S197 Chassis Coyote Swap Endurance Race Build/Blog

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you running a "sandwich" adapter for the cooler, or did you completely relocate the filter? Also, how much extra oil does that cooler hold? (I.e., if you used 8 quarts before, how many quarts do you now add to fill up the motor?)

the5

Reaction score
Are you running a "sandwich" adapter for the cooler, or did you completely relocate the filter? Also, how much extra oil does that cooler hold? (I.e., if you used 8 quarts before, how many quarts do you now add to fill up the motor?)

Im just running the sandwich adapter, About 1-1.5 Quarts more. But Only when the cooler is empty.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not my car, but I like this thread, sooo... Yes. The Mishimoto has a t-stat in the sandwich plate. I'm running one on my '05 GT - 5.3L. The '10-'14 kit fits with a little messaging of the mounting bracket. I like the t-stat, it allows oil temps to come up to operating temp quicker, which is important since I drive my car on street more than on track. Come to think of it, the OP's ride doesn't really need the t-stat, so I'll shut up now.

the5

Reaction score
BBY Racing Takes 1st in class, and 2nd Overall in SCCA Halloween 8 hr Enduro at Virginia International Raceway!

I didnt think we could end off the season better than the last race but we made it happen! We dicided to venture to our first SCCA endurance race. Since it was a last minute decision we ran the race with only 2 drivers - Eric and Alex Rockwell. No pit crew, and no off track support. Great father/son effort against some high level professional competition. Many Imsa, Continental Series, and Pirelli World Challenge Teams were left in the dust! Beating them was more satisfying than we care to admit!

1st place was 1.5 laps ahead,and if we had more pit and paddock help, we could have easily have won. 4 pit stops X 4.5 min each vs. their 2.5 min stops = .5 lap win. Oh well, next time we will plan a little further in advance. Still very happy with our finish and with our 2016 season.

The new Canards worked great and could defiantly feel the improved the front end grip in the Esses. We still have a few tricks up our sleeve for 2017!

The fastest lap I ran was a 2:10.85, Mind you we were also on 275 200tw Street tires, and the car had more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7wpPGk2r2Q

the5

Reaction score
Loaded up for Road Atlanta This weekend!
As Far as winter mods for the car we stepped up to a 315 Falken Tire all around and an AJ Hartman Spoiler!
Wish us luck and Check the results live on Race Monitor.

16602602_1484524591641391_2579928570479613924_n_zpsmvcrofny.jpg

Also had to snap a picture of the R and Miata

16299080_1478101868950330_7017099474189234149_n_zpskf7ari8u.jpg

Last edited:

the5

Reaction score
Just realized I never posted an update after Road Atlanta Here!
We took 2nd in a field of 43 cars. Beat professional race teams and really fast cars in the highest class of the top armature endurance race series in US. On Sunday we started in P2 and took the green flag on the front row. We had never been to Road Atlanta Before and only had Qualifying to learn the track on Friday.

Saturday we were Running P3 with about an hour to go when the alternator blew. This is because we ran the 96-10 style alternator to accommodate the power steering in 05-10 location. Luckily I knew this might be an issue so I brought a spare 96-10 alternator. A quick fix by Eric Rockwell was able to get us back on track with Dave Thoman at the wheel and keep P3 for the day.

To make sure this didnt happen on Sunday I spent Saturday night swappingto the Boss 302R Alternator kit and Power steering bracketry which I also thought ahead to pack as a spare.This involved running all new power steering lines and re doing the alternator main wire. Finished the job at 12:30 Am after racing all day and was back up at 6 Am to race Sunday.

Sunday after our P3 finish Led to us starting on the front row as the P2 car was unable to be fixed in time for the race start. Sunday was a bittersweet day as Lori's engine blew up in a spectacular fashion on front straight with 50 min left in a 18hr race. By that time we were well ahead of 3rd place team. Eric's old engine served us well and delivered podium performance as a goodbye.

We will be back for the Glen, Lori will be retired for now and the new Boss 302R will come out and play!

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Any idea what caused the 'Yote to pop? From the vid, you weren't at max-Q...

the5

Reaction score
Fresh on the heels of Road Atlanta with AER, we are getting our new Boss 302R ready to race at Watkins Glen with AER April 22-23.

So Thursday Night As Im driving home from school I see that there is a WRL event happening at Road Atlanta. I jokingly text my dad that if we left right now that we would make it. To my surprise he texts me back asking for more details. At this point I see that he is serious about going! He gets home we discuss for about 30 mins and decide F it you only live once and decide to make the 12 Hour Haul each way back to Road Atlanta for the Race on Saturday. We prep the car until 12 AM Thursday night and set our alarm for 6 am.

We get to RA about 9 Pm on Friday night and go to sleep, Luckily the race runs from 12pm to 8 Pm so we get to sleep in a little. I would be lying if I told you the car wasnt still being finished as we rolled into staging! But The car was ready just in time!

As far as strategy there was only my Dad and Myself as drivers, So we decided that we would Each drive 4 Hours and only have 1 Driver change to save time. So we Iron-maned each our 4 hour Stints and we were able to WIN!

We came First Overall out of 42 Cars leading the field by 6 laps at the end! I guess you could say the test day went Well :) We are now prepping the car for Watkins Glen this weekend!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
That's an enviable habit you guys seem to have picked up . . . last-minute decisions to enter, just the two of you driving, and finishing at the top. Wow.

Norm

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
They mentioned in a previous post about putting the finishing touches on a Boss 302R

Photos of the blue Mustang w/Tiger Racing hood in their most recent post

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow that is epic man. Everyone here is super jealous.....can't you tell? You should have 10x the replies to this thread. It is really good. Let's hear about that 302R.

Rm

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back