August 2011 COTM: Silverpoison

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Eduardowriteup1.jpg

AUGUST 2011 CAR OF THE MONTH: EDUARDO MELGAR'S MUSTANG GT​

This month we have another(?!) twin turbo mustang. Eduardo has gone through many challenges through the years, but now he has a fast and good running mustang that is a monster at the track. Like most of us, Eduardo has gone through many stages of modifying the mustang before ending up with what you see here. What many of you do not know is Eduardo's first S197 Mustang was actually silver, which is where his screen name "Silverpoison" comes from. However tradegy struck when his car crashed, and Eduardo had to start all over. I, of course, can identify directly with this, as I went through the exact same thing. That first pass you do at the track after a crash is really petrifying and it takes alot of courage to strap back in and break through that mental barrier---and Eduardo has done so in a big way. Lets take a closer look at this twin turbo mustang.

EngineEduardo.jpg

The engine in this beast is a 281 cid 3V with J&E pistons, cobra crank, and manley rods. While the bottom end of the engine is very stout, the heads and cams are surprisingly stock. At the heart of this engine, however, is the THP twin turbo utilizing two 57mm turbos, an AMS 1000 that is C02 controlled, a JPC race intake manifold, along with an Accufab single blade throttle body. A 5 gallon fuel cell with RC 75lb injectors, Metco fuel rails, and a fore regulator, deliver the fuel. A Big Stuff 3 stand alone computer executes the tune. Greg at Racers Edge Tuning (RET) in Downy, CA, did the engine tuning, and while the power was impressive, Eduardo doesn't care about those numbers. No--the only numbers Eduardo cares about is the ET, and so far the car has turned a 6.30 @ 112 mph in the 1/8th mile. 6.40 is accepted as the 9.99 equivalent 1/4 mile ET so a 6.30 could easily be a 9.7X with this turbo car. So far in the 1/4 mile, the car has turned a 9.99 @ 134.91 mph while lifting.

Interior2.jpg

Hey Eduardo, you forgot to change out the steering wheel.....:poke:

Interior1.jpg

The interior is all business with a 10 point cage certified for up to a 8.50 ET. A G-Force 5 point harness keeps Ed in the stock seat while he monitors his Raptor shift light and Autometer Phantom II Tach and Speedometer. You can see the C02 tank mounted off of the roll cage on the passenger side.

EduardoWriteup2.jpg

Power from the engine goes to a Turbo 400 transmission equipped with a transbrake from Mike's Transmission, in Lancaster, CA. A one piece steel driveshaft from Ed's Speed Shop tranmmits the power to the 8.8 rearend. The 8.8 has 9 inch ends to avoid running c-clip eliminators, and Ed also uses a spool to make sure power gets to both of the M/T slicks. To cut 1.41 60 foot times, Eduardo uses Metco upper and lower control arms along with a stronger Metco upper mount and relocation brackets that have been welded into place. Tokico shocks and struts, along with Cobra Jet springs, get the power to the ground. Strange front and rear brakes bring the car to a stop.

MOD LIST:

Engine:

JE -17 dish pistons, rings and spiral locks
Cobra crank
Manley billet rods
Stock Heads and Cams
Meziere electric water pump
JPC Intake Manifold
Accufab Single Blade T/B
SFI Dampner

Power adder:

THP twin turbo kit
57mm Journal Bearing Turbo’s
AMS 1000 with CO2
NX Nitrous Kit (Not used yet)
NOS Widow Switch
Tuning done by Racers Edge Tuning
Dyno #’s….. I don’t Care….

Fuel System:

Trunk Mounted Aluminum Fuel Cell
RC #75 Injectors
Metco Fuel Rails
FORE Regulator
Custom Done by Racers Edge Tuning

Exhaust:

Custom H Pipe
Borla Mufflers
Dumps

Drivetrain:

Mike’s Transmissions Built TH400 with Trans Brake
Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter
Chilsead Performance Ice Trans Cooler
RET Custom Cross member
Ed’s Speed Shop one piece steel driveshaft
Strange Built 8.8 with 9 inch ends
Strange Spool

Suspension:

Tokico shocks and struts
Cobra Jet Springs
METCO upper Control Arm
METCO upper Control Arm Mount
METCO Biller LCA’s with welded relocation Brackets
Strange Front and Rear Brakes

Wheels and tires:

Bogart Custom GT Wheels
Good Year 29x12 Slicks or MT 28x10.5 ET Drags

Miscellaneous:

Phantom II Tach
Phantom II Speedometer
Raptor Shift Light
Steeda Hood
Custom 10 Point cage
G-force 5 point harness
BMR K-Member
BMR Radiator Support
Big Stuff 3 Stand Alone Computer

IMAG0071.jpg

In Eduardo's own words:

My name is Eduardo Melgar and I am 31 years old. I was born in Los Angeles, raised in Guatemala since I was 3, and I came back to the United States in 2000. I have a Degree in Criminal Justice and work for the Department of Homeland Security since September of 2002 here in Los Angeles.

I started in the mustang world back in September 2004 when I purchased my first s197, that’s where my nickname came from “Silverpoison” (it was a silver mustang obviously). I did several mods to that car and loved so much that I had to get another s197 since I got in an accident with it and it was a total loss. I found my black mustang locally and it already had a built motor and a KB 2.4. I raced that car for a little, then I did a 4r70w trans conversion and after that I ditched the KB for a THP Twin Turbo. Eventually I decided to make the car more of a race car than a street car and ditched to stock computer for a stand alone Big Stuff 3 and here I am now, I am just starting to enjoy the car now and as I haven't even tested all its potential. I also can say that the car is done but I know that’s a lie….

I want to thank Greg from Racers Edge Tuning and all his crew for all the support and the patience building my car. In March of 2010, I started a small business retailing high performance parts for the local mustang enthusiasts. My shop is "Ed's Speed Shop", located in Downey California, we share the building with Greg fro Racers Edge Tuning (RET).

Congratulations Eduardo from the entire S197forum team for being selected for August 2011 COTM!

Last edited:

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks s197forum! This site rocks, thanks to all the members !

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats Ed....... great choice for COTM

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats Ed! Well deserved. Like i told you before, you're car was one of the first few s197's I fell in love with when I first got into mine.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well deserved! Congrats Ed!

One hell of a beast you've got there! Good thing you stuck with it after the accident!

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats Ed! Well deserved. Like i told you before, you're car was one of the first few s197's I fell in love with when I first got into mine.

Thanks Mike, your car is bad azz as well!

Should be doing some more testing next week if everything goes well!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back