What have you done to your house today

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Suggestions for decent flat screen wall mounts? So many out there and I can't tell whats sturdy quality. Looking for something that can fit 55-65"

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Monoprice. Lots of options. Cheap. Waaaayyyyyy cheap. Good quality I have used 5 or 6 different TV and PC monitor mounts. All have been very good.

TV mounts are a racket. My most expensive mount was less than $25 bucks. and it holds my 48" just fine and it's rated to hold like 75 or 80 pounds. I am not even close to that. Maybe not even half.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Cam, I bought this one last year after sorting through the Amazon reviews. Solid as a rock. They have fancier ones that will swivel side to side but this one doesn't. It does tilt downward slightly. It also has a quick release so you can pull the levers and remove the TV in seconds. Then rehang and flip the latch to secure it.
Amazon.com: Cheetah Mounts APTMM2B TV Wall Mount Bracket for 20-75" TVs up to VESA 600 and 165lbs, Fits 16” And 24” Wall Studs, and includes a 10' Twisted Veins HDMI Cable and a 6" 3-Axis Magnetic Bubble Level: Electronics

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Thanks. Going to look into both of those. Just ordered some 10 ft HDMI cords as well and probably going to home depot/lowes to check out lighting fixtures for the garage this evening. Get the keys to the house on the 11th and could not be more excited to get order back to my life. I'm thankful my dad is letting us stay with him, but I'm so discombobulated with my shit spread everywhere and in storage.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Monoprice sells good cables for good prices too. I have them all throughout my house. No problems so far.

I hardwired the internet in two residences with product from them.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Monoprice sells good cables for good prices too. I have them all throughout my house. No problems so far.

I hardwired the internet in two residences with product from them.

Yep I did Monoprice mount and a bunch of hdmi's, their shipping is expensive so I bundle orders. Nice getting matching hdmi's but in different colors can easily track them.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Had the AC unit repaired today. Not even moved in there and the capacitors went. -_-

I had the same problem with my place I bought back in Feb. Home inspector stated that the heater wouldn't turn on but the previous owner was adamant that it worked. I told them I wouldn't close until they sent out a tech to look at it. Turns out a capacitor was bad on the control board and that's why it took about 10 minutes for it to turn on. Obviously the inspector didn't wait around 10 min for it to kick on either.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
maybe the ex-owners/current renters turned it up too high ????

Worse - the capacitors blew because the filter hadn't been changed in a LONG time.

I replaced it immediately when I went over there and the previous owners were admitting to me they really don't know what that stuff is... but had it serviced two months ago... that service didn't do jack shit.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the same wall mount as Brian. Its been solid with our 65" hanging off of it.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Got the keys to our place yesterday. Time to start slowly move stuff in.

Should have pre-move-in projects done by early next week to actually start living there.

Just purchased a NEST thermostat too yesterday based on a lot of peoples recommendation for energy savings. Trying to do some smart home integration, but not go too overboard.

Including:

Wifi/Auto Keypad Lock
Cameras
Some Wifi home lighting
Simple Security System - our new house has an outdated looking BRINKS system that needs to be ripped out asap. Was looking at the Protect America systems @ $20/mo.

Also need to replace the smoke detectors.

5bb5aeaae1c36a2da9b1ced748b60f4d.jpg

Last edited:

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a foreclosure for about 60k less than it appraises for. In a really great neighborhood. Needs some TLC (paint, floor covering, etc.), but we are thinking that it would make a great investment. Buy, fix up, live in for a few years, re-sell for large profit, buy home we will retire in.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a foreclosure for about 60k less than it appraises for. In a really great neighborhood. Needs some TLC (paint, floor covering, etc.), but we are thinking that it would make a great investment. Buy, fix up, live in for a few years, re-sell for large profit, buy home we will retire in.

I have looked at several forclosres but have always worried about the previous owner coming back and torching it

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Started measuring out the kitchen for an update. We decided we'd like things a little easier around the holidays this year.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got the keys to our place yesterday. Time to start slowly move stuff in.

Should have pre-move-in projects done by early next week to actually start living there.

Just purchased a NEST thermostat too yesterday based on a lot of peoples recommendation for energy savings. Trying to do some smart home integration, but not go too overboard.

Including:

Wifi/Auto Keypad Lock
Cameras
Some Wifi home lighting
Simple Security System - our new house has an outdated looking BRINKS system that needs to be ripped out asap. Was looking at the Protect America systems @ $20/mo.

Also need to replace the smoke detectors.

5bb5aeaae1c36a2da9b1ced748b60f4d.jpg

I recommend a Smith and Wesson security system....

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Had the AC unit repaired today. Not even moved in there and the capacitors went. -_-

Same thing with us. We only used the original A/C for maybe 2 weeks before it died completely. How old is the A/C unit?

maybe the ex-owners/current renters turned it up too high ????

Or they just band-aided it to get it by. That was the story with ours. Once our tech got the old one out. he kind of dug into it a bit more and the previous owners had just kind of kept fixing little things to keep it limping along at the end of it's life.

I recommend a Smith and Wesson security system....

Second that vote for home security by S&W

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score

Good plan. My realtor is retired military and specializes in foreclosures for this very purpose. He has made some serious coin flipping these properties, but you need patience since they are not normally a quick flip. One of our buddies bought a VA foreclosure in 2009. Paid about $85k under tax appraisal. Sold it in 2013 for $25k over current tax appraisal...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back