Door Panel Leather Sagging - **FIX**

crummyarchitect

Reaction score
I finally got around to this yesterday, and everything turned out OK. I followed the OP’s write up, but I wanted to throw in a couple issues I encountered. I found that the paddin left on the door was going to require some extra effort to remove, I used a dish towel (something a little more abrasive than a microfiber cloth) and used some vigorous rubbing to remove it. I also didn’t put a second coat of contact cement on the leather, and I think that may have caused me some issues with running out air pockets. I kept having to check up on the door panel and notice the leather kept coming loose and I needed to continue to rub out air pockets over the next couple hours. I think the second coat on the leather would have alleviated this problem. But after overnight it appears to have stayed attached (the car does smell like contact cement though). All in all a pretty easy fix.

P.S. like the OP I purchased my supplies from Wally World, and as with the change in times so I have the prices. Got the same contact cement and it runs about $6.50 now. But I picked up a variety 12 pack of those brushes for $1.50. I now have plenty to do the passenger side when the time comes (there’s enough contact cement left over to do about 100 door panels – LOL).

slick grey

Reaction score
^ ran into the same issues as you did. It was a little hard to get the padding off. Also did the same this as you only did one coat and it fell back down so re did it with two and all seems fine. It does have a funny smell inside this any eta of how long it takes to wear off? All in all happy with the out come better then it hanging down and cheaper then the 150.00 a door I got quoted. Thank you op

Diabolical!

Zapp Rowsdower
Reaction score
I used this same method but found that taking a few extra minutes to remove the door panel was well worth the effort.

blackblackblack

forum member
Reaction score
the spray for headliners is the proper way to do it. $150 for a panel seems a little steep. well, if people are completely changing out stuff and recoloring up we may charge $100 or so. but for just a repair. hmmm....

Lee Yoder

Reaction score
Planned for this thursday or friday for me, ridin' ghetto with painters tape holding it up now:crazy:!

Later,

06VistaStanger

Reaction score
Don't waste time with the spray tried it and they fell off again in a few weeks, This is tried and truth method here I have done it on my car over a year ago and several of my friends cars and all are still holding strong.

Infamous05

forum member
Reaction score
Did this last year on my stang same material and this summer the panel is coming right back off. Only thing I can think of is that I didn't take the time to let it dry all the way. Going to redo it this weekend and allow the 15 minutes between coats and application.

0NF1R

ROUSHCHARGED!!!
Reaction score
The vehicle that received this repair in the very first post of this thread still has intact door panels...it has been appx 3 years....

For those preparing to do this repair on your vehicles, take the time to do it right and the odds will be in your favor!

g0t5

Reaction score
Thanks a lot this worked for me seems to be holding strong its only been 3 weeks. Upholstery shop wanted to just replace with "velvet"

tleem00

Reaction score
Went with the quick fix spray adhesive. When I get the time I will be doing it the right way. Thanks for the walk thru op

Lee Yoder

Reaction score
I have done my drivers side door....looks great. I did use my wife's Pampered Chef pastry roller to ensure that there was solid contact.

Later,
Lee

Last edited:

SolarWar

forum member
Reaction score
Went with the quick fix spray adhesive. When I get the time I will be doing it the right way. Thanks for the walk thru op

I did this on mine and I thought all was good. It started peeling again once it got hot out. Ill be doing this over the rright way.

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am doing this, but the guy who did it before me screwed up the leather, so I am ordering new material. If you wanted to know the fabric number it is L7485. You can order from the Miami Corporation for about 26 dollars a yard. Just thought I would share this with you all.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score

Are the people who's panels are failing after this fix following the OP's instructions to the letter? As in remove all existing foam material, apply coat and wait 15 minutes, add a second coat, apply coat to panel material AND panel, etc...?

As extra insurance of success, I would add the following.

Remove the panel and let it dry for a few days in an A/C condition. A/C is less humid than the air outside and will alow a much quicker drying time. At least it is here and Houston. Also, by leaving the panel on the car, gravity is fighting against you.

Second,

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back