How screwed might I be?

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
So I noticed a small leak on my garage floor, smelt it and determined it to be coolant. Upon further investigation, I found my coolant to be a little low... okay it was alarmingly low.
3225de734b845f1fd3d383998c1f3a43.jpg

Haven't gotten to look more in the reserve tank to see what the milkyness is, but i'm not looking forward to finding the answer. I flushed/changed my coolant at 107k (15k ago) can't seem to see the leak yet. What could this be? While I dont want it to be a major engine issue, I wouldnt mind having a reason to be swapping the ol v6 out for a nice v8 upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
check the res, if its not milky could be the plastic thermostat housing cracked?

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
I'll inspect it more, but it was changed 15k miles ago as well

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I second Wes. Its really common for the thermostat housing to crack on the 4.0 because its plastic.

JimC

Reaction score
Even if you replaced it 15,000 miles ago, the thermostat housing could have split already. Just a crap shoot how long one lasts. On my 2006 the original lasted 190,000 miles. But a friend had to replace his at 45,000 miles, then again at 60,000 miles.

Anytime you lose coolant with the 4.0 the first place to check is the thermostat housing.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
That looks like a combination of rust and mixing incompatible coolants to me.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
That looks like a combination of rust and mixing incompatible coolants to me.

There was never any mixing of coolants. Only used one brand. Flushed it fairly well too. Don't think its rust, seems more like oil to me and everyone else

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Along with the compression test, do a leak down test. The combination of both will be very insightful as to any issues.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Another thing comes to mind, did you use well water for the coolant flush?
If so, you could have introduced solids into the coolant system which can produce the sludge you're seeing.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Another thing comes to mind, did you use well water for the coolant flush?
If so, you could have introduced solids into the coolant system which can produce the sludge you're seeing.

I used water from my hose in a bucket and flushed it like that. Not on well water though

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
A real easy way to check for a blown head gasket would be to have a block test done, its fool proof and straight to the point.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
I think i'll do a complete flush of the coolant first. Last time I "flushed" it I only really cleared out some of the front piping and up to the thermostat housing. Cousin thinks it was sludge that wasnt flushed out that made its way up. So once I do a legimate flush, if the sludge comes back, then I have to look deeper. Not as sure on it being a head gasket. Especially with as little sludge thats come through, and how theres no pressure or smoke/steam outta the oil fill. Also no coolant in the oil.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I think i'll do a complete flush of the coolant first. Last time I "flushed" it I only really cleared out some of the front piping and up to the thermostat housing. Cousin thinks it was sludge that wasnt flushed out that made its way up. So once I do a legimate flush, if the sludge comes back, then I have to look deeper. Not as sure on it being a head gasket. Especially with as little sludge thats come through, and how theres no pressure or smoke/steam outta the oil fill. Also no coolant in the oil.

There doesn't have to be coolant in the oil for a head gasket to be blown. It's a cheap test to rule out the worst if you really do suspect oil in the coolant.
Sludge doesn't develop in cars for no reason. You would have to run the coolant low for an extended time, have oil getting in, or mix incompatible coolants. Considering you recently flushed I think it's more reason to do the block test. If it's an auto there is the chance the ATF oil cooler is leaking into the radiator.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Id be surprised if it was a head gasket. Only 122k miles. Its an auto, so theres definitely a possibility of it coming through the radiator. How much does the test cost?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back