$130 oil change

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
My wife had spent the night at the hospital with her grandmother and drove the 'stang home Saturday morning. As soon as she got home I went out and got it up on ramps to change the oil. Under the car I got dripped on and wondered what in the heck...

Sure enough the wonderful PLASTIC thermostat housing was leaking. I could not wait until Wednesday or Thursday to get a metal one delivered so I go get a lifetime warranty replacement plastic one and do the job. Not a difficult repair, but dang....I did NOT expect to do all that and spend that much money.

Counting the new housing, coolant, silicone (because I just have a need to use it on pretty much every place water flows), oil and filter the cost was about $130.

On the bright side, I was able to get rid of the orange coolant someone had put in there.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
130 is a cheap repair my friend, be thankful you have the resources to do it yourself, lol.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
You're doing it wrong. Walmart sells Mobil 1 for under $30 for 5 quarts.

I used AMSOIL and changed the filter each time too. Under $100 shipped when using Greg (It is about $110 retail not counting any shipping costs). I would only go for Mobil 1 if I was in a bind, and the stores would be out of RP.

8 quarts is a BUNCH of oil. My last car took 8 for an oil change.

When I first got my 2012, the parts stores wouldn't believe that the motor needed 8 qts. They kept looking up an older engine saying it needed only 6 or less (they were looking up new edge models). I had to show them the owner's manual. I was shocked that it was 8 qts. too, because before that, the largest motor in the driveway only took 6 qts., and it was a 6.0L V8.

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score

This. I believe it was $23 for plain M1 (not the extended performance brand) at my local WM. And you can't count the cost of thermostat housing & related items as part of the oil change. :whistle1:

I'm sure the bigger sump is to prevent oil starvation at higher G loads and allows for extended oil change intervals for the typical driver.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the plug! :clap:

I used AMSOIL and changed the filter each time too. Under $100 shipped when using Greg (It is about $110 retail not counting any shipping costs). I would only go for Mobil 1 if I was in a bind, and the stores would be out of RP.

When I first got my 2012, the parts stores wouldn't believe that the motor needed 8 qts. They kept looking up an older engine saying it needed only 6 or less (they were looking up new edge models). I had to show them the owner's manual. I was shocked that it was 8 qts. too, because before that, the largest motor in the driveway only took 6 qts., and it was a 6.0L V8.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
"$130 oil change" is quite a misleading thread title.
You did an oil change and while doing that you found and fixed another issue.
All for only $130.
I'd say that's a great deal, especially since you saved a ton on doing the labor yourself.

But you have to be willing to put that crap in your engine.
I'm not.

I used AMSOIL and changed the filter each time too. Under $100 shipped when using Greg (It is about $110 retail not counting any shipping costs).

Which Amsoil are you using?
I use the Signature 5w50 for my Track Pack car and it's $8.60/qt for me since I signed up on Amsoil's site as a Preferred Customer ($20/yr or less if signing up for a few years at once like I did)
Their XL-series 5w20 is $6/qt and it will go up to 10k miles like Ford says these 5.0's can do.
Filters are $8-13 depending on model and brand (Wix or Amsoil)
The Signature-series (top of the line) 5w20 comes up as $8.30/qt for me

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've owned my 2002 F150 since 2004 and have almost 200K miles on it. Been running Mobil1 5w-30 since the first oil change and have never had an oil related issue. It's also the only oil I've ever used in both of my Mustangs and the truck I owned before the F150. If I had a single shred of evidence that the oil I've been using exclusively for the last 15 years was 'crap' or even anything other than 'more than good enough' then your words might carry a smidgen of weight. But I've never even heard of anyone ever having a single oil related failure that could be attributed to Mobil1 oil.

I'm sorry but when you dis a perfectly good product like Mobil1 oil then you simply sound like an Amsoil salesman. Keep believing in your snake oil, I'm sure it's fine (at 2x the price). I will continue running Mobil1 until my first oil related engine repair. At this rate it could be another decade or more.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I've owned my 2002 F150 since 2004 and have almost 200K miles on it. Been running Mobil1 5w-30 since the first oil change and have never had an oil related issue. It's also the only oil I've ever used in both of my Mustangs and the truck I owned before the F150. If I had a single shred of evidence that the oil I've been using exclusively for the last 15 years was 'crap' or even anything other than 'more than good enough' then your words might carry a smidgen of weight. But I've never even heard of anyone ever having a single oil related failure that could be attributed to Mobil1 oil.

I'm sorry but when you dis a perfectly good product like Mobil1 oil then you simply sound like an Amsoil salesman. Keep believing in your snake oil, I'm sure it's fine (at 2x the price). I will continue running Mobil1 until my first oil related engine repair. At this rate it could be another decade or more.

On my '07 5.7 Charger, it never used oil until I went to Mobil 1, then it was 1 qt per 1,000 miles ... switched away from it and the consumption went back down to almost nothing.
Sorry, but I think Mobil 1 is simply overrated.
And there's proof out there about their ingredients and how quickly they break down.
Not gonna go digging it up, don't want to turn this into another oil thread ...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To be fair Mobil 1 is not as good as it once was, they had to refine it to be able to compete with the other brands to sell at places like Wal Mart...and if you notice Mobil 1 is not the oil used in the higher end cars like the vette/porchse like it used to be when Mobil 1 was a top shelf oil.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
"$130 oil change" is quite a misleading thread title.
You did an oil change and while doing that you found and fixed another issue.
All for only $130.
I'd say that's a great deal, especially since you saved a ton on doing the labor yourself.

But you have to be willing to put that crap in your engine.
I'm not.

Which Amsoil are you using?
I use the Signature 5w50 for my Track Pack car and it's $8.60/qt for me since I signed up on Amsoil's site as a Preferred Customer ($20/yr or less if signing up for a few years at once like I did)
Their XL-series 5w20 is $6/qt and it will go up to 10k miles like Ford says these 5.0's can do.
Filters are $8-13 depending on model and brand (Wix or Amsoil)
The Signature-series (top of the line) 5w20 comes up as $8.30/qt for me

I think the last oil change I did on the Mustang was 5w-30 signature series. 2 gallons and EAO filter. I buy AMSOIL through Greg (another shameless plug :p). There is a small fee for using "normal" Paypal route which I used just to have a record of purchases.

I haven't bought any for the truck yet since I haven't found time to do it. I just take it to the dealer for about $50, and they rotate the tires for me too. All I do is chill for about an hour or so with my friends at the dealership.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The sig series Amsoil also is good for 15k for ecoboost engines or 25k for normal engines so changing your oil once a year mitigates the cost between other oils and Amsoil.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
My wife had spent the night at the hospital with her grandmother and drove the 'stang home Saturday morning. As soon as she got home I went out and got it up on ramps to change the oil. Under the car I got dripped on and wondered what in the heck...

Sure enough the wonderful PLASTIC thermostat housing was leaking. I could not wait until Wednesday or Thursday to get a metal one delivered so I go get a lifetime warranty replacement plastic one and do the job. Not a difficult repair, but dang....I did NOT expect to do all that and spend that much money.

Counting the new housing, coolant, silicone (because I just have a need to use it on pretty much every place water flows), oil and filter the cost was about $130.

On the bright side, I was able to get rid of the orange coolant someone had put in there.

Why didn't you take it in for warranty repair? Out of warranty?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The sig series Amsoil also is good for 15k for ecoboost engines or 25k for normal engines so changing your oil once a year mitigates the cost between other oils and Amsoil.

Yup.
Between running a great oil like Amsoil and driving the car less than 5k/year the last 2 years, I change the oil and filter at the beginning of the season and it's done for the year

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back