Best Retro Styling Ideas

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
So, as I bounce ideas around in my head around my '05, looking at 60's Fastbacks as well as options from Retrobuilt or the "Reversion Mustang", who's got some cool pics of their car if you think you're rocking some extra "retro styling"? I'm looking for ideas to give my car some extra retro styling without looking like I won a shopping spree on JC Whitney.

Let's see some retro ideas! Here's how she sits as of now (Aug 17). I'm adding the SHR flush quarter louvers soon too.

19059465_10209569297137498_4883607906199749711_n.jpg

18953021_10209568985929718_3028406479882802919_n.jpg

P.S.
Forum Moderators - Feel free to move this thread if need be. Thanks

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
My car isn't completely retro but it is the spirit of the build if that makes sense

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1043.jpg
    IMG_1043.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I like the SHR blackout panel for the rear. It has that honeycomb look and is reminiscent of the mach one rear end.

Also I never thought our headlights looked quite right. The louvers in there are I feel are an important styling cue. I color matched my headlight buckets which made the louvers show better than the black on black and no contrast.

And if you really want one of those subtle retro styling cues, get rid of the truck mirrors and replace them with some proper ones like Agent 47 ones or something.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Also I never thought our headlights looked quite right. The louvers in there are I feel are an important styling cue. I color matched my headlight buckets which made the louvers show better than the black on black and no contrast.

How did you do that?

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
My car isn't completely retro but it is the spirit of the build if that makes sense

Looking good! :thumbsup:

MassMustang
I like you license plate. Nice car by the way.

Thank you!

I never thought our headlights looked quite right. The louvers in there are I feel are an important styling cue. I color matched my headlight buckets which made the louvers show better than the black on black and no contrast.

And if you really want one of those subtle retro styling cues, get rid of the truck mirrors and replace them with some proper ones like Agent 47 ones or something.

I've got the MMD retro mirrors. I love mine!

I've been thinking about my headlights as well. Something like you did, maybe the Raxiom Retro headlights or maybe convert the fogs to headlights and go with the 70-style scoops from Agent 47?

01_agent47mustang.jpg

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Louvers lol Lol
4132d31c3544a4f4002ee285dc52021b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I think the body design itself is retro enough. Most retro parts will always make it look like it came from a JC Whitney buying spree imo.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
MassMustang, IMHO, if you are going for the retro look, you have nailed it. Shaker hood, deep dish torque thrust wheels, Agent 47 mirrors, Shelby stripes, blacked out rear deck panel. You even have a nice rake to your stance. I think you need to stop there, although the SHR quarter window louvers are pretty slick! :) If you go any further, you will be treading dangerously close to the "JC Whitney" look.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
MassMustang, IMHO, if you are going for the retro look, you have nailed it. Shaker hood, deep dish torque thrust wheels, Agent 47 mirrors, Shelby stripes, blacked out rear deck panel. You even have a nice rake to your stance. I think you need to stop there, although the SHR quarter window louvers are pretty slick! :) If you go any further, you will be treading dangerously close to the "JC Whitney" look.

Thanks, man! I'll have the SHR louvers installed soon. I AM pretty happy with how she sits now but just wondering how to take it to the next level. Maybe that means a new car, maybe it means a major mod to my existing car.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I can add a few things. I owned a '69 Mach 1 in the 1980's and wanted another one, but market price for a functioning car is way out of line. The s197 is also a much more refined car, so I just made my own "tribute" Mach.

My car has the RetroUSA chrome bumpers. They have been on the car for 7 years and still look like new. Not many people have ever had them or even heard of them, mostly due to price. Even though I have won a lot of car show trophies with them, I have them for myself and personal taste. I just like chrome and modern blackout styling doesn't interest me (wheels, etc).

I have the Agent47 mirrors (much better quality than other mentioned manufacturer) and had the quarter window covers done in Redfire paint.

I like the Shelby GT front end, so I found a place that had the same square bar grill and used a Shelby GT emblem.

Attachments

• fef.jpg
    fef.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 12

lemkau77

forum member
Reaction score
I like to think my car is retro, but I guess that depends on who you are. It's still a work in progress, but it's getting there.

Attachments

• DSC05617.JPG
    DSC05617.JPG
    364.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC05729.JPG
    DSC05729.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 6

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your car is 12 years old. It's already retro without trying.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Your car is 12 years old. It's already retro without trying.

LOL. So true! It's getting there!

I was thinking something radical like this:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1310-reversion-mustang-modern-with-classic-twist/

(I love the rear view and the side angle looks good. The front end needs some updating)

...or this:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotrod.com/articles/check-out-the-superswap-2012-shelby-that-looks-like-a-1967-mustang-fastback/amp/

(Looks incredible but VERY expensive!)

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can add a few things. I owned a '69 Mach 1 in the 1980's and wanted another one, but market price for a functioning car is way out of line. The s197 is also a much more refined car, so I just made my own "tribute" Mach.

My car has the RetroUSA chrome bumpers. They have been on the car for 7 years and still look like new. Not many people have ever had them or even heard of them, mostly due to price. Even though I have won a lot of car show trophies with them, I have them for myself and personal taste. I just like chrome and modern blackout styling doesn't interest me (wheels, etc).

I have the Agent47 mirrors (much better quality than other mentioned manufacturer) and had the quarter window covers done in Redfire paint.

I like the Shelby GT front end, so I found a place that had the same square bar grill and used a Shelby GT emblem.

What is that chrome thing you have on your front fascia?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
it's a replica of a 60's chrome bumper, believe there's one on the back as well

each to his own, /shrug

07 Boss

Reaction score
How did you do that?

Took them apart and painted them. Taking them apart is a bitch and depending on the manufacturer (they used a couple over the years) they had different adhesive/sealant holding the cover on. I messed up one pair and had success with the second. If I remember correctly the housing with the little black cap that hangs down over the bulb were the ones that I had success with. My original ones did not have the little cap hanging down and those were the ones I couldn't get apart.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back