Muffler help

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I just went to pypes longtubes and off road H pipe and I also have cams. I was running a catted X pipe before and into Borla stingers. The stingers were perfect before but now they are WAY too loud! So I put the stocks back on. Now I've been looking for something that gives a nice throaty growl and I've seen the FRPP GTA mufflers and they sound great. It's the sound I'm looking for. Now anyone with these or experience with them, how is the loudness compared to the stingers? I've also heard about the GTB mufflers. Also I cannot find the GTA's anywhere to buy and I like the 4" tip over the 3.5 but not a breaker. Just want louder than the stocks but quieter than the stingers. Any other axle backs to suggest also that are nice, deep, and throaty?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have the GTB's, I use KR's with the factory H pipe... when I installed the GTB's again for a while it felt like I had a rubber band car, no sound at all! So they would work great for a non catted setup, as others have said. I prefer the GTB tip as it's rolled and packed, there's no lip on the inside.

You could stick with borla and install the touring mufflers. I think that's what Tiger runs on his machine.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Okay thanks. I have tried to find video clips of GTB's. But I have heard a bullet before. Just been awhile. Never thought about those. I'll check them out.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Borla Touring are good with an off road H pipe, I was running those last year when I had my off road H on.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I have the GTB's, I use KR's with the factory H pipe... when I installed the GTB's again for a while it felt like I had a rubber band car, no sound at all! So they would work great for a non catted setup, as others have said. I prefer the GTB tip as it's rolled and packed, there's no lip on the inside.

You could stick with borla and install the touring mufflers. I think that's what Tiger runs on his machine.

Compared to a stock muffler how is the loudness? The stocks I can hear in the car a little now with no cats but still so quiet and I know what you mean by rubber band car. Under throttle it's noticeable but not deep enough or enough growl. WOT it gets pretty loud.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think the Bullitt/GTB mufflers are not much louder than the stock S197 cans, having heard very few GT's driven in anger and only have driven one once on the street. They're certainly similar in construction. Exhaust is a bizarre equation, once you take the cats off I'm sure they'd be great.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I think the Bullitt/GTB mufflers are not much louder than the stock S197 cans, having heard very few GT's driven in anger and only have driven one once on the street. They're certainly similar in construction. Exhaust is a bizarre equation, once you take the cats off I'm sure they'd be great.

Okay thanks. I'll see if I can't scoop a set up for really cheap!

I'll look at the MBRP's too.

ChuckyRick

Reaction score
x2 for MBRP. I'm running LT's and O/R H-pipe as well and i will say when you get on it, it's LOUD. But light-moderate throttle around town is perfect imo. Fairly deep and "Rumble-y", as much as a 4.6 can be deep and rumbley anyways

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I just went to pypes longtubes and off road H pipe and I also have cams. I was running a catted X pipe before and into Borla stingers. The stingers were perfect before but now they are WAY too loud! So I put the stocks back on. Now I've been looking for something that gives a nice throaty growl and I've seen the FRPP GTA mufflers and they sound great. It's the sound I'm looking for. Now anyone with these or experience with them, how is the loudness compared to the stingers? I've also heard about the GTB mufflers. Also I cannot find the GTA's anywhere to buy and I like the 4" tip over the 3.5 but not a breaker. Just want louder than the stocks but quieter than the stingers. Any other axle backs to suggest also that are nice, deep, and throaty?

The reason your unable to find the GTA's, is because they went out of production several years ago.. If your looking for FRPP mufflers, most recommend the FR500S a.k.a GT500KR mufflers.. They're well known for providing a deep, throaty muscle car sound with or without cats and also do not drone.. At any rate, I'd recommend looking into the FR500S mufflers..

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Oh well damn. Thanks for that. Been killing myself looking lol. Now are those different from the stingers then? I thought they were the same exact thing? Are they not a straight through like the Borla stingers and are they a more quiet muffler?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
guys who have the GT500 KR's don't usually go with off road midpipes. I can't imagine how loud that would be. You can see straight through the cans.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Oh well damn. Thanks for that. Been killing myself looking lol. Now are those different from the stingers then? I thought they were the same exact thing? Are they not a straight through like the Borla stingers and are they a more quiet muffler?

Yes, they are similar in design with the stingers, being as they are manufactured for Ford performance parts by Borla.. The difference however is the FR500S mufflers are built by Borla to Ford performance parts specifications in which they are designed to not produce that annoying cabin drone as compared to other straight thru muffler designs.. Therefore they are not the same exact thing..

guys who have the GT500 KR's don't usually go with off road midpipes. I can't imagine how loud that would be. You can see straight through the cans.

I wouldn't recommend running a straight thru design with off road mid pipes either.. Much better off with either chambered or a baffle design axle back..

I had the GTA's on my 07 GT and loved them, they where made for FRPP by Supreme Performance. They sound like OEM 2011 GT500
mufflers. The link below has a set at Galpin Ford.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/352013785358?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

That $499.99 price is really expensive for an axle back that is no longer in production.. Heck I can remember when they were going for under $300.00 when Ninosport was still in existence lol.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Definitely do not get KR's/FR500's if you think the Stingers are too loud.

With Pypes LT's and O/R H and cams, I've had both the Stingers and KR's. Stingers sounded good to me but so much drone. KR's had a good sound but so much noise.

I know have the KR's but welded in Magnaflow race bullets in the OTA and it's helped. At WOT it still makes all the noise but it really calmed it down everywhere else. Idle is incredibly deep, vibrates the house or office at work.

If you don't want to weld any resonators in, look at Borla Tourings or the MBRP Street series or whatever it's called. However, I think KR's with Flo Pro Twisters would be a wicked setup, I might have to try that soon.

On a side note, how do you like the sound with the stock mufflers? Are you able to send some videos?

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Alright, well I'm really going to look into all of these suggestions. If I come across one of these sets for dirt cheap I'll probably snag it up and try it out. I've got a pal with a wrecked gt500 and maybe able to grab and just try and see how they are.

What I don't like about the stingers is as soon as 2500rpm comes at any throttle it starts to pop and not be that controlled deep growl. I loved idle cause it just rumbled and felt like 2 12" subs vibrating the air around you. If there was a way to say tame the stingers a bit it would be perfect! Plus the drone underload really bothers my wife.

I have a before and after idle. I can't tell you from outside the car but inside you can hear it but it just sounds so different to me. Like the deep rumble growl isn't there. But WOT it gets loud but doesn't sound mean or growl or deep. This is from in the cab. No real rumble. I'll try and snag a video clip of it. And try to find out how to post it lol.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely do not get KR's/FR500's if you think the Stingers are too loud.

With Pypes LT's and O/R H and cams, I've had both the Stingers and KR's. Stingers sounded good to me but so much drone. KR's had a good sound but so much noise.

I know have the KR's but welded in Magnaflow race bullets in the OTA and it's helped. At WOT it still makes all the noise but it really calmed it down everywhere else. Idle is incredibly deep, vibrates the house or office at work.

If you don't want to weld any resonators in, look at Borla Tourings or the MBRP Street series or whatever it's called. However, I think KR's with Flo Pro Twisters would be a wicked setup, I might have to try that soon.

On a side note, how do you like the sound with the stock mufflers? Are you able to send some videos?

Speed, what would resonators do if installed with the stingers?

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Those that know about the MBRP's. Is there any difference between the aluminized vs the stainless? I've been listening to some and sounds awesome. Nice and throaty with deep rumble. Sounds a little deeper and throatier then my borlas did and I like it. Seems like should be a nice set up with the off road H

46addict

Reaction score
Definitely pay the extra for stainless. If the car sees any sort of moisture or humidity, aluminized versions won't last long.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Alright.

Another question lol. Sorry, but now I have heard they are a chambered muffler but yet I have also been told it's a straight through like the stingers. The only MBRP I can find for the 2006 mustang GT is apparently the race one. The only axleback I see available anywhere I look is the MBRP aluminized or stainless cylinder style or the delete.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back