Crankshaft Pulley is shot and need to replace. Any tips or recomendations

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score

FYI!!!! I have a V6 not a GT but figured I would ask in here since the 4.0 section gets very little attention.

Went to drive the car today and I had no power steering as I was backing out. Popped the hood and the serpentine belt was off and noticed the crankshaft pulley was destroyed! PIC BELOW (Not my pic but same thing happened to my car). Now I need to fix it and wanted to know if you guys have any advice on how to tackle this. I have zero tools at my apartment and will need to either buy them all or just pay someone to do it. I rather try myself but figured I would ask you guys first. Called around and I can get a Dorman Harmonic Balancer for $80 and rent two tools, one to take off the old one and the other to put the new one on. Dealer wants $450 and that’s ridiculous so that’s why I rather try myself

Last edited:

nathanielwilliam

Reaction score
Those fail fairly common from what I hear. you will need to rent a pulley puller from a parts store. $80 isn't bad if it will hold up. its like 120-180 for ford replacement parts.

you`ll more than likely have to pull the cai, radiator top tank, powersteering tank, and the fan assembly out to get enough room. you might be able to get by without all of it but you are going to have to make room for the pullers. it shouldn't be too hard if you can use tools but will take a little work.

If you were in Tulsa, I'd totally load up my toolbox and come help but, I won't have time to make it to OKC for a couple weeks at least. Maybe someone else from OKC can help.

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info I called around a few dealers and they quoted me $195+ for the part and another $8 for the bolt. Also thanks for the help offer to bad I am not closer or I would tow it to you haha. I will call a few friends as well and see if any of them are able to help and also about to call a few mom and pop shop to see what they would quote labor wise. Guess we will see

Those fail fairly common from what I hear. you will need to rent a pulley puller from a parts store. $80 isn't bad if it will hold up. its like 120-180 for ford replacement parts.

you`ll more than likely have to pull the cai, radiator top tank, powersteering tank, and the fan assembly out to get enough room. you might be able to get by without all of it but you are going to have to make room for the pullers. it shouldn't be too hard if you can use tools but will take a little work.

If you were in Tulsa, I'd totally load up my toolbox and come help but, I won't have time to make it to OKC for a couple weeks at least. Maybe someone else from OKC can help.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You need to buy the $8 bolt. Those are one use only and cheap insurance. Go to Discount Auto, Auto Zone or one of those type stores and rent the low profile puller. You will pay the full retail price for it but they refund your money when you bring it back. I tried removing mine with the gear puller I had and it wouldn't work, the one from the parts store had it off in 5 minutes.

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info I will be buying the part online for $80 and then grab the bolt here from the dealer and rent the tool from AutoZone. I most likely will be tackling this over the weekend so I have a little time to research and watch videos on how to do this. Thanks again

You need to buy the $8 bolt. Those are one use only and cheap insurance. Go to Discount Auto, Auto Zone or one of those type stores and rent the low profile puller. You will pay the full retail price for it but they refund your money when you bring it back. I tried removing mine with the gear puller I had and it wouldn't work, the one from the parts store had it off in 5 minutes.

Makaveli

Reaction score
Last year my harmonic balancer shot off and shredded the belt and broke the radiator and also the fan I believe, i thought someone was shooting at my car lol, ended up costing like 800 for everything

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
Dang sorry for the bad luck! Luckily I was pulling out of my driveway so nothing bad happened like that, just had no power steering and pulled right back in and noticed it

Last year my harmonic balancer shot off and shredded the belt and broke the radiator and also the fan I believe, i thought someone was shooting at my car lol, ended up costing like 800 for everything

REDxEYES71

white knucklin'
Reaction score
OP, I would like to piggy back on your thread instead of making two of the same. Hope its ok. And hopefully we will be able to help eachother out.
My wife's 07 V6 has 75k on it and the balancer has come apart. Luckily it didn't do that while it was running. She complained about hearing some squealing. So I went and picked up a new one. Her belt was half the width of the new one. That didn't seem right to me. So when I had the new one on I cranked the car. Looking down I saw the harmonic balancer wobbling. So I ordered a replacement for $128 Go to autozone and rent the puller. Start to loosen the bolt. Stupid automatic. Crankshaft freely spinning. Get out the impact wrench and it backed out. Put the puller on and it gets the pulley about half way off and stops. Can you help give me some ideas on how to get it the rest of the way off? I've read someone put a 6" extension and that helped. All I had in the tool box was a 4" which didn't work. Also, I'm suppose to put the little cone shaped peice at the end of the puller bolt right? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
To pull it off the rest of the way, I used a smaller diameter long bolt (like 8" long) that would fit through the hole in the pulley and past the threads in the crank, and used that to push the puller end against.

REDxEYES71

white knucklin'
Reaction score
Thanks TB! I'll try that.
OP, to save you some time, go to Lowes and buy two bolts that are 3 1/2"
I think they were 5/8. Could've been 5/16 but the ones that come with the puller will not go in far enough to grip any threads. Oh and buy a packet of washers. The bolts in the puller kit are metric but I couldn't find a 3 1/2 in the M8
Good luck!

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Man, all this talk over spitting out crank dampers is about to make me go ahead and swap mine out now before something happens. Maybe it's time to get an underdrive?

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
I would definitely go for an under drive pulley. I wish I knew about this issue before hand so I could have saved up a little and bought one but things don’t always work out the way you want

Man, all this talk over spitting out crank dampers is about to make me go ahead and swap mine out now before something happens. Maybe it's time to get an underdrive?

Lightningtruck

S197 Newb
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to keep an eye out for one. For once I will have the luxury to wait for a deal instead of dumping cash in a hurry. At least I hope that's how it works, LOL.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
i replaced mine with a oem replacement from the dealer the first time, then i went with the under drive the next time. had to remove the fan and maybe the rad to get the impact gun on that bolt. the puller kit i had, the small bolts werent long enough to reach the threads on the original oem pulley, so i had to come up with some and they are metric. not sure why they designed those darn holes to sit back in so far.

also the throw on the pulley puller runs out. you can come up with the right size spacer but a easy way is to deal with that is just loosen the bolt in the crank about 3/8" and use the head of the bolt. install the puller and start to remove it till you run out of throw or hit the bolt, then back the crank bolt out a little ways more like 3/8" and do it again. might take 3 times and its off. i got the new bolt from the dealer.

the replacement pulleys have a rubber coating on the outside to keep the water off and the small bolt holes are set up better too. on my 05, i could see where water got onto the outer ring and started rusting, then the rubber let loose. i got lucky and limped it home, (putting the a/c on kept a little extra tension on the belt) but the belt edge shredded a little and beat a hole in my hood blanket and ripped up the heat shield on the erg tube. it could have been alot worse.

i knew the time was coming to replace it by the tattered rubber ring, a sure sign between the inner part and the outer ring, but once i noticed it it went really fast. (the wot runs didnt help) with the replacement pulleys you cant see that rubber ring so i dont know about those, and my first replacement didnt fail like the original one

Attachments

• DSCF0837 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF0837 (640x480).jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0990 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF0990 (640x480).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
sorry for the horrible pics, but thats all i had. you can see the rubber ring, 3/4" in from the grooved part that looks rough or tattered. it should look smooth. thats a sure sign. when i saw it i thought, na,surely it will last a while. nope about the time i noticed it the belt was squeeling just at start up, and within a week it got worse, then after work one day i started it up and looked while it was squeeling, i could see the outer part of the pulling moving in and out while it was running.

i think this was more of a 05 issue, and the guy at the dealer i talked to said it wasnt just the stangs, it was all the 4.0`s, trucks, cars etc. and they were doing alot of them. so fords was well aware of the faulty parts and it should have been a recall. alot of people paid 5-600.00 to have it replaced at the dealer. shame on you fords :naughty:

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
I have an 07 so seems like it wasn't just the 05 but your right on it being most of the 4.0's like the mustang explorer etc. Due to time restraint and lack of tools I just paid a local shop to do it for $77 bucks and they finished in less than 3 hours (not sure when they started) but a total of 3 hours from drop off to pick up. Cant beat that!

sorry for the horrible pics, but thats all i had. you can see the rubber ring, 3/4" in from the grooved part that looks rough or tattered. it should look smooth. thats a sure sign. when i saw it i thought, na,surely it will last a while. nope about the time i noticed it the belt was squeeling just at start up, and within a week it got worse, then after work one day i started it up and looked while it was squeeling, i could see the outer part of the pulling moving in and out while it was running.

i think this was more of a 05 issue, and the guy at the dealer i talked to said it wasnt just the stangs, it was all the 4.0`s, trucks, cars etc. and they were doing alot of them. so fords was well aware of the faulty parts and it should have been a recall. alot of people paid 5-600.00 to have it replaced at the dealer. shame on you fords :naughty:

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
i need to look into this, theres a noise my car makes i havent liked for a while might be this.. ill try a video and checking this out what are the part numbers for replacement?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back