More muffler help

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
RE: Flowmaster outlaws vs. GT500 single tips

Hard to find first hand comparisons on this and I've done some googling.

Anyone who has had both care to comment? I have stock headers, offroad H, and resonators.

Thinking about giving the outlaws a try. Have the GT500 single tips right now. I like them but I want something with more volume.

From what I have read. True?
1) Outlaws have a bit of drone around 2K rpm.
2) There is some rasp but it isn't as bad as the roush.
3) Outlaws will have pop/crack on decel.

My GT500 pop/crack when it spins down if I free rev in neutral. Hardly hear that while the car is in gear. It's an automatic. I suspect an automatic will produce less of this in general vs. a manual car.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
More volume, get Borla Touring or want some more get Borla S type.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Anything Borla is out of range what I'm willing to spend on an axle back. I appreciate the suggestion. The Atak is also the only one that is louder than my GT500 single tips.

My main concern is excessive rasp, pop, crackle, etc.. I am hoping the H pipe and dynamax resonators I have would clean things up a bit and make it sound decently OK.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Anything Borla is out of range what I'm willing to spend on an axle back. I appreciate the suggestion. The Atak is also the only one that is louder than my GT500 single tips.

My main concern is excessive rasp, pop, crackle, etc.. I am hoping the H pipe and dynamax resonators I have would clean things up a bit and make it sound decently OK.

Consider Ford Racing FR500S or Roush Extreme axle backs.. Both are well known for producing the least amount of drone and definitely louder over the stock GT500 exhaust..

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I hate the sound of anything with Flowmasters unless it's a Fox. The Outlaws sound like garbage to me.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
What's the part number on the GT500 single tips? Are these the same as the FRPP GTAs?
MPN# M-5230-MGTCA1
^^ What is on the car now. I like it. It just needs to be louder especially at part throttle. Finding the sweet spot is tough with any car, very hard on these IMO.

Drone isn't a problem for me unless it is off the hook crazy bad. I ran boomtubes on the 3v for years. Was no big deal.

I googled the FR500S and that looks like it is for a 3v or a GT500. Ditto on the roush extreme.

Worst case I suppose I could try a set of the outlaws and if they aren't any good re-sell and put the GT500 single tips back on the car. :beer:

I don't mind loud race car sound but it can't be filthy dirty raspy crackly poppy to the point I'd rather hear nails on chalkboard bad. One would assume the H plus the resonators should help. Question is how much.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
MPN# M-5230-MGTCA1
^^ What is on the car now. I like it. It just needs to be louder especially at part throttle. Finding the sweet spot is tough with any car, very hard on these IMO.

Drone isn't a problem for me unless it is off the hook crazy bad. I ran boomtubes on the 3v for years. Was no big deal.

I googled the FR500S and that looks like it is for a 3v or a GT500. Ditto on the roush extreme.

Worst case I suppose I could try a set of the outlaws and if they aren't any good re-sell and put the GT500 single tips back on the car. :beer:

I don't mind loud race car sound but it can't be filthy dirty raspy crackly poppy to the point I'd rather hear nails on chalkboard bad. One would assume the H plus the resonators should help. Question is how much.

My mistake, I missed your signature when originally posted.. Now that I know your car is 2014 GT, I would recommend Roush axle back part # 421127 or perhaps Pypes pype bomb, part # SFM76MS as an alternative to Flowmaster outlaws :waytogo:

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Previous owner of both, but with stock H mostly, and I did run a JBA X for some time.

Single tip GT500's are quiet, but sound really good when at volume.

Outlaws are ridiculous. The drone at 2k is enough to make you want to punch a baby. The X toned it down a little but it was still too much.

Roush is really the way to go on these cars hands down.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have Outlaws, but I also have some mid mounted resonators before the axle. They are loud and obnoxious but the resonators helped with the tone of the exhaust. As far as drone at 2K rpms, I wouldn't know much about that because my car is rarely ever cruising at that engine speed. My shift points are set pretty high though. I don't shift into OD until past 60 mph.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Hmm yah. I have some 12" resonators welded in before the axle too. I had to do it after I got OAP and the cats came out. Tinny rasp was driving me fkn crazy. Resonators supposedly can help with drone too but I'm not sure how they could do that unless welded in after the muffler.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Previous owner of both, but with stock H mostly, and I did run a JBA X for some time.

Single tip GT500's are quiet, but sound really good when at volume.

Outlaws are ridiculous. The drone at 2k is enough to make you want to punch a baby. The X toned it down a little but it was still too much.

Roush is really the way to go on these cars hands down.

I'm also considering Roush as well, however my car is an 06 3v GT.. From my understanding Roush offers only the Extreme axle back kit for the 05-10 3v models which is actually a muffler delete, resonator kit.. So my question is this.. Would this Roush kit be the way to go for the 05-10 3v cars ?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-extreme-axleback-0509.html

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Much like with the roush it seems like the outlaws are a love it or hate it thing with not a lot in between. Done a ton of googling and youtube watching.

From the videos I've seen they seem OK to me. Loud isn't a problem nor is some drone if it isn't ridiculous. I have an offroad H with aftermarket resonators in before the axles. Not a common combination with these mufflers. How big of a difference would it make who can say.

Tough decision. If I do end up getting these or decide to try something else instead. I'm going to polish up and clean my GT500 axle back and keep it. Not going up for sale. Worst case - can just put it back on and chalk this up to a learning experience.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I am yet to find anyone in an 11+ that hates the Roush. I have found a lot of people however that hate the Outlaws, myself included.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
People seem to like it quite a bit. Until the off-road pipe gets in the picture. Then I have read complaints.

Doesn't mean I would have the same experience.

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
I've tried a bunch of axelbacks on my 2011 & 14 and the OEM quads with resonator
deletes wins. It's loud but not too loud.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did not like the Roush. Borlas have been my favorite and Corsas are a close 2nd.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I have Mac axle back and an off road H. I absolutely love the sound. It does drone around 2000 rpm, but I suffer through it because the rest of the time it sounds so freaking good. Cruising down the highway it sounds amazing. Bonus: The axle back was $375.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
One issue is part throttle and idle. Everything is so quiet to me with these cars. Even with off-road pipes. Nothing really gets any volume to me until your foot hits the floor. Or on cold starts. Whoopty doo.

Maybe I am just expecting big block noise out of a small engine and that is the issue. Me.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back