Big A$$ Heat Exchangers Are Almost Here

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Well after 7 years and a billion different heat exchanger/pump combinations tested we’ve finally decided to bring one to market for the S197. And we have also seen what everyone else has come out with which lets us use that as a yardstick. What is the point of bringing one out if it won’t be the best amirite?

Well here is the main unit. It’s huge! It’s the biggest HE you will get in a S197 without cutting the front of the car up.

Features/specs:

-The FUNCTIONAL core volume is 990cu in. The biggest aftermarket one available by a massive 25.8% margin.

-The FUNCTIONAL core “Face” or frontal area is 396sq in. The biggest aftermarket one available by a massive 25.8%.

-Triple pass

-1.25” AN O-Ring fittings (female) so it can be run with hose sizes anywhere from .75”-1.25”.

-100% bolt on.

-Optional 16” fan (moves more air than two 10” or 11” fans)

-Optional “Fencing”. The biggest issue with heat exchangers is that a lot of the air coming through the grill(s) simply passes around them opposed to going through. By fencing the HE you force the air through the HE opposed to letting it pass around the sides. In testing we see a 25% decrease in water temps vs ambient. For example. It’s a 80deg day and you have 100deg water temps with a non fenced HE. On the same day with the same HE but fenced we see 95deg water temps. That doesn’t sound like much, but it’s huge. A fan doesn’t produce anything near those results unless the car is moving at under 15mph. And of course the fencing works better the faster you go where fans don’t do a thing above 15mph.

Pricing/Options:

They will be priced with the competition at about $800.

The fencing will be optional because no one else offers it in their pricing so it’s an “extra”. It won’t be very expensive though. I’m guessing $50.

I’m making the fan optional just because I’m not a big fan…..of fans. I think they’re useless unless you buried in traffic a lot (under 15mph) and they actually decrease cooling above 15mph. But people love their fans so they will be an option. And not huge money. Maybe $65-75????

There will be a group buy when they launch. And even more favorable pricing for current Department Of Boost customers. I’m hoping to launch mid summer.

There will also be an aluminum fan shroud mounted degas tank with 1.25” AN O-Ring fittings (female) so it can be run with hose sizes anywhere from .75”-1.25”. And hose kits will be available too so if you want to “go big” with your entire system that’s an option.

Here are some specs of other HE’s out there for comparison:

The Leading/Popular Triple Pass/Dual 11” Fan HE

Frontal Area: 294 sq in
Core Volume: 735 cu in

The Leading/Popular Dual Pass/Dual 10” Fan HE

Frontal Area: 256 sq in
Core Volume: 320 cu in

The Leading/Popular Dual Pass/No Fan HE

Frontal Area: 202 sq in
Core Volume: 405 cu in

OEM/Stock 13’ GT500 HE

Frontal Area: 270 sq in
Core Volume: 845 cu in

OEM/Stock 07-09’ GT500 HE

Frontal Area: 135 sq in
Core Volume: 135 cu in

Here are some pics of it sitting next to a 13’ GT500 HE:

IMG_1976_zpszcwhssic.jpg

IMG_1977_zpsdlzcocyg.jpg

6c028112-4309-4ce2-b361-af2cfe053587_zpsrrdz7vws.jpg

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Will this come configured to mount up in place of stock GT500 HE's? Or will the hosing/fittings all need to be procured by the user?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Will this come configured to mount up in place of stock GT500 HE's? Or will the hosing/fittings all need to be procured by the user?

I'm going to put GT500 "jumper" hose kits together for you guys so it's a bolt on.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
If there will also be a group buy on the gt450 stage one kits then I so in!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Where's that hopped up Lingenfelter-like inter cooler pump you were going to market?

Had to back burner that. The ordering/stocking levels I needed to maintain to be a dealer were way too high. I need to put that capital toward DOB products.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
ETA on this Heat exchanger? Is it mid summer yet?lol

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Any updates on this Jason?

I've had a pile of issues this summer. Personal issues, health problems, working capital (the lack of) and my dog was diagnosed with congestive heart failure which is breaking my heart and taking up a lot of time with care. Basically a horrible summer/fall.

I haven't gotten anything done aside from keeping the ship afloat. I'm struggling to get some progress done right now though. I have a car in house that I'm going to be using for the rest of the HE prototype work that needs to be done pretty soon. So the HE will be getting done, this car needs to leave with it on it.

I'm really hoping to start taking orders by Feb 1st.

Sorry guys, I don't like operating like this.

Grover

forum member
Reaction score
Do what you gotta do mate, family first. Always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Just checking in, hope things are going better.
Love to get any word of any progress with this part.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back