R-Spec 3.4L Supercharger Kit For 3v's

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
:lmaf:

Do what I did. Start a performance parts company. Your wife won't have any idea what your spending money on.

"It's for the business honey.":chewie:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since this IS the official DOB Spec R thread, figure I'll just post my questions here. Anyone looking at the kit will have more info.

So, Figured I would ask when the heat exchanger and fans would be available?

Will a battery mount intercooler tank with fittings to match the lines coming out of the manifold be made available?

Will a pump (or line of pumps) be available for purchase? What would you recommend?

Thanks Jason!

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What would be your opinion on this combo to feed air?

Super Cobra Jet 140mm Intake Tube
Super Cobra Jet 140MM Air Housing
SUPER COBRA JET OVAL THROTTLE BODY

• Fits 2007-2012 Shelby GT500 (stock dual 62 mm), 2008-2012 Cobra Jet
  • Original Equipment on 2010-2012 Cobra Jet with optional 4.0L supercharger
  • CFM Rating: 1797cfm.*
  • Does not include calibration, calibration required

2007-2011 Mustang Ford Racing Replacement Filter M-9601-D

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Since this IS the official DOB Spec R thread, figure I'll just post my questions here. Anyone looking at the kit will have more info.

So, Figured I would ask when the heat exchanger and fans would be available?
Spring. We're beating our heads against the wall on what to do about core design. Lots of options.

Will a battery mount intercooler tank with fittings to match the lines coming out of the manifold be made available?
We won't be doing this. Waaaaay expensive and a very limited market. We do have a standard location tank though with 1.25" fittings and we're working on a pump mount/house routing deal to go with it.

Will a pump (or line of pumps) be available for purchase? What would you recommend?
We will be selling the Davies Craig EWP150 which is a good pump. The Stewart deal isn't good for us unfortunately. I wanted to sell them but the numbers I have to get from them to get dealer status are astronomical. I can't tie that much cash up on that.

If you're going 1.25" the Davies Craig will get you 20gpm and the Stewart 27gpm. Both of them are a LOT of GPM (most systems are 6gpm). I may have more empirical data soon as to if it is worth going for broke and getting that last 7gpm.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score

My theory is go as big as possible. I think the VMP is a better TB. As far as CAI goes the JLT Super Big air is the big daddy.

The CJ stuff will probably be fine, but for the same money I say go big.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

See how your tuner feels about it before buying. TB can be very tricky to tune for without a stock file and not all of them will do it.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
See how your tuner feels about it before buying. TB can be very tricky to tune for without a stock file and not all of them will do it.

That's good advice.

He has already tuned several cobrajet oval throttle bodies and said it would be no issue.

After quite a bit of research, decided to go with the complete cobrajet setup. Jim at JDM was quite helpful. I also purchased the heat deflector. It will have to be trimmed a little to fit since it was for the smaller tube. The one in this pic has been trimmed.

My ram air hood dumps right there, so should help keep cool air for the intake.

12208454_10154110093190139_6543579980248876706_n_zpsghg6qjec.jpg

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the wrap still recommended or is the pan design improved from what Jim had?

Picture9_zpswtvai2cl.png

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
That shield is independent of any pan/manifold design. All pans/manifolds will conduct heat.

I did some bench/rig testing on a bunch of heat shields/coatings/films/etc and that DEI stuff was head and shoulders above the rest.

I've never done a A-B-A IAT comparison though. I'm not even sure if I could devise a test that was consistent enough. I put that heat shield in the "It sure doesn't hurt" column.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have FORE GT fuel rails. Jim had a issue with his and bought GT500 Fore rails. Is that still an issue?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So, lets say that a guy really wanted a battery mount intercooler tank. You could pick up a moroso tank, shave the two stock fittings off the end, redrill and weld the 1.25 fittings on. Am I understanding the 1.25 inch correctly? That is a big goddamn fitting!

Picture10_zps2fhhegq7.png

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
So, lets say that a guy really wanted a battery mount intercooler tank. You could pick up a moroso tank, shave the two stock fittings off the end, redrill and weld the 1.25 fittings on. Am I understanding the 1.25 inch correctly? That is a big goddamn fitting!

Picture10_zps2fhhegq7.png

That could be used, but that tank is way too small for the space and mounts like crap. And you still wouldn't have the pump mounted.

I just sent you an email.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That could be used, but that tank is way too small for the space and mounts like crap. And you still wouldn't have the pump mounted.

I just sent you an email.

Got your e-mail. I had a knock off of the moroso tank modded to be my current coolant tank. Nothing bigger would fit with my UPR aluminum battery tray. Thanks for pointing out the one for sale, but I would not be interested.

Pump wise, I think the Davies Craig EWP150 is the way for me to go.

Does the Davies pump mount on the tank or can be mounted anywhere?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Got your e-mail. I had a knock off of the moroso tank modded to be my current coolant tank. Nothing bigger would fit with my UPR aluminum battery tray. Thanks for pointing out the one for sale, but I would not be interested.

Pump wise, I think the Davies Craig EWP150 is the way for me to go.

Does the Davies pump mount on the tank or can be mounted anywhere?

You could mount the EWP150 right to the tank. But it would take some custom machining/welding. It is the best place to put it.

When going with 1.25" lines and a tank mount the Meziere is a god choice. It is already set up for a surface mount, packages nice and flows withing 1gpm of the EWP150.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You could mount the EWP150 right to the tank. But it would take some custom machining/welding. It is the best place to put it.

When going with 1.25" lines and a tank mount the Meziere is a god choice. It is already set up for a surface mount, packages nice and flows withing 1gpm of the EWP150.

The more I dig into this, I think a half moon trunk tank is the way to go. Since I like supporting forum vendors, PNR welding makes a nice tank.

Would you mount the Stewart pump right on the flat side of the half moon?

Would you wrap the coolant lines under the car?

Heat Shroud

SKU: 010405
Heat Shroud is made from a high temperature rated glass fiber fabric with an aluminized outer facing. Same as Heat Sheath but with the added convenience of hook & loop closure design along the open edges. Without the need of removing one end of connected wires, cables and hoses, simply wrap Heat Shroud around whatever needs protection and close edges.

• Versatility of fitting diameters ½” to 1-1/4”
  • Convenient hook & loop designed edges
  • Withstands 500°F direct continuous/2000°F radiant heat
  • No need to remove wires and hoses
  • Easily trimed to length
  • Fireproof
  • 1⁄2” to 1-1/4” diameters x 3 foot length

Price: $37.25
Sizes: * #010405 - 1/2" to 1-1/4" ID x 3 ft, $37.25
#010457 - 1/2" to 3/4" ID x 3 ft, $30.46
#010487 - 2" to 2-1/2" ID x 3 ft, $45.27
#010405B50 - 1/2" to 1-1/4" ID x 50 ft, $507.52
#010487B50 - 2" to 2-1/2" ID x 50 ft, $461.54

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
You could mount right to the tank but it requires getting a mounting plate machined. I would just weld a 1.5" nipple on to the tank then run a very short section of 1.5" hose between the tank and pump (the pump inlets OD is 1.5"). The really short section of hose will act as a mount and you will get a really good feed on the pump with a hose that big. When you add the outlet line "strap" it to something close to the pump. The pump will float a little but it will be very rigid. That's a lot of hose support for a very light pump.

Unless you're planning on running the lines near the exhaust you don't need any heat shield. And argument could be made that if the water is as little as 1deg warmer than the ambient temp you will get some additional cooling through the surface area of the line.

And you don't want to bulk the 1.25" line up any more than it is already. It's already tricky to run.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm learning, thanks for answering :)

Could you touch on blower RPM as relates to the 3.4? What would be considered the sweet operating range, danger RPM?

Only thing I have found relates to boost. Seems like 24 PSI and above gets into dicey territory for some. Problem is, boost PSI and blower RPM don't necessarily correlate.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'm learning, thanks for answering :)

Could you touch on blower RPM as relates to the 3.4? What would be considered the sweet operating range, danger RPM?

Only thing I have found relates to boost. Seems like 24 PSI and above gets into dicey territory for some. Problem is, boost PSI and blower RPM don't necessarily correlate.

The sweet spot will be in the 14-15K range. The way you want to set yours up you will be under that for your two lower tunes. You may see 14K with your big tune.

The 3.4 will make way more than 24psi on a 4.6L 3v. I'm guessing in the 32-34psi range.

Good news is you won't be anywhere near stretching the blower out.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back