antisquat %, IC height & length discussion - S197 mustang

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
the control arm will be at an angle depending on where you have it installed on relocation brackets. take a plumb bob at each bolt and mark the spot on the floor front/rear. measure the distance on the floor (it will be a fraction of an inch shorter than the actual control arm length).

pythagorean.jpg

I could not use a plumb bob at the upper rear mounting hole. Since it's on top of the axle the plumb bob won't hit the ground.

Now what? Am I missing something obvious?

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
I could not use a plumb bob at the upper rear mounting hole. Since it's on top of the axle the plumb bob won't hit the ground.

Now what? Am I missing something obvious?

to measure the rear UCA bolt height, I put a wrench on it and used that as a guide, and I estimated as best I could the position of the rear UCA bolt on the bottom of the pumpkin and dropped a plumb bob from there to get the mark on the floor:

S197_axle_speedconcepts02.jpg

S197_axle_speedconcepts01.jpg

it'll get you close

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so on a smaller tire a couple months ago this is what was happening:

The car would hook great the first 20-30 feet, then it would break loose. I went back to a 10.5W and all is fixed.

So generally, what is happening if a car hooks hard first, but then spins 20-30 feet out? To much anti-squat?

Does your UCA mount on your 9" sit at the same height as it did on the 8.8? I need to do some measurements on mine but I think that will throw it off a bit from what others are doing. I'm thinking my UCA sits a bit higher in the rear so I'll have to take that into account when setting the front uca location. Hoping this thread fills with some good numbers from people including their 60, what tire they are running, and manual or auto along with their measurements. I have no idea where to start on mine so I was going to shoot for adjusting to what a stock mustang is and then going from there.

Good thread

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
Antisquat %: 34.01
IC length: 141.68
IC height: 9.83
springs front: Afco150#
springs rear: stock V6
airbag: NO
ride height front: 30" (measured from floor to top of fenderwell arch)
ride height rear: 32.25"
tire dia front: 26"
tire dia rear: 28
strut type front: QA1 single adjustable
strut type rear: Afco double adjustable
wheelbase: 107.1"
center gravity: 22" (crankshaft bolt + 6")
LCA relocation brackets: no
LCA position: n/a
UCA bracket: YES,BMR
UCA position: Lower hole
pinion angle: -1.5deg
Weight rear tires W/driver 1326
Weight front tires W/driver 1569

best ever 60' 1.70 on 26" BFG's DR. 1.78's are normal as well as tire spin on initial take off.

I have been beating myself up trying to get this thing to hook consistently let alone duplicate the 1.70 60'. Changed rear shocks and front springs last week. Have BMR relocation brackets and Afco 125# rear springs coming. I am assuming the ride height will change dramatically in the rear with the 14" 125# springs, I will lower the front as well.

On a side note those damn BMR brackets weigh 11 pounds according to UPS tracking ;) Hopefully the springs are less than the stockers.

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That rear ride height is pretty high, isn't it? Mine is 30" with a 29.5 tire.

So we have some videos posted above on the suspension. What about some slow motion launch vids?

Take a look at this, any thoughts? Best 60' on this day was a 1.31. Should be in the mid 1.2Xs.

The slo mo 60' clips start at 45 seconds. Last pass was all screwed up.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
Good thread. Quick question though is there a goal or standard of AS% that should be met? Or does the amount of AS differ from car to car?

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
That rear ride height is pretty high, isn't it? Mine is 30" with a 29.5 tire.

So we have some videos posted above on the suspension. What about some slow motion launch vids?

Take a look at this, any thoughts? Best 60' on this day was a 1.31. Should be in the mid 1.2Xs.

The slo mo 60' clips start at 45 seconds. Last pass was all screwed up.

Yes it's sits high in the rear.

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
I changed my rear springs, lowered the front ride height, and installed BMR relocation brackets. Note I took ride height measurements from the bottom of the wheel arch this time. i am going to the track tonight, I will edit this post with 60' time later on.

Antisquat %: 106.48
IC length: 67.61
IC height: 14.28
springs front: Afco 14"150#
springs rear: Afco 14"125#
airbag: NO
ride height front: 27-1/2" (measured from floor to bottom of fenderwell arch)
ride height rear: 30-3/16
tire dia front: 26"
tire dia rear: 28
strut type front: QA1 single adjustable
strut type rear: Afco double adjustable
wheelbase: 107.1"
center gravity: 21-1/4" (crankshaft bolt + 6")
LCA relocation brackets: BMR
LCA position: Top
UCA bracket: YES,BMR
UCA position: Lower hole
pinion angle: -1.0deg
Weight rear tires W/driver 1340
Weight front tires W/driver 1558

Best 60' so far 1.75

y7u3y2a8.jpg

sysu5ysu.jpg

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would have thought with a manual you would want more then -1 on the pinion angle.

What springs did you have before when you switched to the 125# springs for the rear? I see V6 springs, but I don't know the # rating. Those Afco DA shocks are nice, what settings do you have on them for compression / extension?

Last edited:

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
I have an auto trans, all my joints are rod end. So I am thinking -1 should be ok. I don't know what the rate of theV6 springs are. Eric at Afco recommended the springs rates front and rear. I may get a 12" 125# spring and the steeda coil over adjusters to get the rear a little lower. As far as shock adjustment starting 50% on rebound and 70% compression. Still messing with tire pressure (hoosier drag radial) as well.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Antisquat %: 34.01
IC length: 141.68
IC height: 9.83

On a side note those damn BMR brackets weigh 11 pounds according to UPS tracking ;) Hopefully the springs are less than the stockers.

So you went from 34% to 106%.....that is going to make a huge difference. Even if it does not show it on the slip (sixty).....it will make a big difference, you may have to make some adjustments elsewhere.

I would be VERY surprised if you didn't destroy your old sixty-foot best.

As for the brackets, yeah, they are heavy. You get what you pay for, literally. :idea:

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
Best 60' time tonight was a 1.75. Track was marginal I would say. Worst 60' was 1.79, But making shock and tire pressure adjustments actually made a difference. But the best reward tonight was being able to bring up the rpm with the foot brake (that was the 1.75 pass) . I have always left off idle. In the past if I tried to bring up the rpm it would blow the tires off. Someone oiled the left lane down and then drove through the right lane as well, so I called it a night. I will need to prefect leaving off the brake but I think it's going to work very well.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Oh ok. Auto with solid bushings -1 should be good.

+1 on the -1. :)

Best 60' time tonight was a 1.75. Track was marginal I would say. Worst 60' was 1.79, But making shock and tire pressure adjustments actually made a difference. But the best reward tonight was being able to bring up the rpm with the foot brake (that was the 1.75 pass) . I have always left off idle. In the past if I tried to bring up the rpm it would blow the tires off. Someone oiled the left lane down and then drove through the right lane as well, so I called it a night. I will need to prefect leaving off the brake but I think it's going to work very well.

Very solid for your power level. A two step may be in your future. ;)

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lots of great info in here. Lets keep this thread going. Anybody got any stats to add?

daveyboy

forum member
Reaction score

What rpm did you leave at?

chrish5517

forum member
Reaction score
this is completely off subject, sorry, but my dad and Kevin Slaby(owner of baseline) went to school together back in the day, we ended up owning his 67 chevelle for while. Also i have a video somewhere of this guy going to launch his car at Kearney Raceway and not remembering it was in reverse. Launched the car at like 5000 and nearly took out the guy doing a burnout behind him. All while wearing white jean pants... haha just thought i would share

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back