Time to replace Ball Joints

Smokievol

forum member
Reaction score
Need to replace ball joints for my lowered Mustang. Searching the different post I guess I am lucky to get 72,000 miles from the Ford ball joints.
Do the GT500 arms include the taller balljoints to correct for a lowered vehicle, or just the TSB corrected 19mm vice 18mm balljoint shaft diameter?

If they do not, who makes the J&M ball joints and does anyone have any feedback.
Also looking at Steeda and Whiteline and doing the bumpsteer upgrade also.

Plus what bushings need to be replaced along with the ball joints? Would want to upgrade those at same time.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Read my thread here on the Boss 302S arms.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96749

GT500 arms don't include anything special and are a waste of money IMO.

I believe J&M makes the J&M ball joints. :poke:

If you do tall ball joints, a bumpsteer kit is essential.

No bushings required but the can be accomplished at that time. Let me tell you though, biggest pain in the ass job you'll ever do. I ended up stressing my A arm trying to get the old bushings off. The rest is history... as documented in the above thread.

Powered by Ford

forum member
Reaction score
Use the Drake/Shelby Balljoints. They are actually taller ball joints made by Howe Racing (top of the line).

I'd recommend a bumpsteer kit as well. :)

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
I've got the Howe joints in my Boss arms. Very sexy indeed.

Smokievol

forum member
Reaction score
Followed your post link, Looks super and you have the know how.
I guess my performance shop could do that install, but who knows if this Stang will ever see a road course.

Love the idea that you can change out the bushings.

One question, will these ball joints fit in the oem LCA??

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
When I purchased the Boss A arm it already had the ball joint installed. I have yet to see the ball joint offered separately. It may fit a 10+ a arm but not a 05-09.

Smokievol

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like it will fit, from CJ Pony parts website

Scott Drake Part Number: 5R3Z-3050-K
Pair of Drake Muscle Cars Anti-Roll Tall Precision Ball Joints for 2005-2012 Mustangs.

These anti-roll ball joints from Drake Muscle Cars are made in the USA by Howe Racing, a well respected originator of the precision ball joint. Recommended for lowered vehicles, these will improve handling by increasing tire grip and eliminating unwanted body roll without using excessively high rate springs or sway bars. Similar products currently on the market don’t come close.

These are fully adjustable and rebuildable. Highly recommended to use with Bumpsteer Tie Rod Ends. The ball joint is threaded to increase strength and ease of removal for replacement or to be rebuilt. These are some of the best precision pieces available and will withstand any track condition!

Note:
- Requires threaded insert adapters, BJL9A
- Special socket highly recommended, BJL9T

I wonder how they will be for the street, as compared to track use?

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
They may be Howe, but they're not the same ones I've got. Not that that is a big deal or anything. Those look top notch.

Smokievol

forum member
Reaction score
The Howe BJ will require a good amount of upkeep. I now have my Mustang retired from the DD grind, need to buy a grease gun if your having these installed.

Grease ball joints with low friction grease after every 3000 miles for street driving
and every 1000 miles (about 300 to 400 track laps) for track driving. We recommend Citgo MP Lithoplex 3 or Red Line CV2. Unlike conventional ball joints, ours
will only accept grease until it is full (typically, one pump or less is required). Once
the grease passages are full they will not vent, the pressure from the grease gun
can make it difficult to remove the gun from the zerk. To relieve the pressure work
the ball stud around to vent grease onto the ball, if the ball joint is on the vehicle,
bounce the suspension for the same result.
Remove and disassemble annually or every 10,000 miles (roughly 2000 laps) to
clean all moving parts and adjust lash. Follow procedures below and reference
exploded view figure

Reaction score
Why force yourself to spend even more money by needing to buy a bumpsteer kit on a car that isn't doing any track work? You've also seen what a pain in the dick it it do deal with bushing removal. you trust your "performance shop" to do it right? Plus, these things require regular maintenace?
Nonsense. Get a set of GT500 arms and call it a day.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Why force yourself to spend even more money by needing to buy a bumpsteer kit on a car that isn't doing any track work? You've also seen what a pain in the dick it it do deal with bushing removal. you trust your "performance shop" to do it right? Plus, these things require regular maintenace?
Nonsense. Get a set of GT500 arms and call it a day.

yup. Or just put some stock replacement balljoints in. And while I can understand overkill, if you're not the one doing the install and the maintenance, chances are you'll forget or just end up spending money to get someone else to maintain it for you. You might be better off going the no maintenance route.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
I have the steeda bumpsteer kit, and I like that it has a spherical joint compared to the whiteline which looks like more bushing. I do have the Whiteline bushings on the car though. I just finished my install a couple days ago and haven't been able to drive it yet (fingers crossed for tomorrow). I hear great things and I expect great things.

DSC08697_zpsf78bec38.jpg

DSC08693_zps52053d10.jpg

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
Let us know how much noise the front end makes with the bushings and spherical tie rod ends. Thinking of doing the same setup for my car. 908Ssp did a write up on how to remove the bushing by drilling out the rubber then cutting the sleeve and driving it out with a drift. Said it was hard but not impossible. Anyone know what is involved with adding the Howe ball joint to the stock a arm? Looks like there is a thread adapter, does this require welding?
Thanks
Steve

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Some genius comopany needs to hook it up so we would be able to goto a website and order an OEM arm (drop down menu with year) and then select bushing options and then Ball joint via a drop down menu. Preassembled, with your choice of bushing and ball joint replacement. Tell me that shit wouldn't be "linked" to fucking death.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Id totally have gone for that. Hell, even the Ford racing arms i got didn't have bushings. The price i paid, there should've been the best bushings money can buy pre installed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
I don't know what us involved with the off the shelf howe joints but it looks to NE like its welded in on my 302S arm. ill probably post a little review if all of my new suspension in my a arm thread. Hopefully i get my fuel pump today. I'm going out of my mind not driving the car.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back