What have you done to your house today

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck, Ryan. Fannie Mae took almost 2 weeks to accept my offer, that was brutal. It is a beautiful house and seems like a good price for 2.6 acres of land. How far out of town are you?

Currently about 15 minutes from downtown, the new place will be 25-ish minutes. We got a counter offer that's a whopping $2k lower than asking. Currently deciding if we want to counter closer to the middle between asking and our initial offer and risk losing the house, or if we should just go for it. Ugh. If I make it through today without vomiting it will be a miracle.

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
Try selling a house and getting low balled. If it's been on the market for a few months I say counter. I ended up selling for 18k under my original asking price :/

We got to the point where we were wanting to buy a new house and tired of paying rent and a mortgage.

That was gonna be my terminator money!!

Last edited:

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Currently about 15 minutes from downtown, the new place will be 25-ish minutes. We got a counter offer that's a whopping $2k lower than asking. Currently deciding if we want to counter closer to the middle between asking and our initial offer and risk losing the house, or if we should just go for it. Ugh. If I make it through today without vomiting it will be a miracle.

Good luck, Ryan. Did your realtor give you any indication to the tone of the agent/sellers when they delivered the counter?

I finished swapping out all of our bathroom sinks today, and installed the last light fixture we have. Two left to swap, but they're on back order. Also set up an appointment to have someone come out for a consult/quote to landscape our back yard.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Try selling a house and getting low balled. If it's been on the market for a few months I say counter. I ended up selling for 18k under my original asking price :/

We got to the point where we were wanting to buy a new house and tired of paying rent and a mortgage.

That was gonna be my terminator money!!

The house was on and off the market for two years, sold to the current owner in August of 2014, who is now selling it and it has been on the market for 86 days. Our offer is very fair. The current owner is very sick apparently which is why he's selling, but apparently doesn't want to play ball. We went the typical route: his listing price was way too high, we offered at a number that isn't offensive, but expect to close in the middle.

Either way, the realtor got a fire lit under her ass today for a variety of reasons, one of which being that the counter offer didn't even have the time limit date/time filled in for response. If it can't be read, it hadn't been said. Got that fixed REAL QUICK.

Good luck, Ryan. Did your realtor give you any indication to the tone of the agent/sellers when they delivered the counter?

I finished swapping out all of our bathroom sinks today, and installed the last light fixture we have. Two left to swap, but they're on back order. Also set up an appointment to have someone come out for a consult/quote to landscape our back yard.

She assured us that the seller was anticipating a counter offer to his counter and that he wants to work with us.

Landscaping sucks, but almost all of it is totally DIY type work and even large projects can be done in a weekend. Unless you're looking for a landscape designer to reconfigure your space, give it a shot! You'll be surprised what you can do with a few trips to Home Depot and, if you're feeling really saucy) a trip through Pinterest. [Disclaimer: It's advised that you drink whiskey straight from the bottle and clean multiple firearms (not in that order) to maintain optimal manliness while browsing Pinterest. You've been warned.]

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Ryan just sit back and decide is it worth a couple of thousand to lose the chance of getting it? If it's not, then go all in and get it. That's what I did and I have zero regrets.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
. [Disclaimer: It's advised that you drink whiskey straight from the bottle and clean multiple firearms (not in that order) to maintain optimal manliness while browsing Pinterest. You've been warned.]

Haha! From what I've seen of Pinterest, I think you might be on to something with the disclaimer!

We might end up doing it ourselves. We did in NM and it turned out pretty good. We just might do synthetic turf, and don't want it to look like a hack job did the install.

That's good to hear about their counter. If the seller is expecting another counter, I'd say go for it.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Ryan just sit back and decide is it worth a couple of thousand to lose the chance of getting it? If it's not, then go all in and get it. That's what I did and I have zero regrets.

Basically the deal is that we're close (I think), but if we can't get below X then I will need to borrow money from parents or something to avoid PMI on the loan and there's no way I'm paying that shit. We have the cash, but I don't want to touch savings or any accounts other than current expendable cash AT ALL since we have a daughter due in June, and I'm not real psyched on the idea of asking anyone for money. Not really my style. That said, I'm not gonna be stupid and lose the house over a few bucks. The seller wants to work with us, and we sent a counter offer tonight so we will continue to play ball.

Haha! From what I've seen of Pinterest, I think you might be on to something with the disclaimer!

We might end up doing it ourselves. We did in NM and it turned out pretty good. We just might do synthetic turf, and don't want it to look like a hack job did the install.

That's good to hear about their counter. If the seller is expecting another counter, I'd say go for it.

Sent the counter offer tonight. We'll know tomorrow what's next. Another restless night is in order for me. Catching up on Fired Up Garage now, and then sleep.

As far as Pinterest, you could try the more masculine and home-oriented Houzz app as well. I really love that app.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
As far as Pinterest, you could try the more masculine and home-oriented Houzz app as well. I really love that app.

Nice! Here's to hoping you hear good news early tomorrow.

I love Houzz. We're scouring it for ideas on how to design our basement bar.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Bathroom progress! Hit a 3 week delay due to my prior contractor bailing on shower project. New guy doin' work!

20d7dfee491c51b34af703004af9e6f0.jpg

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
^Looks like it's going to be a nice shower!

I installed the chandelier above our dining room table today. Damn thing is 36 lbs. I also got the results of our radon test. 12.2pci/l. Looks like we'll be installing a remediation system. Thankfully, our builder is going to split the cost with us.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Replaced the shower doors in one of the bathrooms at the girlfriend's place.
Old set had black moldy silicone around the frame, one of the doors had a missing handle, and they were just generally dirty / ugly

New set was $370 at Lowe's and it wasn't perfect but looks a lot better.

One step closer to listing the place!

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Put my water proof boots on so I could cut the part of the yard that's under water. Had to tilt the mower up to keep the water from bogging the motor down

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
^ Not good for the grass or the mower. Better plan would have been to wait for the water to dry up (or maybe just skim over it with a weed whacker).

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
^ Not good for the grass or the mower. Better plan would have been to wait for the water to dry up (or maybe just skim over it with a weed whacker).
Been under water for over 6 months now, rain every week and I'm fairly certain something has to backed up somewhere down the street.

bigmike06GT

forum member
Reaction score

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Got another estimate to do our backyard in synthetic turf. I think we're going to pull the trigger on who/which product to go with tonight. Damn, this stuff isn't cheep.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back