Wideband install ideas

46addict

Reaction score
There's lots of talk on the web on where to mount the bung, but I don't see much in depth on the electrical side of the install. As in, running wires for the gauge and wideband controller for key on power sources and grounds. And then the SCT Firewire for logging AFR/boost values into Livewire.

I currently have the controller inside the center console and the o2 sensor connector goes into the shifter boot, meeting the o2 sensor plug by the x-pipe. There are smart guys who have removed one of the front narrowband sensors and put the wideband sensor in place. Their setups have controllers that can send a narrowband output to the PCM, keeping the PCM happy and also allowing the driver to see wideband AFR. This is probably the cleanest install but it is over my head so it's out of the question for me. I took a shortcut and removed one of the rear o2 sensors and put the wideband sensor in its place. I will get around to getting the wideband bung welded.

The controller and gauge are wired into two separate fuse taps in the SJB for key on power. The controller shares a ground with the Firewire grounds, and the Analog 1 (orange) wire is connected to the Analog IN on the controller. This is an Innovate LC2 if that matters. Because the Firewire uses a chassis ground (seat bracket bolt), it's permanently attached to the car. When I am not datalogging I plan on burying the Firewire between the console and seat. The gauge is on it's own ground by the a-pillar footwell.

I hope all of this makes sense. I will update with pics if necessary to help explain things. I'm wondering what you guys have done to get this setup wired in without snaking wires everywhere through the cabin or drilling holes in the panels. I'm not the most creative type so drilling on either side of the center console is the best I could come up with. With the wideband controller as the "median", I can have one set of wires go the the driver's side a-pillar for gauge output, and another set of wires go to the passenger side to get power from the SJB. The orange (or red) Firewire pigtail will be permanently attached to the controller input.

Last edited:

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
TBH - when I had my AEM Wideband installed - I took it into my shop that does all the stuff I can't do and they installed the Wideband and Roush Vent gauge pod , ran the wires , and left the pigail for my firewire cable so i could wire the analog input into my X4 for the paltry sum of $48. (Well that and I did bring in a dozen of their fav doughnuts as well)

My sensor is mounted in the driver's side rear O2 location as I have the offroad H pipe and have the rear O2's turned off.

Mounting in the vent closest to the drive worked out best for me.
oJDyk4I.jpg

Close up of the gauge and pod
hsQbHfo.jpg

46addict

Reaction score
For $48 I would have paid someone too. The whole thing (gauge, controller, sensor, and wiring it all) took me about 5 hours. I'm just looking for a way to clean things up now.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
There are smart guys who have removed one of the front narrowband sensors and put the wideband sensor in place. Their setups have controllers that can send a narrowband output to the PCM, keeping the PCM happy and also allowing the driver to see wideband AFR.

That is not smart, sorry. I suggest never doing this.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have my gauge set up in my glovebox as I can't watch a boost gauge, a tachometer, a wideband, and the road at the same time. I will verify that the A/F is behaving from time to time but I don't have it somewhere I can see it full time.
I agree with Lito, I'd rather keep my wideband as a separate functioning system rather than tying it into the PCM in any way. Let the PCM have its own sensors rather than sending a converted signal and hoping it doesn't mess anything else up.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Problem is that the stock sensor calibration is very specific with the OEM sensors, this is why Bosch doesn't work well and emulator won't work as the OEM part either.

46addict

Reaction score
How are you guys routing your wires without turning the interior into a rat's nest?
I've opened the access port for the e-brake adjustment nut and ran wires through the center console and I have them branched off to the driver's side and passenger side on the other end of the console. Is that the best way to do it? I guess there's no right or wrong answer here. Except for the piggybacking the wideband into the PCM idea. Thanks for the advice on that. I wasn't going to do it anyway but this nixes it completely.

46addict

Reaction score
I'm back with another question. While logging the wideband data on Livelink the AFR numbers were leaner than they are supposed to be. With the narrowband readings on point the AFR read 16.5-17.5 on average during part throttle closed loop. I am using an Innovate LC2 and the conversion formula for that is (v*3)+7.35 according to the preset Livelink formulas and Innovate.

To test for ground offset I had the key on/engine off and tested voltage readings off of Livelink without any conversion formula and it read 4.1-4.2 volts. I am supposed to be getting 5 volts with the wideband fully lean (engine off) so the chassis ground I used for the wideband controller and firewire must not have been good enough. Some say they must be grounded to the engine block.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Has anyone had to fudge the conversion formula the get the right numbers and is everyone grounding these wires to the block?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, widebands and other sensors must have a very low impedance connection to ground; they must be grounded to the exact same point as the PCM and other controllers.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I have the PLX multi gauge. It uses one gauge with multiple modules daisy chained for different sensors.

Currently have AFR and Boost/Vac. So when I want another sensor, I just wire up the new module which I keep it nicely organized in my glove box.

I have the gauge displaying AFR 99% of the time. It automatically records Peak/Min values so I can always check after how much boost I was making.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I'm using Aeroforce interceptor gauges so I just plug into the OBDII port for power. Organized the wiring behind the glove box. I tucked the module right under the carpet near the bulkhead. Just take your time to do it. I'm OCD so I reorganized the wiring about 2-3 times before I was satisfied.

I have mine in a custom gauge pod molded into my map light.

o3zKBUm_1W45jyndHOZhTrxPwadTsUs0XNI1ZrdIOGpIPvGY2jpDj9HWspwAv0vuD5_ah-7e_0bandfBaPQspvxzUcYyW5zxPAeuOlFbyDlsIjyXWSLy2GJibmkkEUyfKnmprIepS8N96KqvxtscBSKMbIWBYw8zTjMT8YDo-yq03_kbZ3cxbK2lGXG7NVgGFwVtqxHbnFMRNvN00QczV4A3jiePSjWAhIOQ-1-OosFki-GqMTnFRCupL063d8GlKTEH6GeGz0eW8yY0DgH1a_Veqk3zPTbT0EZ_t_J6Kjth1kEanenkK_HV96cW3ti8B__pNNADTn-SPI3HrhSGTMALwc6BDGPYF4zXgJOCGKZbu4ZYk9mB2mqXtEqTQmEBsnnReAoYND95DCWZU3e8qYxB6kMPH3q1ZZbtnVb1jNqvLcVLPvAir1FQNNstqJhLV2oSWmnf9UU8mmwGGZlCc2eNMPANKYWyOYIp6pdfRzR-Ej_Da0Uw5k74qz4QicxHXnDsZNPbw_XoRvrdxK4KA3IF-qWVS7n-YK5jsOvc9UgpYsK620kHXfgDQ8OOFdC8oGn8i1fZmw1o0CufMVIwIwsJcC7z3Tfh6e9eY_q3kqEYVjARFe5Y=s902-no

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back