Upgrade sway bars?

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced the following suspension parts on my 2014 GT/CS convertible. It's a street car, just looking to maximize the handling characteristics.

BMR LCAs poly/poly
BMR relo brackets
BMR panhard bar
BMR panhard brace
BMR lowering springs
BMR radiator brace
SR Struts and shocks
OEM strut mounts

I'm wondering if replacing the front and rear sway bars will be a good upgrade and compliment the parts already installed. Currently looking at the BMR and Eibach sway bar kits.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
It will, your build is the same as mine, except I have str t struts and shocks. I have the front and rear sways from BMR. The fit and finish is top notch, and the car handles incredibly well.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
You might also consider Sam Strano's bars (made by Hellwig IIRC).

Don't just look for the biggest diameter bars and do get a kit that offers adjustability in both bars. Dialing the understeer/oversteer balance in to suit you is more important than eliminating the last fraction of a degree of roll by throwing the stiffest bars you can find on there. Especially in street driving, especially with a convertible, where the matter of diminishing returns shows up sooner.

You haven't mentioned either wheels or tires yet, but they're big pieces in the handling puzzle. And if crisp cornering response and precise steering is what you're seeking, the best answer here is not as simple as fitting the largest possible tire size on your existing wheels.

Norm

07Alloy

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed Strano swaybars. They came with Hellwig instructions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like the rear sway bar by Strano and BMR require the OEM braces be removed (convertible). Eibach rear sway bar fits with OEM braces left in place. What's everyone's thoughts on removing the OEM bracing on the convertible?

forum member
Reaction score
I would skip the SR shocks and pony up for Koni or Bilstein.

edit: Never mind, I thought OP was asking what parts to buy.

Last edited:

TheSuit

VISIONARY
Reaction score
Looks like the rear sway bar by Strano and BMR require the OEM braces be removed (convertible). Eibach rear sway bar fits with OEM braces left in place. What's everyone's thoughts on removing the OEM bracing on the convertible?

Yes, read carefully when choosing an option because not all of them fit with the factory bracing bars. Before you order any, confirm with the vendor in writing that they will fit without the removal of the brace bars.

Me personally, I ensured that when swapping them out I went with one that would permit me to retain the factory bracing bars.

Oh, and from my experience it was a great addition and firmed up the suspension on my vert.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced the following suspension parts on my 2014 GT/CS convertible. It's a street car, just looking to maximize the handling characteristics.

BMR LCAs poly/poly
BMR relo brackets
BMR panhard bar
BMR panhard brace
BMR lowering springs
BMR radiator brace
SR Struts and shocks
OEM strut mounts

I'm wondering if replacing the front and rear sway bars will be a good upgrade and compliment the parts already installed. Currently looking at the BMR and Eibach sway bar kits.

Just curious on your view on the SR Shocks and struts? Need cheap replacements. Read reviews but I'd prefer someone on here over an AM review lol

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
My 14 vert rides better than my 07 vert did that had Eibach springs and Strange struts / shocks.

I'm not sure the better ride on my 14 is due to the SR struts/ shocks or the BMR springs. Might be the combination of both.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
My 14 vert rides better than my 07 vert did that had Eibach springs and Strange struts / shocks.

I'm not sure the better ride on my 14 is due to the SR struts/ shocks or the BMR springs. Might be the combination of both.
Likely the springs, my friend has eibach and I have bmr there is a stark difference in firmness, he's actually planning to swap out for the BMR for a more supple ride.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you want something that will break.

Please explain? I run Whiteline bars front and back, beat the snot out of them every chance I get and never one issue. As a matter of fact 90% of my suspension is Whiteline and not one issue with any of it. Jump curbs, rough tracks and some off-track excursions plus street use from time to time.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Yeah, if you want something that will break.

Please explain? I run Whiteline bars front and back, beat the snot out of them every chance I get and never one issue. As a matter of fact 90% of my suspension is Whiteline and not one issue with any of it. Jump curbs, rough tracks and some off-track excursions plus street use from time to time.

The only issue I heard of Whiteline having was their "Version 1" UCA. They quickly redesigned it and shipped out replacements to owners for free, and the "Version 2" was MUCH beefier. Never had an issue with their sway bars.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only issue I heard of Whiteline having was their "Version 1" UCA. They quickly redesigned it and shipped out replacements to owners for free, and the "Version 2" was MUCH beefier. Never had an issue with their sway bars.

Their first UCA failed, as you said.

There have been failures of their watts link, some documented on this forum.

I have personally had a set of their LCAs fail when the jam nut stripped, causing the arm to change length.

I have also had their rear sway bar fail.

Whiteline is garbage.

EDIT: Here is a failed bolt from my rear Whiteline sway bar. Whiteline refused to replace it even when I offered to pay for the part.

20160711_195521.jpg

Fortunately, McMaster Carr was able to ship me stronger bolts overnight.

Last edited:

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Their first UCA failed, as you said.

There have been failures of their watts link, some documented on this forum.

I have personally had a set of their LCAs fail when the jam nut stripped, causing the arm to change length.

I have also had their rear sway bar fail.

Whiteline is garbage.

EDIT: Here is a failed bolt from my rear Whiteline sway bar. Whiteline refused to replace it even when I offered to pay for the part.

20160711_195521.jpg

Fortunately, McMaster Carr was able to ship me stronger bolts overnight.

Yes their Ver1 UCA was garbage but as stated they were redesigned and shipped to customers for free. Have only heard of 1 or 2 issues with the watts and Whiteline covered them. As for your issue not sure what happened but just because a U bolt fails does not mean their parts are junk. Every MFG has issues. If we wanted to be that way about all MFG we could say the same about BMR due to their failures with the A arms and the engine cradles but as with all MFG (Whiteline and BMR included) they step up, fix their issues and move forward. How did you strip the LCA? Have never heard of this happening with any LCA. Are you torqueing these threads to much to keep having thread issues? Not sure who you talked to about your issues but any issues I have had including setup Whiteline has always been their to answer questions and give advice. Most GTA events you have Whiteline reps their to offer advice and take feedback. Never one issue with customer service or parts. As far as their bars they are easly adjustable especially the rear due to how it is mounted and it gives room for bigger tires on the rear for more traction and cornering especially if you use the Cortex cambered rearend.

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
As long as you keep it torqued to spec, and maintain it, you should not have issues out of the LCA, Watts, or Sways. Their watts kit was a beast.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As long as you keep it torqued to spec, and maintain it, you should not have issues out of the LCA, Watts, or Sways. Their watts kit was a beast.

If by "beast," you mean "unsafe and failure-prone," then yes.

And "torqued to spec"? Find me some torque specs in Whiteline instructions. You won't.

And sure, you can argue that it was "just a bolt." (Except I've had bolts fail on both the LCA jam nuts and the sway bar.) But Whiteline's lack of customer support makes it even worse.

Fuck Whiteline.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back