replacing resonators with straight pipe

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I know you can buy aftermarket OTA pipes that are a bit larger in diameter, and do not retain the resonators. I was considering cutting out the resonators and installing straight pipe in their spot, and just use clamps so I can swap them out between racing and road trips.

I've searched this a few times, but the threads usually end up nowhere. What's your opinion on the amount of restriction in the stock OTA pipes with the resonators? And if you do believe they are restrictive, do you believe the diameter of the pipe, or the resonators are causing the restriction.

Right now my car has a cat-less header system followed by the factory ota pipes into MBRP mufflers, (that seem to mimic the stock OTA pipe size pretty well). I like the mellow sound, but hate to be leaving any power on the table. I simply cannot see paying hundreds of dollars for ota pipes that are larger than the mid-pipe leading into them. And I really don't like how damn loud most Coyote Stangs are, I even see ones that probably aren't making 400 to the wheels that are screaming loud, laughable!

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The stock OTA pipes and resonators are not really a bottleneck at all on the Coyotes. I predict you will see zero noticeable performance benefit by removing the resonators.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
That's what I was hoping to hear, are people into the damn noise or what?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I dunno. Very few vendors even make aftermarket OTA pipes, because the stock ones are already 3" mandrel-bent.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I dunno. Very few vendors even make aftermarket OTA pipes, because the stock ones are already 3" mandrel-bent.
It seems like its more on how you spec your muffler package I believe, Cat back / axle back. I just got the MBRP axle backs because of price, and I wanted to keep the factory resonators to keep it tame sounding.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Resonators affect sound only.. They cancel out low frequencies which either minimize or eliminate resonance drone and also minimize rasp..

If your concerned about the factory exhaust as being restrictive, it's usually the stock cats, but compared to the previous 4.6 2v generation they're much less restrictive and have less back pressure to them..

However being as your running off road, you've already eliminated the restriction factor to begin with anyhow..

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With less than 1,000 miles on the clock, I went from a stock exhaust to a full Magnaflow "Competition" 3" cat-back, and the only difference I noticed was a splitting headache on the Interstate.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stock resonators bottleneck down to 2.5 from 2.75, yep no restriction there....

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I swapped out the OEM resonator OTA pipes for FRPP/SVT OTA pipes without the resonators and don't think there was any noticeable difference in power. With that, there could have been a small improvement that my seat-of-the-pants dyno didn't notice.

Also, I did NOT note any change in drone or exhaust tone at part or mid throttle. However, there was a slight exhaust tone increase under WOT. This was all with Borla S Type axle backs and FRPP/SVT X-Pipe already installed.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
As has already been stated removing the resonators will be for sound only. There will be no gains.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Thanks Grabber, I'd like to keep mine as quiet as possible, so that works out good for me!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back