S197 308 boss pushrod turbo swap

tubbedstangeater

forum member
Reaction score
I was suggested to post my build in this area. First off this forum is great!!

What started my journey was the purchase of an 06 gt that i eventually fell in love with.I found myself driving it more than my 91 gt. The 91 mustang setup I had went 9's and is extremely fast but lacked street manors.
py5yguse.jpg
sy9aqu3a.jpg

The gas milage was 18 mpg with a 3.27 gear and a c4 transmission. Not bad!! The chassis was stiff and it rode like crap. At the time of the build I was young and dumb and cut, tied frames and installed cages with a later addition of a minitub.

I started looking at the 197 body styles in 2010 and noticed the wheel well lips we're already rolled and the axles are 31 spline right off the rip . I Also noticed the sub frames on the s 197 were much better than the previous years.

I kicked the thought around about a chassis change for awhile. Then one day a water surveyor seen the 91 in the garage and said if i ever wanted to sell it call him. He followed up numerous times. So here I am torn that I love one vehicle but the other I love the power. I threw the idea around if I could buy a s197 used and cheap enough I would try to do a swap . Well that thought turn into reality when I seen a 2000.00 dollar 2005 coupe on Craigslist for sale. It had 85 thousand miles on it with a blown v6.

Specs are of the 91 : 308 boss forged, world windsor sr heads. Trick flow r , 60 lb fast injectors, c4 trans 3500 stall, holley hp efi setup, custom turbo setup that was proven 9.7s on 17psi, e camshaft, 80 mm accufab throttle body, holley dominator pump 12-1800 pump
ute2uhuj.jpg
e5azu3y5.jpg
umegavy3.jpg
azupu8y2.jpg

so far I stripped the 91 and sold the chassis.
umutazes.jpg
zy5ury7a.jpg

And also got the 05 stripped for a aje k member and a 2011 gt rearend install. Soon followed the engine bay prep to throw a quick coat of ppg red over it.
uhavuper.jpg
asyra8un.jpg
pu9a7yjy.jpg

This weekend I'm hoping for paint and to have the engine in the cradle to get driveshaft dimensions finalized.

Last edited:

tubbedstangeater

forum member
Reaction score
I had the 91 for 18 yrs. Needed to switch it up.plus it was gonna need a new paint job coming up. Not interested in that. New body just needs a bumper sprayed.

Last edited:

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Great build, except I really wish you had welded those rear axle tubes before you painted it. With the power you are making and high stall convertor, all you need is sticky tires and you will probably lose it.

tubbedstangeater

forum member
Reaction score
I'm gonna run drag radials. I will eventually weld it. From what I'm reading a jig is the appropriate thing to do if welded. I can have that done in the winter.

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to be interested to see how you resolve the proximity of the turbo to the pass-side frame, but looks good so far.

tubbedstangeater

forum member
Reaction score
The turbo plumbing won't be an issue. I always find some trick up my sleeve. Last day off today then work.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back