Footwell lights

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Ive been looking to add footwell lighting to the front and back of my 07 gt. Id like to get a led with a diffuser to get better coverage but all I can find is the raxiom kit which imo is overpriced and only has leds for the front footwells. Anyone done this? I found some various pics of s197s with the factory ambient lighting and diy'ers but I cant find much info on what parts they used.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing this as well but never got around to it, yet.

The parts needed are simple, just wiring, a couple sockets and some LED's, as long as you know where to hook the wiring up (I can't remember now).

The diffuser would be the difficult part. I would think you could use some of those "inverted cone" 194 led bulbs (the kind that shine out the sides rather than straight out the end), shouldn't take more than a couple to put plenty of light in the footwell.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Id rather piece my own kit together. The raxiom kit is way overpriced. Im thinking about getting these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371662811123

Or these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192035174980

Both should light up the footwells and then some, though it may be a little less "ambient" than I want. I guess Im being picky. Now to find spots to mount them. Does anyone know where the stock mounting locations are? I saw a thread where the op used leds with a projector like in the last link and mounted the fronts on the sides of the ac panel where the plastic part of the dash ends and the rears between the plastic trim and carpet under the quarter windows. Both kind of stuck out imo. Im thinking of making some sort or bracket and mounting the fronts below the steering column behind the dash and the rears under the front seats pointed back. Thoughts?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Ive been looking to add footwell lighting to the front and back of my 07 gt. Id like to get a led with a diffuser to get better coverage but all I can find is the raxiom kit which imo is overpriced and only has leds for the front footwells. Anyone done this? I found some various pics of s197s with the factory ambient lighting and diy'ers but I cant find much info on what parts they used.

You can either get two of the Raxiom ones (for front and back), or look around over at SuperBrightLEDs.com and piece together your own kit.

I just bought some 6 LED strips from superbright and tapped into the interior light circuit. I went with the red and blue Ford Racing color scheme. I just attached them under the seat facing front and rear.

I also got a couple little ones and did my cup holder and center storage.

It might be a little over the top with the overhead lights swapped out too but the girls love my little rave mobile.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
^^^ I like it!

I know this is probably wishful thinking, but do you have a write-up on how you did this? I am a total idiot when it comes to automotive wiring/lighting.

Although I did wire up some fog lights on an old Jeep once! :biggrin:

07 Boss

Reaction score
^^^ I like it!

I know this is probably wishful thinking, but do you have a write-up on how you did this? I am a total idiot when it comes to automotive wiring/lighting.

Although I did wire up some fog lights on an old Jeep once! :biggrin:

No write up. I believe it is originally tapped into wires in the Passenger A-pillar that go to the overhead lights. I had the lighted Ford Racing sill plates on there already and I just tapped into those wires. So where ever the install instructions for the sill plates (available online) went, is where you should wire those in. Actual light placement was where ever I could attach them under the seats. The center console and cup holder involved drilling a couple of holes in spots where I put the single lights, but basically anywhere that is not directly visible will work. You just want the glow, not the glare, of the LED.

Last edited:

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Boss I somehow didnt see your post before I replied, they look good. Im planning on doing the same thing as what you did in the back seat where you mounted them under the front seats to illuminate the floor. I just bought a new gt500 clutch master cylinder and axle backs so Im tapped out for the moment but when I have the funds I think Im going to just use phillips 194 bulbs (they have a built in diffuser) and mount the fronts directly above the pedals under the dash (as opposed to on the sides of the hvac where the oem ambient lighting is mounted) and somehow mount one under each front seat but point them to the rear. It might be tough since I have both front power seats so I have to get eyes under there first. It should be a fun project as long as I dont break anything like usual lol.

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
I used these... I got them off eBay, 8 of them for like $10. I got blue but they have a handful of different colors. only used 6 of them... one under each seat and one under the dash on both sides, I cut them down to 3 leds and they give a nice subtle blue glow. For the cup holder I drilled two small holes in each cup holder and wrapped the whole strip around from the back side (took center console apart) lining up the led to the hole and electrical tape to secure them. I wired all of them together to the fuse panel to a key on hot open fuse. Super easy install only took an hour or so... Hard to get any good pics showing the lights on, camera really doesn't pick them up very well...

cd632f8f49e0d3141e840e921afde144.jpg

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
That doesnt look bad at all. I thought about using those strips though I didnt think the lighting was uniform since there is more than one led. It would appear I was wrong though.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
I just bought some 6 LED strips from superbright and tapped into the interior light circuit. I went with the red and blue Ford Racing color scheme. I just attached them under the seat facing front and rear.

I also got a couple little ones and did my cup holder and center storage.

It might be a little over the top with the overhead lights swapped out too but the girls love my little rave mobile.

I really like that Ford Racing Door well light, I got's to have one now. Where did you tap into the power, was it an add a fuse on the interior lights?

07 Boss

Reaction score
I really like that Ford Racing Door well light, I got's to have one now. Where did you tap into the power, was it an add a fuse on the interior lights?

Passenger A-pillar. The two wires going to the overhead lights. No need for an add a fuse/circuit. I just used a couple of those scotch lock wire tap thingies. Not the best for splicing in wiring but they're just lights.

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score

On this topic, does anyone know the colors of a key-on hot wire under dash, either behind the glove box or up under the drivers side?

Joe88xj

forum member
Reaction score
Id rather piece my own kit together. The raxiom kit is way overpriced. Im thinking about getting these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/371662811123

Or these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192035174980

Both should light up the footwells and then some, though it may be a little less "ambient" than I want. I guess Im being picky. Now to find spots to mount them. Does anyone know where the stock mounting locations are? I saw a thread where the op used leds with a projector like in the last link and mounted the fronts on the sides of the ac panel where the plastic part of the dash ends and the rears between the plastic trim and carpet under the quarter windows. Both kind of stuck out imo. Im thinking of making some sort or bracket and mounting the fronts below the steering column behind the dash and the rears under the front seats pointed back. Thoughts?

I purchased a superbright LED kit from autozone for I think 40.00 and 2 additional 12 inch strips for like 11.00 each . the superbright LED strips are much brighter than the standard strips. the kit had one of those push button demo setups in it, well I pirated the connectors for the 2 strips for the rear of the car from that harness. all I had to do after that was add some wire to make the connections. In the front I discovered the factory main wire harness ran directly under the dash across both footwells and I zip tied the strips to it facing down, in the rear I used the existing 3m tape that came with the strips to attach under front seats. look up the install instructions for the raxiom kit and itll show you what wires to tie into.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I think Im going to go with the 194 style leds both front and back so its bright but not too bright. Im about to order parts right now.

Back