Are cams and gears worth it?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
It really depends what you want out of the car.
If you just want a fun street car, go with the Ford Racing Hot Rods and 4.10's. They will both increase the fun factor. Go with that and a remote tune from Lito and enjoy.

They may not be "ideal" for a power adder but with boost, power comes easily and a lot of these power adder cars are making more power than the chassis and driver can harness so unless you are dead set on winning a specific class, you really don't need to get caught up in having the "ideal" combination.

The Hot Rod cams hold their value pretty well too and are an easy flip in the classifieds if you do want to go a different direction.

This is what we did to the kids car at first and it was well worth it. Good sounding cams and the gears and tune wake the car up pretty good!

1BigDog

forum member
Reaction score
Ron, My previous Mustang was an 07 GT convertible. I wanted that hot rod lope too and I went with the Brenspeed Detroit Rocker cams, a FRPP CAI and their 93 tune. All of that only netted me 280 hp at the wheel, an expensive disappointment. Later on I added a JLT CAI and it opened it up some more. I also added Flowmaster american thunder axlebacks and 3:73 gears. The car was fast enough but if I wanted serious HP I needed to spend thousands on a power adder and still would only be in the 400 hp range. Which is one of the reasons why I moved on to a Coyote. But for what I had in the 07 the car sounded awesome. The Detroit Rocker cams do sound awesome and combined with the flowmasters, the car rattled windows on idle. I could have added longtubes and a manifold and maybe had 300 at the wheel. But if its sound you are looking for then the DT cams rock.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I started out with the stage 2 Muther Thumpers and flowmasters and the sound was awesome. Sounded like a NASCAR setting the driveway. The driveability was terrible. At low RPM's it lurched and bucked and pissed me off. The in-car drone was deafening.
Now I have the Detroit Rockers and Roush Extreme Exhaust and it drives great and sounds really good. Not as rough and lopy as the Muther Thumpers but way better over-all and has that old muscle car sound. Be careful that the cams you choose does not negatively affect you driving experience and you end up hating it.

Ron

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies. 4.10 gears should be delivered tomorrow.

I Have a S197 garage lined up to install them.

Ron

Reaction score
So I've read up some on BBR NSR Stage 1 billet cams. Prices on used seem to be very reasonable. Wondering if anyone here has experience with these? Would Lito be able to do a tune for them? I plan on finding an SCT tuner so I could get a tune from him. Again, thanks for all the help.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
The Common experience and his reputation on this board and elsewhere is that he can tune anything on a 3V motor. I have never read a negative thing about his tunes, not once. I will be doing a remote tune with him once I get my new motor running. Lito all the way. Lund and AED are others who do remote stuff , but Lito would be my first choice.

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
If you do nothing else, 4.30 gears and a tune with transform the car. People get carried away with power mods when gears should honestly he a 1st mod.
I have 4.56 gears in my car and can cruise 70 MPH at 2600 RPM, the "power" increase is akin to adding nitrous. The car does everything better now. Launches, its easier to drive, nearly identical MPG, no real down side.

46addict

Reaction score
Steeper gears do make all the difference, assuming you have traction to support it. It's another mod that needs to be picked with the end goal in mind though. For road racing and half mile events you need to look at terminal speeds and choose a gear that will keep you out of 5th. But to make a blanket statement, less power calls for steeper gears.

Ron

Reaction score
4.10's are going in next week. Found an unmarried SCT X4 for a nice price locally.

Any input on the BBR Stage 1's? I found a used set for a good price.

If I would get them, I'd have Lito tune it.

Thanks!

Ron

Reaction score
Just an update (if anyone cares), 4.10s are in and they are great!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just an update (if anyone cares), 4.10s are in and they are great!
Ron,

I ran 4:10 gears for years and then thought I would try the 3:73 gears.

Big mistake, the Ford Racing 4:10 gears Rock.
icon14.gif

Terry

Ron

Reaction score
Terry,

Yes they do rock! It's been years since I've ran something with 4.10s and a first with a 5 spd. Definitely refreshing!!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry,

Yes they do rock! It's been years since I've ran something with 4.10s and a first with a 5 spd. Definitely refreshing!!

Ron,

Enjoy them buddy as they are to me the Shit for gearing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

LOL,
Terry

Reactions: Ron

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back