More muffler help

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
One issue is part throttle and idle. Everything is so quiet to me with these cars. Even with off-road pipes. Nothing really gets any volume to me until your foot hits the floor. Or on cold starts. Whoopty doo.

Maybe I am just expecting big block noise out of a small engine and that is the issue. Me.

See my above post. Inexpensive, muscle car sound. Part throttle cruise is perfect. It's heard, but not obnoxious (like straight through types). When you push down on the loud pedal, it's heard blocks away.

hotrod_renegade

Captain Hindsight
Reaction score
You can try out my Steeda (Kooks) axle back if you want. Been sitting in my garage for a few months waiting for me to put them up for sale.

Edit: Found the old video I had of them on my car. Stock manifolds, off road h, stock resonators.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
OK so I should've listened but I had to learn the hard way. I have a set of borla S on the way and I expect that while it won't be as loud I will be happier with them. I thought about the atak but people mentioned rasp so I turned away from those.

The outlaws are loud, have a sweet sounding idle and part throttle. The drone turned out to be an issue mainly for my wife so that alone means they are out of the picture. The problem for me was the blatty raspy sound when you step on it. The H and resonators did not do enough to help. The finish on the tips was good, the finish on the muffler body was not.

So back they go to Amazon prime and I have the borla arriving on Thursday. They are so damn expensive that I'm going to clean up my GT500 and my stock mufflers then put them up for sale.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Sure hoping they are much louder than the GT500's. Volume was one thing I did really like about the flowmasters.

Very curious to see how they are going to sound with an o/r h and dynomax resonators. They get here Thursday so won't have long to wait.

kel445

Cape Cod Bullitt
Reaction score
I recently installed the FR500S KR's. ( M-5230-S). I have a stock Bullitt and these mufflers sound great. Certainly loud when I get on it, but not bad just cruising. If you like the snap and pop of an exhaust, you'll love these.

kel445

Cape Cod Bullitt
Reaction score
Never noticed that it was for a '14. Senior moment! Thanks for the heads up.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Borla S went on tonight. I lucked out and got some 2014 manufacture date. No weep holes so sooner or later that is gonna need to be done.

These are barely louder at idle and part throttle than the GT500. At wide open the difference is more noticeable vs GT500. The outlaws didn't sound this good but were much louder. Tips are super nice on these. Looks great.

One of them doesn't want to stay centered. I go for a drive and it is hanging slightly down and to the outside. Clamps are tight. I may try to loosen up all the clamps back to the midpipe. What is the best way to re-tighten and keep the tip centered? From the muffler to the mid or vice versa?

Last edited:

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
We need an '11-14 GT500 axleback that sounds just the same, but is louder. I love the sound of them, but damn, they are just way too quiet. Nice little growl but as soon as you get next to any type of exhaust on a Mustang, they are drowned right out.

I still think you should have gone Roush on there.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea how anyone can think the Borla S are loud. They definitely don't meet my definition of loud anyway. With the throttle open they approach that. Everywhere else quiet. The issue with the Roush was the rasp with offroad pipes. Read a lot of complaints.

Interestingly the Borla S seems to have some rasp when you get into the throttle. I'm not sure if that is normal with my configuration or of I have a leak under there. I couldn't feel anything obvious by hand so I dunno. I'm tempted to take it to an exhaust shop now since I'm getting tired of messing with this.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You may want to get your hearing checked, seriously. They are a lot louder than GT500 mufflers. Maybe its because i dont have resonators and that let them sing.

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
You may want to get your hearing checked, seriously. They are a lot louder than GT500 mufflers. Maybe its because i dont have resonators and that let them sing.

With the right mufflers that's the key to good sound.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Resonators were worth it to clear up the metallic rasp I had with the GT500 single tips after the o/r h and oap went in.

The borlas sound good just quiet at part throttle and idle. Compared to the outlaws anyway lol

As an aside it's amazing how much Ford wants for replacement exhaust clamps. $44 each. Pretty spendy IMO.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back