Cross threaded studs/lugs

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
So while my trans is being rebuilt I have been slowly working on my airlift install. Yesterday I went to remove my left front wheel. It took almost everything I had to remove all 5 lugs after they were "loose". Last time the car was driven was the Sunday before easter(drag racing). The wheels were removed that morning and torqued to 100 ft. Lbs. That is also the same day that my radiator support broke at the sway bar mount. I know that the front was lifting 3-5" while launching.
My question is has anyone ever had all 5 lugs/nuts cross thread from a hard launch? Obviously I already ordered new lugs/nuts for both sides of the front end.
Also nuts have always been installed/removed by hand.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
There's no logical reasoning why your lugs would crossthread after being torqued properly because of a hard launch.

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
I know. I'm just trying to figure out what could have caused the issue. Threaded on perfectly last time they were put on. I'm completely baffled at this point. It wasn't so much the launch I was concerned but the landing. I'm assuming broke the sway bar mount and possible lug issue.

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
Are they stock studs? How many times have you torqued them? If your changing them on a regular bases you might want to change to ARP studs.

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
Yes they are stock studs. Front wheels come off twice a yr mainly to check brakes and suspension components. I have seriously thought about arp studs I just can't find them in stock length.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back