For DRIFTERS!!!

Thinkkker

Reaction score
I knew Derrick was doing stuff, but didnt know he was building this sort of things. I still haven't been able to catch up with him.

To add something of substance, I have known Derrick for years, and seen his skills improve. He does some good work.

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
He has been building these for a while for other applications. Derrick has some pretty cool stuff at his shop right now. He does all the work on Aaron Loseys ls1 240sx. He also has his ls1 miata mid build up there. I just donated an e36 to the ls1 cause and its sitting up there as well..

this is what is done to my car so far:

level 7 knuckles
stripped interior (car weighs 3245 as of saturday)
8 point cage
bc coilovers
ch panhard bar
stock diff
stock engine
stock clutch
stock ebrake
stock almost everything lol

And my tire sponsor is just used factory take offs from local places.. Just get a proposal together and call around to service departments and make appointments. Just realize that you need to be as professional as possible. Dont show up unshaven in shorts saying "whats up bro."

Realize they have to pay to dispose of tires so anything you take will be a "donation" that they can write off. Obviously it cant be used on the street or resold. If you dont have the ability to take and USE at least 50 tires every two weeks dont bother even trying. Your wasting their time. I take a truck and trailer every week and get 50 tires. I then distribute them to all the local guys I know for practice days. It saves everyone a chunk of change. They dont last all day like a new dz101 would. But, they are free.

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
If anyone is serious about picking a pair of these up PM me. I will hook you up with the contact info of the rep.

Thanks

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
Okay guys.. I took some pics today of the parts.. here you go

BTW.. I have been using a 17x8.5 zero offset wheel with a 245 on it out front. It hasnt rubbed at all and works very well. You might get away with a plus 10mm offset 8.5 inch wide wheel but I wouldnt go any wider or lower offset.

Here is the amount of clearance with zero camber on the wheels above.
bed36280.jpg

822ad489.jpg

7332cf24.jpg

Shots of the parts

d7b8b389.jpg

3655577c.jpg

a12890a5.jpg

351cdc0e.jpg

347e56b2.jpg

7179d330.jpg

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
no, the rack still has limiters. The only parts modified were the knuckles and outer tie rods(shortened a small bit)

If you notice in the pics the wheel actually has alot of clearance. Its the gap between the tie rod and the control arm that limits our cars. If you had tubular lower front control arms or didnt mind a small amount of material taken off the arm you could get more. Thats probably something we will look into in the future.

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
To the road race question..

Cut knuckles act as a steering quickener..

To expand upon that:
On a stock vehicle (and this is all general of course) when you move the wheel half a turn to the right you would get say 20 degrees of wheel movement.
If you shortened the knuckle of the car with the same half of a turn you would get 40 degrees of wheel movement.

So, while road racing it would allow for easier driver input.. Just like going out and buying a quicker ratio steering rack.. So, when you are cornering, especially on complicated chicane sections, you would do less work for the same result. You would also be able to keep your hands planted on the same part of the wheel as opposed to shuffling them on more parts of the track.

And yes!! Drifting can be fun!!! its alot of fun :) I have never met someone who didnt enjoy it once they actually tried doing it..

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
So, while road racing it would allow for easier driver input.. Just like going out and buying a quicker ratio steering rack.. So, when you are cornering, especially on complicated chicane sections, you would do less work for the same result. You would also be able to keep your hands planted on the same part of the wheel as opposed to shuffling them on more parts of the track.

Not quite..steering effort would technically be increased since, by shortening the arm, you're reducing the leverage the steering rack has on the knuckle.

The only other place I'd see this as beneficial outside of drifting is autocross. For road racing it would make the car really twitchy at speed (do you really want fast steering at triple digit speeds?).

Also, has your friend who is making these run the modified knuckles through suspension analysis software or anything to check the effect on Ackerman? I'm not sure how much he's hacking off, but if it's not right, the front wheels are going to fight each other to some extent when in a turn..

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, he does research them. He just took his final in quantum mechanics yesterday if that says anything about the amount of mathmatics he is capable of. I could have just thrown something together at my shop but I trusted Derrick to do it for me. He takes the time to work out all the details and get it right the first time. He is not just "a friend with a welder"
His knuckles have been on Aaron Loseys ls1 240sx for years now and they work great.

Look up Losey vs Wang nopi vid for fun..

And your right, on paper it would make the car harder to turn and twitchier at speed..

But, in real life.. it doesnt.. it does exactly what I stated it does.. Our power steering can easily take the extra pressure without adding any extra driver input. If you had a manual rack it would probably effect it more. But, I have driven with and without them. I took my car up to 130 ish the other day with the knuckles and it felt planted the whole time. Not twitchy at all.

Also, just to put it out there.. I have driven scca solo, formula 2000, and a few other classes.. With some outlaw promod stuff thrown in as well.. I drift now because you get alot more seat time for alot less money.. Its also alot more fun.. I work at a chassis fab shop in Fort Worth where we build everything from bandy and legends cars to formula and gt cars.. I am not a novice who found something that made my car feel better and now I think its the wonder drug. I know this improves the s197 chassis from driving with and without it :)

If anyone would like to try these out that is in the Dallas/ftw area.. We have events every month.. Just check fabricatedmotorsports .com for the event schedule. If you come out I will let you ride along and feel it for yourself. :)

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
Ohh cool your with fabricated motorsports? I have been trying to come to your drift meets for a few months now; I really need more practice with my new car. But gas money and new tires after the fact is what has prevented me so far...

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
I post on Fabricated's forum. Its Aaron Loseys thing tho. He runs most of the drift events in texas.. He gave out like 15 k this year in prizes.. next year there will be even more.. and an actual points series.. :)

You should really try to make it out.. Its a blast to drive.. and No one cares if you are new or whatever.. Aaron, Derrick, Chelsea, or whoever else is there will hop in with you and give you some pointers.. where else can you drive all day for next to nothing and get pro level instruction?

I also have a hookup on used tires through cloudfactory motorsports. If you pm me I might be able to get you some spares to come play with :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back