Getting the best bang for my buck. I have $5k what should I get done.

fonz3482

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently sold a car and I want to flip the money into my 2007 mustang gt. I currently have for it a mgw shirt throw, pypes long tube headers, pipes catless xpipe, cold air intake, sct bama tuner and 4.10 gears. Some stuff is installed some is not. I can't decide what I want to do and I know nothing about turbo's and super chargers and the pricing. I just want to get the best performance out of my money. I love the sound of cams and always wanted to have them installed.... please help me out on what the best route would be with my current parts I have. Thanks!

Last edited:

myystanng

forum member
Reaction score
Find a used supercharger and throw it on. It'll be a whole new car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
D.O.B. has a FI setup that should fit your pocket book.

Nothing like getting blown! You never forget the first time, and you never want it to stop.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There is no better bang for your buck than boost. Even a very mild 5-6psi setup on a otherwise bone stock 3v will make more hp/tq per dollar than trying to buy every bolt on and dig into the motor/heads/cam to try and make more power.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
FI is nice to have and is probably the best bang for your buck mod you can do.
but in my opinion being able to STOP from the speed FI creates is a little more important than going fast.
also getting the car to handle before going fast is pretty important to.
with your budget you might be able to do all 3 if you are in the right place at the right time, and can do all of the work yourself.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Bang for the Buck is Boost.
If you are just looking for it to Look and sound like a Bad Ass then start with a set of Detroit Rockers N/A cams. Do some research and install them yourself.
Change your X-pipe to a H-pipe (my favorite) and try some mufflers until you get that perfect sound you want. Then every time you crank it you get that big smile on your face.
Do a brake upgrade, maybe just rotors and pads. They really make a big difference and are reasonably priced.
Change the struts and springs to lower it and make it feel like a race car every time you take it out for a spin.
Change to BMR connectors in the rear.
Install the other stuff you already have. The 410's will make it come alive.
Get a good tune with a reputable tuner and programmer you can use later when you decide to go with Boost. Like a SCT4 or nGauge.
Each one of the mods I have listed will make a difference just by itself.
If you are not sure don't spend all your money on 1 big mod that afterword you can't afford all the others ones you need to keep your car balanced and fun to drive.
Just installing the wrong set of cams will make you hate to drive it. Lurching and stumbling.
Boosting power and spinning the tires every time you touch the gas gets old especially if it is raining and you just need to get to work on time.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It will be fun.

Last edited:

fonz3482

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I know nothing about superchargers or turbos and that's what worries me about buying used or installing a system on my own is I have no idea if I have every part, if it's together right, etc... I really like the sound of cams, but I'm even worried to do that myself. My car has very low miles (@ 6000mi) so it worries me to do mods myself and blow the motor or something. Is a supercharger kit fairly easy to install?

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
IF you want a supercharger do the research and see which one is best for you. I have a Procharger P1SC and it is easy to install. Just takes "effort" and some "want to". If you get a complete system, with the great directions and all the YouTube installs available to watch I think my 15 year old could do it. Take your time and do the research and everything will be fine. That's all part of what this great forum is all about. We will help you thru it. For you with your knowledge I would recommend a front mounted belt driven supercharger. Procharger or Vortech are both excellent options. You will hear bad and good about each one as with any other product out there. If you are patient you will find a used one at a good price.

fonz3482

Reaction score
I'm not worried so much about installing the system as I am about buying it used and hoping everything is there and everything isn't worn out. I'd like new, but heard new with tuning is about $8k locally which I don't have. I'm not looking to make big hp like 600-700hp, but 450-500 at the rear wheels would be nice. I don't even know if that's a realistic request for my budget but from the little I do know it seems obtainable. I gotta beat out them new 5.0's! Lol. So if and when I buy used and say it's on this forum that I find the setup I just have to trust the buyer, send them all my "make hp stash" and hope I get a honest seller that sends me a good supercharger kit.... right? I'm sure it's fine and done on a regular basis, but it's all scary to me. I also noticed no one said turbo. Are turbos not liked? Not as cheap? Not as dependable or street friendly? I saw the cheap on3 turbo kit. Some love it, some say stay away. I just want to do what I can afford and what is right for my car. I've been saving and maintaining to look like new for so long so I don't want 1 mod to screw it up. Any more input or eduction on this would be great. Thanks guys !

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I went used and even though everything was there (mostly) I still ended up spending a lot more than if I had just bought a new kit. You will spend as much on the nickle-dime stuff and other installation related expenses as you will on the used setup purchase.

Turbos are ok but all your piping needs to be fabricated. Great if you have a welder and know how to use it, but if you need to pay someone to fab up your piping then that can add up quickly. Also all that piping can be a bitch when you need to do other work on the engine or transmission.

When I had zero experience with superchargers I thought buying used was my least expensive option. Now that I've had experience with a few supercharger setups I think buying new would be my least expensive option.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
You can get a dob stage 3 kit. Includes all but fuel pump iirc for mid 4k

myystanng

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm lucky, but I've least had great success buying used items in here. And have saved thousands in doing so. That vortex kit looks tight on thought for your price. It would be a reliable kit

fonz3482

Reaction score
I have emailed Department of boost to see what they recommend for my budget. Personally I feel a lot better buying new. I really wish I had money for cams. That would totally make this awesome for me. I gotta have that sound!

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I'll sell you my Rotrex kit off my old 2006. Comes with a lot of extra stuff and good parts. It made good power -- car trapped high 120s.

myystanng

forum member
Reaction score
I head goos things on those kits

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
I have emailed Department of boost to see what they recommend for my budget. Personally I feel a lot better buying new. I really wish I had money for cams. That would totally make this awesome for me. I gotta have that sound!

jason is behind schedule on delivering group buy GT450 kits so he will probably send you a few links to his website.

here are a few for your reading pleasure.

good place to read about superchargers.
http://departmentofboost.com/tech/index.htm

link to frequently asked questions
http://departmentofboost.com/FAQ/index.htm

link to DOB products
http://departmentofboost.com/products/index.htm

link to DOB facebook page. it's a closed group but all you need to join is hit ask to join group and you will be approved in less than 1 day.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1158405817571225/

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back