Muffler help

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, they are similar in design with the stingers, being as they are manufactured for Ford performance parts by Borla.. The difference however is the FR500S mufflers are built by Borla to Ford performance parts specifications in which they are designed to not produce that annoying cabin drone as compared to other straight thru muffler designs.. Therefore they are not the same exact thing..

I wouldn't recommend running a straight thru design with off road mid pipes either.. Much better off with either chambered or a baffle design axle back..

That $499.99 price is really expensive for an axle back that is no longer in production.. Heck I can remember when they were going for under $300.00 when Ninosport was still in existence lol.

I bought mine from Ninosport and payed $259 in 07. Look's like the price has gone up in 10 years.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I bought mine from Ninosport and payed $259 in 07. Look's like the price has gone up in 10 years.

The price increase is more than likely due from being discontinued and nearly impossible to find in new condition.. Still in all, I would not pay $499.99 for GTA mufflers that originally sold for $259.00 while still in production..

There are better options available that can be purchased for $500.00 and under that are currently still in production..

46addict

Reaction score
Alright.

Another question lol. Sorry, but now I have heard they are a chambered muffler but yet I have also been told it's a straight through like the stingers. The only MBRP I can find for the 2006 mustang GT is apparently the race one. The only axleback I see available anywhere I look is the MBRP aluminized or stainless cylinder style or the delete.

The part number for the stainless version I'm looking at is S7200304. My guess is the difference between the race and street versions is that one is a muffler delete and the latter is a chambered muffler. They aren't labeled that way any more so they must have dropped those marketing terms.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mbrp-axleback-0510gt.html

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The MBRP street versions were actually one of my choices until the sales rep I spoke with was unable to provide a straight forward answer regarding why some of their vendors including AM have the MBRP street mufflers listed as a chambered axle back.. When I requested to speak with someone from their tech support dept, the sales rep instead placed me on hold and when she came back on the line a few min later, I was informed by her that after checking with someone from their engineering dept, they supposedly claimed that both the race and street versions are a straight through design and not chambered..

Needless to say, I don't care how well a product is designed or claimed to be.. If the manufacturers customer support dept refuses to provide a potential customer with an upfront and straight forward answer to their questions/concerns, they obviously don't deserve my business in the first place.. It's just as simple as that !

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Okay here's videos of the full exhaust and Detroit rocker cams with stock mufflers. Sounds pretty good outside, just so quiet inside and I also don't like the sound inside. Sounds like a raspy scratchy sound. But from the videos you can see outside sounds pretty nice. I really want a set of GTB's to just slap on and try just for a video clip to put out and compare for people to the stock mufflers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPNpgcjIEG0 Stock muffler drive by and idle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdDVXwWgOY4 Borla idle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cERuU05o-TA Sock muffler idle

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
The part number for the stainless version I'm looking at is S7200304. My guess is the difference between the race and street versions is that one is a muffler delete and the latter is a chambered muffler. They aren't labeled that way any more so they must have dropped those marketing terms.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mbrp-axleback-0510gt.html

Okay, those are the ones then. Talked to many many people and finally got the feedback I've been looking for. Talked to brothers performance near where I live and he verified its a straight through for me. Also talked to a few of the techs at AM and they all said that the MBRP's you have above are compared to the borla tourings for loudness level and may be a hair more quiet which is perfect for me. Also said compared to the Stingers its a different ball park. So hoping my borla stingers sell fast so I can get the MBRP's!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, those are the ones then. Talked to many many people and finally got the feedback I've been looking for. Talked to brothers performance near where I live and he verified its a straight through for me. Also talked to a few of the techs at AM and they all said that the MBRP's you have above are compared to the borla tourings for loudness level and may be a hair more quiet which is perfect for me. Also said compared to the Stingers its a different ball park. So hoping my borla stingers sell fast so I can get the MBRP's!

So why don't you ask the folks over at AM and Brothers Performance about the MBRP's tech specs which clearly state their street mufflers are a chambered design and find out if you get a straight forward explanation from them !

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
So why don't you ask the folks over at AM and Brothers Performance about the MBRP's tech specs which clearly state their street mufflers are a chambered design and find out if you get a straight forward explanation from them !

I did and the guys at brothers performance said they look like a straight through just like the flowmaster outlaws and borlas. He went and opened a set up.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I did and the guys at brothers performance said they look like a straight through just like the flowmaster outlaws and borlas. He went and opened a set up.

What I don't understand, is if the MBRP street mufflers are straight through designed.. Why are they listed as chambered under the product description specs on AM's website ?

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Speed, what would resonators do if installed with the stingers?

It should eliminate most of the drone and reduce the overall volume a tad. Another muffler option I considered was the 2010 GT500 mufflers. They have the same muffler body as the 11+ ones which sound really good, but the 2.5" piping to fit our older cars. I've found them for $200 before.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
What I don't understand, is if the MBRP street mufflers are straight through designed.. Why are they listed as chambered under the product description specs on AM's website ?
Because American muscle screwed up?
Why are you blaming the manufacturer for something a retailer has on third website?
American muscle has also posted as a reply to a customer question that they can only run 91 octane with a supercharger kit and they do not recommend 93 so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in something written differently then what a manufacturer is telling you

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
It should eliminate most of the drone and reduce the overall volume a tad. Another muffler option I considered was the 2010 GT500 mufflers. They have the same muffler body as the 11+ ones which sound really good, but the 2.5" piping to fit our older cars. I've found them for $200 before.

Okay, and I was also just going to ask about the gt500 mufflers on our cars. Heard a few vids and damn they sound nice! What years did those come on? I know the 13-14 were the quad tip and I'm just interested in the single 4" tip. Would love to be able to try those out as well and post them. Maybe help out the next guy on a decision. Wonder if a junk yard would let them go for cheap or someone with the stocks just laying around and has no need.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I'd say that's a goof on AM's part. MBRP doesn't even make a chambered muffler to my knowledge. the MBRP axle back I had several years ago had louvered core, straight through mufflers.

46addict

Reaction score
Do you happen to have a part number for these? Are the 07-12 GT500 mufflers the same or no?

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Do you happen to have a part number for these? Are the 07-12 GT500 mufflers the same or no?

46addict, I've been researching and the 07-09 is different design and the 10-12 is same internally but externally the 11-12 changed to 2.75" inlet and different clamping style along with hangars. So you would jimmy some hangars and cut the inlet off of it and weld a 05-10 inlet on it. But the 2010 is identical and bolts right up.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
2010 is identical and bolts right up.

Correct. Only GT500 muffler that's different from a normal GT muffler AND directly bolts up to the 05-10 cars. I got your PM James, definitely send me videos of the GT500s on your car. I've got a set of 11-12 sitting at the shop with no hangers that are the perfect candidate for a bit of a cut and swap.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Because American muscle screwed up?
Why are you blaming the manufacturer for something a retailer has on third website?
American muscle has also posted as a reply to a customer question that they can only run 91 octane with a supercharger kit and they do not recommend 93 so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in something written differently then what a manufacturer is telling you

Why am I blaming the manufacturer, here's why.. When I asked their sales rep who btw: also refused to grant my request to speak with a tech support rep assured me they were going to contact American Muscle to correct their supposed screw up, however low and behold nearly one year later, AM's website still has the MBRP street mufflers listed as chambered.. Therefore nobody from MBRP ever contacted AM in regards to making the necessary corrections..
Also after watching the video presentation on AM's website, the spokesperson also claims they're a chambered design.. If that wasn't enough, Summit Racing also has them listed as chambered on their site as well..
So I suppose that Summit Racing also screwed up ? That being said, if anybody on this forum can provide some accurate spec info by confirming the street mufflers are indeed straight thru design, I will most definitely reconsider my position towards purchasing them, as they were originally my first choice to begin with.. In the meantime, I've also included a link for Summit Racing's product description..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mbr-s7200304

Last edited:

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Correct. Only GT500 muffler that's different from a normal GT muffler AND directly bolts up to the 05-10 cars. I got your PM James, definitely send me videos of the GT500s on your car. I've got a set of 11-12 sitting at the shop with no hangers that are the perfect candidate for a bit of a cut and swap.

Alright. If I'm able to snag the set my buddies friend has from his wrecked 2010 gt500 I'll slap them on and take a video and post like I did the others above. Even to just try them out for a video. Just want some good comparisons out there. Current setup compared to a fully stock exhaust out of 1-10 is a 2 inside and 3 outside and the borlas are an 11 in and out lol. Also tried the stocks with catted xpipe from magnaflow and was like a 1.5 and a 2 but also cammed so little louder than something not cammed. Idle is all the same for level of loudness just different tone and bass style vibration outside and around the car like a sub hitting. Stock is zero bassiness to it and the borla had a very nice amount. The idle carries more just much more aggressive. Hard to tell in the two idle videos.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Borla/Ford Racing Tourings would satisfy you too. Deep like the stingers but not the overall volume. The GT500s won't be that deep, they'll be a throatier version of the stock mufflers

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late, but figured I could give you my .02 cents. I've had my FR500S axlebacks since the car was stock. I've always loved the sound they produce over any other as far as just an axleback is concerned. When I went to an O/R X pipe, it was still great and never had any drone, it was just too loud when I had my son in the car. He was 2 or 3 at the time and liked to ride with me a lot. So I welded in some Pypes M80 resonators and that took the volume down a hair, but it still had the same amazing sound. Fast forward a bit and now I'm running Kooks LTs with O/R X pipe and honestly, it's a little quieter than I would like it. Start up is great, and at WOT it's awesome, but just cruising, it almost makes me want to either take the resonators out or get rid of the mufflers and just do a muffler delete. Not sure why it's quieter because I was anticipating the complete opposite, but that's what happened. Anyways, let me know if you'd like a video and I can try to help you out. Good luck!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back