On3 turbo kit education

fonz3482

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I started a thread about how to get the most hp out of $5k and basically was told to get a used or new supercharger and install it on my own. I have contacted department of boost and I'm waiting on a reply from them. I have also been speaking to a member about a used supercharger system. I also contacted a local performance shop recommended to me by a friend to get some suggestions. The owner their says 5k isn't enough to supercharge a car with a good system. I mentioned department of boost and he said the eaton superchargers are kinda poor quality?? Whether that is true or not, idk.... So I asked what he would do in my situation and he suggested I look into On3 turbo kits. I asked for suggestions on what it would cost for a kit, installation and tuning and he said to look at their website. Well that is no help to me because I have no experience with turbo's or FI systems so I have no idea what I'm looking at and they have several systems with several options and I have no idea what I need, what I should add, and what I will need extra besides what's listed On the On3 turbo page. I did search the forum and I saw some good stuff and some very scary stuff with these systems. I think most of the scary stuff was from not tuning the car and giving it boost, but I'm sure some like these systems and some hate them. I'm just looking for input on these and what it will probably cost vs the cost of a supercharger. Also pro's and cons of these systems. Both options(turbo vs SC) seem scary with me being uneducated on this stuff its really hard to think about spending that kind of money and end up with a car in pieces, unfinished or blown up! So unless I can take it to a shop and have it all done, or get my mind wrapped around doing most of this on my own I may just end up with some cams, and bolt-ons and then pray that the car wakes up enough to entertain me because I'm currently bored with the car. I'm sorry for starting another post but I didn't want to mix the 2 and I felt I'd get more help this way. Thanks everyone!

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
I think I would start by talking to a different shop. They seem to be less then interested in having you as a customer.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
The m122 is oem for the gt500's. And their time between rebuilds is like 100k or something.

The dob is a very well put together kit. Would recommend it for others

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Eaton makes some of the best positive-displacement blowers on the planet, that's why most of the OEMs use them.

The shop you talked to sounds like it was staffed by trained opossums.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Eaton makes some of the best positive-displacement blowers on the planet, that's why most of the OEMs use them.

The shop you talked to sounds like it was staffed by untrained opossums.

Fixed it for you. I would run away from that shop and stick with the DOB setup.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you read DOB's posts/articles with the data heavy analysis and healthy dose of honesty you will see he is the option you should look too.

46addict

Reaction score
If plans for the supercharger/turbo fall through, cams & headers like you mentioned will wake the car up too. Those parts will shift the power band so you'll want gears too if you don't already have them.

fonz3482

Reaction score
My problem is there are only 2 shops in my area(Buffalo,NY) The one shop will only deal with what he wants to sell or tells you to pound salt and the other shop will do anything but when I asked if they have experience with a product(DOB or On3) they said the DOB setup uses Eaton blowers which aren't that good, and the ON3 they have never tuned or installed one. Since this shop obviously lacks knowledge about the both products would you let them install and tune the car and feel comfortable about it?? I wouldn't, So both shops to me are no help. I am leaning back towards the DOB kit but still don't know who I'll have tune it. I have a SCT programmer so I'm set there.
If all else fails and I do decided to just go with cams I do have gearing. The car is currently 3.55's and I think that be a good gear if I went with a supercharger, but I do have 4.10's if I went with cams and bolt-ons. It's been my dream to make this car supercharged since I've bought it and something always comes up in life and my money goes elsewhere. I'm so close right now but I need to get everything squared away in my head and planed out start to finish. Otherwise I just see my car getting torn apart and not complete.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you can do the nuts and bolts, Lito can do your tuning remotely. He's been tuning 3v Mustangs for over a decade and is one of the best tuners for this motor anywhere. He's probably tuned every combination of forced induction you can think of and has tuned many of the DOB setups. His startup tune will probably be closer than your local shop's dyno tune.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the eaton's can make more power than your stock long block can handle.

fonz3482

Reaction score
If you can do the nuts and bolts, Lito can do your tuning remotely. He's been tuning 3v Mustangs for over a decade and is one of the best tuners for this motor anywhere. He's probably tuned every combination of forced induction you can think of and has tuned many of the DOB setups. His startup tune will probably be closer than your local shop's dyno tune.

This is good to know. I'm not looking to squeeze out every hp possible out of the setup and to push my stock engine with all stock internals but would like a tune to get some good safe hp. I'm hearing that you don't want to push anymore than 450-475hp out of the FI system or else you are driving a ticking time bomb.... I'm not sure if that spec is at the crank or rear wheels?? That be nice to know... Also when I put the DOB setup on will my stock clutch with 6000mi on it hold the power?? That is the next thing I'm unsure about!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you don't have 100% confidence in a speed shop and are unable to do any of the work yourself, you need to find a better speed shop. Evolution Performance near Philly is less than a day's tow away. There's also JPC near Baltimore (my personal choice). Either of those shops will get you squared away.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 450-475 for the stock engine is at the wheels but just be aware, anytime you up the power levels with FI you must accept that your engine can go at any time. It only takes one weak component for you engine to blow, so nothing is really safe. If you can handle the nuts and bolts of the install then, as stated, lito is the way to go for remote tuning. I would trust him over most local tuning shops.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My problem is there are only 2 shops in my area(Buffalo,NY) The one shop will only deal with what he wants to sell or tells you to pound salt ......

Who is this? Because I never want to do business with them. Is it Kennedy's?

There is a lack in tuning capability for Fords in general in Western NY. There are a couple guys that are good I hear. One in Webster, but I hear he specializes in the Fox and SN95 5.0 and 5.8's.

fonz3482

Reaction score
Who is this? Because I never want to do business with them. Is it Kennedy's?

There is a lack in tuning capability for Fords in general in Western NY. There are a couple guys that are good I hear. One in Webster, but I hear he specializes in the Fox and SN95 5.0 and 5.8's.

J&J speed shop and Kennedy's Dyno tuning is the only places I know of. J&J said the eaton blowers are no good and he suggested the On3 turbo, but when I asked him how much for the On3 turbo kit installed he said to research it on their website. So I researched it here and on the On3 site. I found out it be around $3000 for the kit and contacted both Kennedy's and J&J on it. Kennedy's told me that a supercharger was out of the question for $5k and the On3 turbo was something they wouldn't get involved with because you get what you pay for. I then asked J&J and he said he has never seen or installed an On3 setup or tuned one either and doesn't know what it take to get it installed. So basically I'd have to buy it on my own and hope I got all the right stuff and then hope he's not gonna whack me with a huge install and tuning bill. I know some people that have some nice stuff from Kennedy's but it seems like you better bring your bank account and be ready to empty it all there. J&J seems to deal mostly in chevy stuff so I figured they be a long shot.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like they dont know their ass from a hole in the ground.

DOB setup for 5k or less is well in reason, its a damn good kit for the $$ too. Do you have a second car to DD if the install causes hangups that delay finishing? if not get one, then start wrenching, its a super easy install, just some tedious things you have to make sure are done correctly, but same with nearly every other install on a car

fonz3482

Reaction score
sounds like they dont know their ass from a hole in the ground.

DOB setup for 5k or less is well in reason, its a damn good kit for the $$ too. Do you have a second car to DD if the install causes hangups that delay finishing? if not get one, then start wrenching, its a super easy install, just some tedious things you have to make sure are done correctly, but same with nearly every other install on a car

I have several cars to drive besides my mustang and DOB did send me the instructions and I think I'd have no problems doing the job If I'm left alone. I have a 2yr old little guy that wants to be with his dad in the garage at all times and my wife. They both can get needy at times and I get aggravated because I can't seem to get anything finished without interruption or having to stop and come back to the project several days later. So I have a call into an old friend I used to work with at the car dealer to see if he can allow me to do this job in his shop at home. If he is ok with it then I can trailer the car over there and Him and I can install a DOB kit uninterrupted. He still wrenches on cars full time, I haven't in 5yrs or so, so having him to help would be nice too. Can someone tell me if my stock clutch will hold the power of the DOB supercharger?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The stock clutch will be fine for now as long as you drive within reason and don't beat on it too much. Even if it only lasts 10-15K miles that's still plenty of time to get used to the car and better determine your replacement choices. I think you'll be fine for a couple years.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back