do you sit your car overnight aired-out or at ride height? If at ride height and the compressor starts you have a leak for sure. But if aired out it is possible the tank is refilling based on the system raising your car on start and replenishing the tank pressure.

I have two VIAIR compressors with isolator kits on both. Since I have had them installed pretty much from the beginning I can't really tell if they made a difference or not, but with them, I do not sense any vibration while in the drivers seat when the compressors are running.

Nelson, good luck finding the leak if it turns out you have one!

Count

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks all :thumb: I'm checking it out. It stays at ride height when shut off so I'm looking for the leak before the valve block :)

Count

forum member
Reaction score
So they found 3 leaks before the manifold...mainly around the moisture separators...when fixing the leak they cracked one...ugh! Gotta order another.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Doh!!!

Good luck getting them all found

junkyard08

forum member
Reaction score
that sucks man. good luck. I need to redo mine in a couple spots only to install the water traps. I just havent done it yet because I dont want to deal with leaks. LOL.

Count

forum member
Reaction score
Oh well, I just ordered another separator. I have one installed that's leak free and it between the tank and the manifold. The one that cracked was between the compressor and the tank. I just ordered another one but for right now it's installed without the separator with no leaks :)

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Once you get it air tight you should be good for the long hall. Was lucky on my install as I only had one leak and that too was on one of the water traps. It was very easy to get at and fortunately was a quick fix.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yea if your water traps are plastic don't just torque them down. Gotta use the liquid Teflon to fill all the gaps and just get it snug

Count

forum member
Reaction score
The Air Lift /SMC water traps I used were metal.

So were mine, I used the 1/4 Jeremy suggested, part # 21011.

http://www.airliftperformance.com/product/21011/

supposedly it kept leaking, they used teflon, plumbers dope, etc and it wouldn't seal. So they tried to tighten the fitting a bit more that it actually cracked...

21011_v0_1397138270-770x433.jpg

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Holy hell. Did they tighten it with a pipe wrench and cheater bar. And Thor's hammer? Lol

Count

forum member
Reaction score
definitely had me scratching my head....fuckers cost me another $45...lol

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yea i just used tape on everything, but i also didnt torque the fuck out of it all.

just wrap the male fittings a few times and get them snug, shouldnt leak at all

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back