Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Was he in drag radials?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be looking into this to hopefully add another 3V to the entry list. Sounds like a blast.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
I'm aiming to go to May 6 in ga event

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
isnt this a sure fire way to grenade a stock shortblock on a 3v? ive been tempted every year to do this since they had a Chicago based event but grenading my motor has kept me at bay. i have an 08 bullitt making 515/530 rwhp, paired with a '09 tr6060 , 3.73 rear gear, and 305/45/18 nt05r. ive wondered for years what its capable of...

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
You certainly have the power to window a block. I would dial down the boost and stay out of overdrive if you have to run it on the stock block.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
isnt this a sure fire way to grenade a stock shortblock on a 3v? ive been tempted every year to do this since they had a Chicago based event but grenading my motor has kept me at bay. i have an 08 bullitt making 515/530 rwhp, paired with a '09 tr6060 , 3.73 rear gear, and 305/45/18 nt05r. ive Winsted for years what its capable of...
Matt,

Just a suggestion Big-Guy "STOP" while your ahead with the H/P & Torque you have now.

Your IMO at the Limit for a stock bottom-end.

Terry

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
terry, ive been hanging on this forum for years. i know I'm at the bleeding edge if i were to push it hard. hence my non participation in the event haha. i suppose im just in a round about way pondering would I need to shift into overdrive for this event? fwiw, i shift at 6000. if i could run this event without going into od, id consider it. that said im scared to run it hard at the 1/4 mile tracks here haha.

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
isnt this a sure fire way to grenade a stock shortblock on a 3v? ive been tempted every year to do this since they had a Chicago based event but grenading my motor has kept me at bay. i have an 08 bullitt making 515/530 rwhp, paired with a '09 tr6060 , 3.73 rear gear, and 305/45/18 nt05r. ive wondered for years what its capable of...

Yes, it's a very good possibility that will happen. At 6k in 4th gear you're at 138, take it to 6.5k at you're at 150.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
terry, ive been hanging on this forum for years. i know I'm at the bleeding edge if i were to push it hard. hence my non participation in the event haha. i suppose im just in a round about way pondering would I need to shift into overdrive for this event? fwiw, i shift at 6000. if i could run this event without going into od, id consider it. that said im scared to run it hard at the 1/4 mile tracks here haha.
Matt,

I'm not telling you what to do buddy.
Just giving you a thought and maybe something to consider.
If I were you and did not want to spend the dollars for a Built-Bottom-End ???
I would back off on the Boost and or Tune or a little of each whatever it took and get the Torque back below the 500 Foot Lbs.
Then I think you could run the car much harder with a lot less concern over throwing a rod through the block.
At the power level your at and BTW I've been there with mine years ago with the Stock-Bottom-End.
I was, Point-Blank-Told, it's just a matter of time if you (Keep-Pushing it Terry).
So anyway just mentioning it is all .............

Terry

Last edited:

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
Matt,

I'm not telling you what to do buddy.
Just giving you a thought and maybe something to consider.
If I were you and did not want to spend the dollars for a Built-Bottom-End ???
I would back off on the Boost and or Tune or a little of each whatever it took and get the Torque back below the 500 Foot Lbs.
Then I think you could run the car much harder with a lot less concern over throwing a rod through the block.
At the power level your at and BTW I've been there with mine years ago with the Stock-Bottom-End.
I was, Point-Blank-Told, it's just a matter of time if you (Keep-Pushing it Terry).
So anyway just mentioning it is all .............

Terry
Terry, i never took it that way. the reason ive kept to the sidelines is because i know where im at with the car. its not a competition car for me, just a fun cruiser on nice days. that aside, i appreciate your insight, fortunately ive been on here long enough to understand the limitations and the consequences of getting greedy and where that threshold lies.

Jwoo8804

Reaction score

Matt,

I had a friend who ran the Florida wannagofast event with me a couple years back with a supercharged 08 making about 450rwhp with the 3.73 gears. He's not making quite as much power as you, but had the same gear ratio and wound up having to back out of the throttle a couple hundred feet short of the 1/2 mile mark to avoid shifting to 5th. So, he only wound up trapping in the mid to high 120s. I on the other hand was driving my 08 supercharged Roush making 430rwhp at the time with the 3.55 gears weighing about 3700 lbs with me in it managed to trap 140mph at about 6300 rpms in 4th gear. Stock bottom end, stock trans.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has anyone mentioned aero yet?

At triple-digit speeds, your hood is basically a parachute. I would go with the Tiger Racing louvered hood.

And any hood you use should have FOUR hood pins.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
To Vince's point... I understand the 05-09 have issues over 130mph with hood liftoff. I installed hood pins (only two) on my '05 before I went to VIR. Hood Frisbee is not a game I'd like to play.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Vented hoods better or worse from aero perspective? I'm not a huge fan of pins but understand why they might be needed

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much better. Allowing the air to escape from under the hood (especially in a low pressure zone) promotes better airflow through the radiator, and directing the air over the roof increases downforce and reduces turbulence under the car.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone built an improvement on under belly pan for 05 - 09 that we know of?

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
I'm guessing follow design on boss 302 couldn't hurt

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen some serious track cars with underbelly pans. A basic knowledge of aerodynamics and thermodynamics combined with data logging would have to be combined with excellent fabrication skills to pull it off. You have to be REAL careful to direct air to components that rely on the turbulent air for cooling. Specifically the transmission, differential, and rear brakes (assuming you already run brake ducts up front).

If you're going so far as to install a custom underbelly pan, you should already have tranny and rear diff coolers on the car, but the coolers are usually only designed to supplement the convection cooling the components are designed for. This isn't as important if the car is only targeting straight line events, though.

I've always wondered how these cheap hood louvers from AM would work

Short answer... Better than nothing. The louvers are most effective when located in the center at the front edge of the engine. Side mounting as the MMD units are is second best. Ducting the air into the radiator and directing it out the hood is the ultimate. Check out Terry Fair's car for how it's done. Cowl hoods (like mine) are great at low speeds, but I'm not convinced they aren't worthless at high speeds due to the air dam effect creating a high pressure zone at the base of the windshield. Maybe I'll install some kind of indicator on my cowl hood outlet to see what direction the air flows at high speed so I can speak more definitively on this. Wind tunnels are not in my future.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back