2008 Door Panels..

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
Did they/do they still sell the door panels without the pleather shit on them? I have the grey door panels that peeled and I'd actually really like bare plastic ones if those exist... maybe on the rental specials?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Goodluck finding some.

Maybe just peel that junk off, clean it and either paint or take it to a upholstery shop to do something?

rjyote

forum member
Reaction score
I found two non-insert panels on ebay for my 08, but that was about three to four years ago. Some might still be found.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
I completely agree. I just want plain plastic too. Not a big fan of the extra fake leather if it's just gonna peel.

Just don't do what I did last summer and try and peel off the insert in hopes to get it to bare plastic. The inserts are melted/fused to the door panel which would require sanding smooth leaving smooth spots on a textured plastic. I had to buy a new door panel at the junk yard cause I screwed mine up. Threw it away.

I used Dap Weldwood contact cement on both doors last summer and it's still holding up.

If it falls again I will be doing something else this time which would involve a dremel and ABS plastic sheeting. Hell I'd rather have a clean cut hole in its place then peeling inserts.

Good luck

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you looked on ebay? If you have gray door panels you should have the pick of the litter. I was trying to find the plain base model (no insert) door panels in black on ebay and all I saw every time I searched was a ton of gray and tan ones.

If I did find black ones they were $500-600 for the pair. Finally swapped to '10+ door panels out of frustration.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The inserts are melted/fused to the door panel which would require sanding smooth leaving smooth spots on a textured plastic.

I think they are actually attached via some kind of adhesive-infused foam. The foam disintegrates causing the inserts to fall off, and since it's plastic there's nothing out there to remove the foam that won't also eat the plastic. Kinda sucks.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Do the 2010+ bolt right in?

They can be made to fit. Requires some trimming and wiring.

6198a4c43eb5c1d71f6bfb3bf4fa933e.jpg

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I used 2010+ panels, very light trimming on the back side of the panel where it meets the metal door. and i removed the switches from each door, and glued the 05-09 switches into the 10+ switch panel, looks just fine, doesnt seem out of place, and no wiring issues.

guy told me he couldnt get wiring to work so he did the same. were you able to get the 10+ switches wired in and working o2sys?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do the 2010 have glued fabric anywhere on there?

The inserts are glued in on the newer ones, but they're much smaller.

It's actually somewhat ironic, the inserts were falling off my originals so I swapped in the '10+ style panels with leather inserts. Two days after I started driving the car, I got in after work and the passenger side one had partly fallen off on one corner. I pushed it back into place figuring I'd just use some silicone if it happened again, but strangely it hasn't.

The plus though, is that the inserts on these look like they'd be way easier to glue back in place than the older panels.

Anyway, the panels do swap right in but a lot of the fastener holes don't line up. I have a writeup on how I did mine in the DIY Tech forum, I was a little anal on how they fit so I made some extra modifications to mine to make them sit flush on the door. If you don't do any of that stuff, they'll go on, but you'll have a difficult time actually getting them flush.

One thing you might want to do, if you care about it, is swap your old door lock switches into the new panels. The new panels have blue lights on the doors while our older ones have green. I didn't even think about this, and it's not super noticeable, but next winter or sometime I might pull the panels off and swap my old switches into them so everything matches.

RDiKtb9.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back