Front LCA Bushing Options

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
I just found that the large bushings in my front control arms are weeping oil whenever I put load on them, so I've been looking into replacements.

My car is a 2011 Mustang GT that mostly sees track use, so of course, I would prefer something stiffer. However, I remember reading about Vorshlag's experience with stiff control arm bushings and Hoosiers causing EPAS failures. If I can avoid it, I'd rather not pay $1000 for a reprogrammed steering rack that is otherwise identical to mine.

I talked to my local dealership, and I was told that I could not buy replacement bushings independently. I had to buy a whole control arm at $135/ea. That price isn't terrible, but I can get a full set of aftermarket bushings for under $100. The only other option I've found is the Ford Racing front bushing kit that costs $450 (no thanks).

Unless I want to risk an EPAS failure, it sounds like buying a new set of FLCA's is my best bet. Are there any other options that I should consider?

Thanks.

Tri-bar

Reaction score
If you have an 11 then the Polly bushings way/will cause a shudder. You track your car, then replace the rack. 12-13 rack should do it, I played it safe and got a 13 GT rack for 19" wheels. Have had no issues ever since.

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
If the later racks are compatible, getting one of them and replacing my worn bushings with aftermarket ones definitely seems like the best option.

Thanks for the advice.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
If the later racks are compatible, getting one of them and replacing my worn bushings with aftermarket ones definitely seems like the best option.

Thanks for the advice.

That is the best option in my opinion. A "takeoff" rack isn't that expensive, and the handling benefits will be well worth it for a track car.

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
Is there any physical difference between the base, GT, and GT500 racks for '13 and '14 models? I've read a few sources mentioning that certain racks are programmed for specific wheels, but I imagine that just affects the power assist due to scrub radius or tire aligning moment effects (which are irrelevant with aftermarket wheels and Hoosiers). I haven't found any other sources that mention a difference in rack design among the different trim lines, so I assume they're the same.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I'm reasonably sure they're all the same. The GT500 might have steering limiters??? I don't know that for sure and heard it from a "somewhat reliable" source.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm reasonably sure they're all the same. The GT500 might have steering limiters??? I don't know that for sure and heard it from a "somewhat reliable" source.
I thought they had different part numbers based on wheels size.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Saturday was my first track day with my poly front LCA bushings. Better, but not sure they make a big difference. Maybe a slightly more precise. Seems most noticeable under braking, eliminating any dartiness or tramlining. I run a little toe out for turn-in so I had some dartiness.

$65 bucks for bushings was cheap, but a significant amount of messy work for install. No noises so far

Last edited:

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Same observation here. I have the energy suspension ones which are huge (ESP legal) so they probably still flex a good bit, but didn't get the massive performance improvement I expected. Mostly much more stable under braking. Not much of a detriment to ride either.

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
Since this thread was resurrected, my final update is that I "wasted" my money on the Ford Racing steering rack that I knew would be compatible with poly bushings. I had also read online that it provided better steering feel, and I decided to gamble since this car isn't exactly known for its steering feel. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any benefit on the track. The steering feel is heavier, which gives the illusion of better feel, but I didn't notice any improvement in feeling tire grip. A '13 or '14 rack would have been a more economical decision assuming it doesn't have the same feedback issue as the '11 and '12 racks.

I also experienced an issue with my Energy Suspension bushings that's worth mentioning. When I first installed them, I forgot to order zerk fittings and grease, and since I was limited on time, I just used the grease that came with the bushings. I put ~540 miles on them including ~45 min of track use, and I took them back off to install zerk fittings. The rear bushings looked brand-new, but when I removed the front bushings, they basically crumbled into pieces.

Here are some pictures of the carnage:
IMG_1208_zpsqdpwsktw.jpg

IMG_1196_zpsgpkiz8ux.jpg

I noticed some minor squeaking over rumble strips, but otherwise, they were silent, and there was little resistance when I moved the control arm. I was very surprised to see this kind of damage with such little use.

I called Energy Suspension and emailed them a lot of pictures, and their engineering team said it was caused by a manufacturing defect that shouldn't happen again. Interestingly, they also recommended AGAINST installing zerk fittings because drilling/cutting the bushing could cause tearing when it's stressed. I installed zerk fittings anyway. I've put another ~1500 miles including ~3 hours of track time since then, and I haven't noticed any issues, so hopefully they're fine now. I haven't pulled the control arms off again, but there is no compliance when I tug on the wheels. Hopefully nobody else has this problem.

Regarding performance, I also have noticed little benefit. At the same time, I've noticed little detriment to ride quality. My lap times aren't any better, and the response of the car hasn't changed. Despite the durability problems of the OEM bushings, I'm almost tempted to suggest replacing the OEM control arms (at ~$140/ea.) instead of spending the money and time on installing poly bushings. I'll have to keep an eye on mine over time to see how well they hold up.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score

GT500's definitely have some sort of limiter. I hate trying to turn around in those things, you hit the locks so quickly.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
GT500's definitely have some sort of limiter. I hate trying to turn around in those things, you hit the locks so quickly.

Did they add EPAS to the GT500's? I thought they were Hydraulic till 2014?

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
That bushing shell (top picture) looks distorted, like the inner sleeve was moving a whole lot more than it ever should have. Any idea how that might have happened?

This may have me doing some rethinking.

Norm

I am going to go out on a limb and say that, because of the excessive deflection, the front mounting bolts contacted the sleeves and bent them to the shape you see.

This post shows a good example of why I do not 100% trust poly in a car that is raced. The material is way too inconsistent. Those "manufacturing defects" are not all that uncommon...and can really put their customers in a bind. We know all about bad batches of poly bushings. lol

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb and say that, because of the excessive deflection, the front mounting bolts contacted the sleeves and bent them to the shape you see.

This post shows a good example of why I do not 100% trust poly in a car that is raced. The material is way too inconsistent. Those "manufacturing defects" are not all that uncommon...and can really put their customers in a bind. We know all about bad batches of poly bushings. lol

Agreed. There wouldn't be one poly bushing on my entire car if that wasn't the only option due to rules.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back