stiffness

seethesvt

forum member
Reaction score
Installed my shifter in Feb. Great quality, perfect fit... But its really stiff. Took my car out today from winter hibernation and I had a lot of unintentional 1st to 4th shifts in casual shifts. At wot on hard shifts, its like a dream. But I really have to pull hard left to get to 1st and 2nd. My girlfriend can't even get it into first... Not that that's a problem though, don't want her to drive it anyways...

Will the shifter loosen up over time? 7 turns...

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
First to fourth shifts...hmmm Are you keeping good left pressure on it as you pull it down towards to second? If not, the centering springs will take over and I could see you ending up in fourth.

I'm not surprised that you're not going into 4th during WOT. If you're like me when shifting in WOT, I'm pulling down to 2nd with plenty of left pressure. Of course, those centering springs are invaluable so you don't miss the dreaded 2-3 shift.

As for your adjustment, I set mine up in the "middle" setting and it works best for my kind of driving style. Your mileage may vary.

You mention your GF having trouble getting it into first. Do you have any problems like binding when you do it?

Keep in mind that the MGW shifter isn't the "granny" stock shifter they install from factory. Train yourself until it becomes automatic, even under casual shifting.

If all of that doesn't work for you, call MGW. Their customer service is great.

seethesvt

forum member
Reaction score
She can't pull the shifter to the left. There's no binding.. It is my first day using the shifter, pretty sure I'll get the correct habit. Just wondering if it'll break in at all...

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
I've had mine for a couple of years and it's just as tight as it was the day I bought it. Personally, if it started getting sloppy, I wouldn't be happy.

Just thought of something. It should have been lubed in the pivot area that you can see underneath the shifter boot. If it is, you're good and you don't need to add any. If it isn't, call MGW.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
MGW says ~5000 miles is how long it takes to break in the spring and get it to loosen up. Also if you do not like the stiffness just remove the top spring cap and that will loosen it up a little as well

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
a couple things....

1. the 7 throw setting is towards the short side. a setting of 3-4 will be easier to shift and pull left to right.

2. adjust the height of the knob shaft in the blackl clmap bracket so that the bottom of the shaft does NOT hang down below the black bracket. raising the knob height up makes the mechanical leverage much much better.

3. make sure you have the arrow facing the drivers side on the linakge below . it should not be hard to shift to 1-2 gate.

if you have any questions please call me at 706-793-1770

george

seethesvt

forum member
Reaction score
The knob shaft I'd also low as possible without interfering, I already decided to raise it after driving it for the first time... And the arrow is definitely pointing towards the drivers side.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
also make sure the shifter bushing on the arm is not smashed, I overtightened mine and it felt stiff all over the place till I went back under and loosened it a bti and added some red loctite.

seethesvt

forum member
Reaction score
Getting used to it... I think its just that i was so used to oem shifters. Great product...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back